Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Owner!!  (Read 3269 times)

Silvangelz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Owner!!
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:39 AM »

Hello! I just joined this site not too long ago after becoming a proud new owner of my chinchilla (please don't laugh at the name- it was my daughter's idea!) Chewy! I practically rescued Chewy from a friend that was getting ready to give him to a pet store like Uncle Bills to get rid of him. She said she, and I quote, 'developed an allergy to him'. I think she was just tired of taking care of him.  :flames: Well anyway, he's home with me now and I'm giving him great care! I made sure to read up on what he needs and everything. I have a huge problem though. I was not aware of the cage he would be coming to me in, which is way too small for an animal that likes to jump and play! I feel bad for him.  :'( I let him out to run as much as I can, which is a great new experience for him because I know my friend never let him out. I want to get him a new cage, however funds are short at the moment- I didn't realize how expensive these could be. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could anyone help? I really appreciate you taking the time to read this! Thanks.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: New Owner!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »

Keep an eye on your local classifieds and classified web sites, you may hook a used one cheaper.
Or search the net for plans on building one, that's usually the cheaper.
How big is the cage he's now in? I'm guessing he's full grown.
Glad to meet you by the way. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:13:19 AM »

::silly:: 
Silvangelz, 

Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum and to the Wonderful World of Chinchillas!

Thank-you for rescuing this precious chin, you are it's guardian angel, now and forever.   :::grins::

Can you post a picture of Chewy (I love the name  ::nod:: ) and his current cage?  I don't think the name is silly at all.

Yes, they love their "free run" playtime!  It's usually a 3-way tie between playtime, dust baths and treats for chinchillas.   :D

How old is Chewy?

What are the dimensions of the cage?  What is the distance between the wires of the cage?  (Vertically and Horizontally)  The most expensive part of the cage is usually the metal tray.  Many people think they can make one for less ... use to, yes ... now, no.  Martin's cages are about the most reasonable cages.  (http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/ )

You do want to get the ones with a pull out tray rather than a drop in tray.  The pull outs are easier for you and safer for him.

With the economy the way it is now ... some places closing down ... you might want to check the local/surrounding area pet stores to see if any one of them are closing and/or might have a cage you can purchase.  The wire of the cage needs to be 1/2 inch by 1 inch or smaller.

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  Cute picture of Cody, Debbie!  He must be the apple of your eye!   :::grins::
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:26:07 AM »

Hello,

Can you show us a picture of the cage?
 By the way, I think your daughter has a good sense of names.  Chinchillas will chew anything!
Well, at the moment you should let him out a whole lot since you can`t do anything with the cage right now.

Have you considered looking into building your own cage for him? ::shrug::
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:21:57 AM by Petco Chinchillas »
God Bless Chinchillas!

Silvangelz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »

I've thought about building him a cage but I don't think I could be handy enough for that! Chewy is probably 3-5 years old, but I'm not quite sure because he's been passed between a couple owners before he got to me. Poor guy. His cage measures L30xW15xH17. Way too small. I'm trying to attach pictures but having some troubles. I'll try in a different message, hopefully that works. Oh- and the spacing is 1/2' on the floor, but this weekend I'm going to get him something to be able to stand on to rest his feet.

Silvangelz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »

Here is a picture of the cage. I'll also attach one of him.

Silvangelz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »

And here he is.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »

::silly::   He is precious!

A little advice for the health of the little one ...

Please, remove all plastic from the cage ... chinchillas chew on plastic, often swallowing the pieces ... eventually his little digestive tract has a bunch of cuts in it from the hard plastic that does not digest, but sets up the perfect environment for a bad internal infection.

Do not put tape on an object that he is able to get to ... that's not healthy either.

What you are using for a hay holder in the bottom of the cage was once covered completely in plastic or paint ... most of which is gone now ... this is not healthy for your little one either.

Pieces of pine wood can be placed on the floor for him to rest his feet on and sandpaper to help keep it clean.  When a chin is on wire constantly, they can eventually develop bumblefoot (very painful).  Scrubbing/cleaning weekly a wire floor, shelf, balcony and/or ladder is a must ... traces of urine and poop will build up on them, leaving a growing ground for bacteria.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:33:50 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Silvangelz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »

Thank you! Yeah- the accessories you see in his cage are from when I originally got him, so thank you for the tips. The picture of him with tape in the background- I had placed him in a huge plastic tote temporarily when I first got him home so I could clean his cage- it was in such a bad state. Its was by no means a permanent place for him, and I had another friend watching him to be safe while I cleaned. Can I get the pine wood at any home improvement store? Thanks so much!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »

Yes any home hard ware store will have kiln dried pine, and make boxes, even just 2 sides & a top. He can stand on it and get under it. Best of all he can chew it, hey Chewy! ::nod::
I'd even put a shelf the length of one side. The cage is a tad small yes and bigger would be better, but anything you build or attach to this cage can be moved into another.

I have one similar for my half blind chin, but it's a over 3 feet long. I have a shelf right around and down the middle, and a 2 houses hung from the top at either end.
They love to climb, & bounce around so shelves huts and ledges are great when strategically placed.
I try to maximize all the space with in the cages, while having the floors open for running around.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up