Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Angry little man  (Read 3753 times)

Zash

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Angry little man
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:38:23 PM »

I've recently gotten a chinchilla (His name is Rambo).  I saved him from, what seems to have been, a bad home.  From what I'd heard, he'd lived with another chinchilla that he didn't get along with.  He lost about half of his tail in a fight with the other Chinchilla.  Long story short, he's had a rough life.  The problem is, he's not friendly.  When I first got him, he seemed to tolerate having his chin rubbed and letting me talk to him.  I purchased a new cage for him a few days ago.  Since then, he's been nothing but angry.  If I sit next to his cage and talk to him, he tolerates it for a minute.  I can stick my finger in and, occasionally, scratch his chin but, after a second or two, he starts kinda barking at me and acts really angry (showing his teeth etc...).  If I try to talk to him, after that, he just continually grunts and acts angry.

I try to let him out of his cage every night or every other night for a little while at least and I've tried to be friends with him.  I realize that a good portion of this is due to him missing his old cage and/or the fact that he's had a hard life.  Is there anything that I can do to win his trust?  If I put my hand in his cage and just leave it there, he will usually just ignore it.  If I put my hand up next to him, he will smell it, then continue ignoring it.

Any advice would be great.  I've heard of people having trouble getting the trust of their little friend... but I've not heard of a case this severe :(

eddiing

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Angry little man
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »

Maybe you should give your chin sometime to adjust to the new surroundings?  maybe even use some of the old stuff from the old cage into his new cage with him? I don't think you shouldn let your chin out until the chin is comfortable with you. When you offer treats, how does the little one react? Do not wave the treat in his face trying to get his attention, put it in your palm and let the little one come to you naturally and then very slowly move your hand out of his cage and give him some space.

Make sure Rambo is eating and drinking water as well. I believe he just needs time to adjust, and since he had a rough life, he might need a even longer time to gain your trust. Patience goes a long way my friend!

Best of luck to you and welcome to the club! You will learn a lot from here, like I did!

-eddiing

Zash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »

He takes the treat and then goes back to being an angry/grunting little guy.  I think a lot of the problem really is his cage.  His old cage just had shavings in it for him to run on.  This one has the grating with shavings below it.  Maybe he's grumpy.

I have mixed emotions about giving him treats when he's like this.  I think giving him treats would, maybe, entice him to like me more.  At the same time, I don't want to reward him for the type of behavior that he's displaying.

I'm also having some serious problems with the dusting powder.  The first two times that I've given him dust baths, my blood pressure has shot way up and my lungs have just felt rotten.  Very painful to breath and very labored.  I'm, apparently, allergic to the dusting powder.  Is there any type of home-made (or non volcanic ash/pumice) dusting powder solution?  My only option has been to put him in a smaller cage outside with the dust bath.  This, obviously, isn't helping our relationship (since I have to catch him etc... to get him in the other cage).

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:06:12 AM »

Patience is the key . Just be patient with him. Talk to him softly. You have to earn his trust . It might take a good while but eventually He will come around .

Now with the dust bath issue. Try wearing one of those masks like for people with allergies when You give him the dust bath and maybe put an air cleaner in the room when you do it as well. That may help reduce the allergens that are causing you the problems.

Mel Apple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:27:56 AM »

I second being patient with him and maybe incorporating some of his old stuff into the new cage.

I've heard of bath dust irritating people's lungs before.  If you're using the fine, powdery dust, perhaps looking into a more sand like dust could help.  I don't think its quite as good as the other, but it could be less irritating if you don't want to wear a mask while dusting your fuzzy.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:03:16 AM »

::silly::  It is rare for a chin to be this way, more than likely, it has been mistreated in the past.  Chinchillas are like elephants ... they have L-O-N-G memories and are often hard to get acquainted with a new person/place and/or situation.  Patience, time and determination will usually win out in the long run.   ::nod:: 

::think::  But ... if it is a conflict of personalities, you're in trouble.  That's very rare, but does happen occasionally.

We've had two that were similar ... it took us about a year with one and we are still working with the other one.  The second one is named Fuss Budget.   :D

I agree with the others on moving some of the objects from the old cage to the new one.

The larger cage would normally be greatly appreciated by a chinchilla, but for those who are timid or feel insecure ... the smaller cage makes them feel more confined/safer and is or has become their "security blanket.  You've taken away his security blanket ... I would let him visit it at least once a day and keep it in his site constantly so that he will know it will still be there if he needs it.   :)

When you let him have playtime outside of the cage ... how do you catch him, if he is not friendly, to put him back into the cage? 

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Zash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »

He had a log thing in his cage as well as a little house (that he loves to sit on top of).  I put those in his new cage and he uses them.  He also really likes the wood perching block that's toward the top of the cage.  He seems to be liking the cage I think... just not me.  I haven't had any problems getting him back into his cage.  When he's done running/exploring, he'll usually just go back to his cage on his own and sit.  There has been maybe once or twice that I've kinda had to shoo him into his cage but it's never been a huge issue.

I will probably get one of those surgical masks and see if I can find some kind of air filtration system for my room.  I don't really mind taking him outside for his dust baths.  It kinda forces him to hold him for a few minutes.  He's never super hard to catch (while he's in his cage at least).  I can usually just grab him.  He kicks a bit but not enough to slip loose.  Once I get him in a comfy position, he's usually okay.

My main question is: When he gets mad and starts barking/grunting at me, should I continue to talk to him or just leave him alone at that point.  Is it a good or bad idea to offer him treats when he's acting like this?  He's usually okay for a few seconds when I talk to him and rub his chin.  Then, all at once, he'll just act huffy.

Annick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »

Hi there Zash!

I'm newbie chinchilla owner too.  I was wondering if your chinchilla's grunts might not be grunts of anger after all.  I know my oldest one, who both I still haven't named yet, will sit on a ledge and make a sound by himself, while the youngest one when I put them on the floor to run around will make a cute "poot poot poot" noise while he hops around.  I found this site that might help you.  But I think you mentioned he shows teeth,  :doh: I'm not too sure about that part.  But has he tried to bite you? :)

http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

Zash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »

His sound is really more of a "Get away, I'm scared" sound.  The next time that he starts up like that, I'll grab my camera and try to record it.  He also makes this really wheezing breathing sound when he gets agitated.  He did a lot better today.  I've been making an attempt to hold him for a few minutes everyday and give him a raisin while I'm holding him and he's being good.  I think he's starting to come around a bit.

He's never attempted to bite me.  He did nibble my finger while running around my room.  It was pretty cute lol.

I think holding him is really getting through to him.  I guess he's adjusting to my smell and touch.  My main question is... when he's mad and fussing, should I continue to talk to him and fool with him or just leave him alone until he cools off?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 05:59:09 AM »

::silly:: 
I have mixed emotions about giving him treats when he's like this.
  I would not give him a treat when he is doing something you do not want him to do ... a treat only encourages him to continue with the action.
I'm also having some serious problems with the dusting powder.  The first two times that I've given him dust baths, my blood pressure has shot way up and my lungs have just felt rotten.  Very painful to breath and very labored.  I'm, apparently, allergic to the dusting powder.  Is there any type of homemade (or non volcanic ash/pumice) dusting powder solution?  My only option has been to put him in a smaller cage outside with the dust bath.  This, obviously, isn't helping our relationship (since I have to catch him etc... to get him in the other cage).

Normally, I do not suggest using the dust bath sand, but in this case, I will.  The sand is not as good for his fur as the dust bath dust, but your health must come first ... if you are not around to take care of him, that would not be good for him either.   :)
I can usually just grab him.  He kicks a bit but not enough to slip loose.  Once I get him in a comfy position, he's usually okay.
Chins don't like to be grabbed and they do not feel safe if you are not supporting their hind feet at all times.  If their hind feet are not on something solid, they think they are falling ... that's what all the kicking and squirming is about.   :blush2:    You are frightening him each time this happens.
He also makes this really wheezing breathing sound when he gets agitated.
  This sounds like there might be some congestion in the lungs, it would not hurt to get him checked out by a good exotic pet vet.
I've been making an attempt to hold him for a few minutes everyday and give him a raisin while I'm holding him and he's being good.  I think he's starting to come around a bit.
  This is good ... just remember to always support those hind legs.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:23:02 AM »

Is he jumping around the cage and seem happy to be in there at all?
Maybe he likes it so much and he's afraid your going to put him back in the old one, so he's staying put.
Can he get out of this cage on his own if you left the door open, or could you rig it up so he can?
Has he got any stuff from his old cage in the new one? That might help let him know it's his for good.
Funny little critters they are.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up