Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pnumothroax (collasped lung)  (Read 2281 times)

jeanat

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Pnumothroax (collasped lung)
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »

Hello,  I have a baby chin who at 12 weeks of age was squished by my son, and suffered a collapsed lung with no broken bones. I found no info on the subject. I am posting what we did and what I think we could of done better in hopes that we can help someone else save their chin like we did.  When it happened Honey ran a few feet, rolled on her back and passed out. My son picked her up, she was gasping for breath. with in a couple of minuets she regained consciousness and was acting normal except for her rapid breathing. The Vet x-ray ed her and did a thoracocentsis (removed the air) we asked her to live, gave lots of kisses and started praying. Our Vet took her home with her. We brought her home the next day as she was too stressed at the Vets. She did well the rest of that day. the 3rd day she had to have the air removed again. She was put on antibiotics, at home she quit eating and drinking, we made a broth out of ground pellets,hay and glucose water and were unable to get enough into her. I went in search of oxbow critical care, started her on it and slowly got her eating and drinking again. We got the clean bill of health today, it took 2 weeks of intense care.  I think we should of gotten her on antibiotics immediately and had C.C. on hand. I also would have suggested to the Vet to send pain med. to the pharmacy to get cut down to the correct dose as we had none. I hope no one has to go through this but if you do I hope this helps and remember the main thing is getting to the Vet right away.

Donna

• Appreciation points: 2
  • donnaburk@att.net
    • View Profile
Re: Pnumothroax (collasped lung)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »

I am so thankful that Honey survived, what scary thing. Quick vet care is the best, and I always keep a bag of Critical Care on hand as it has saved many of mine. Feeding syringes are good to keep with the CC. You did some good work and you are right on target with the improvements in care. Good luck to you and Honey.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:17:48 AM »

::silly::  Fantastic!   ::clapp:: 

It is always wonderful to find people that take good care of their chins and are willing to do what ever it takes to help them survive.  You have a very lucky little chin there!  Had it been with many other people, it probably would not have survived. 

That little one survived for a purpose ... maybe so you could share your experience/treatment and help save another/other chinchillas.  A warning to others about how easily one can be stepped on and how much damage it can cause!

Or maybe just to continue to give back to you the love you have for it.   :::grins::

God bless that little furbie and keep it safe.   :)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:00:30 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »

That's awesome, thanks so much for sharing.
You just never know what you can run into with chinchillas I tell ya.I've seen some bad & strange injuries but that's the first collapsed lung I've hear of.
So happy things turned out well.
 ::clapp:: ::bouncyball:: ::thumbsup::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up