Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1212 times)

cpdragster420

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Introductions
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »

Hello to everyone. I have 2 chins now, Mystery (ebony) and Cherry (standard)  I have had Cherry for 4 months and Mystery for 6 weeks.  I have begun introductions by letting them play together and use the same dust for baths, most of the time when running around they go their own separate ways, but when they get close I do notice some standing on hind legs, and once in a while some teeth chatter.  There haven't been any major battles, some dominance play, (Riding) and some minor fur flying from both, so far they don't seem to mind the time-out cage much, Cherry (an adventurous Chin almost seems to look around the area and look for Mystery when she is in the time-out cage. 

They have not once yet gone right after each other upon playing (they usually ignore each other until they cross paths the 1st time) and scuffling only happens when they get nose-to nose and some chasing (playing) as they tire out some, i have only seen seen full speed chases that didn't look too friendly once or twice from Cherry. 

When I see Mystery trying to ride Cherry most of the time she will run away, she hasn't accepted it yet. She doesn't seem to want to fight Mystery at all, I'm thinking that with Mystery being 3 months younger and smaller, she may see Cherry as a threat for now?

Always a learning experience this site has taught me a lot.

Thanks for the help and any opinions, I'm guessing as always patience is the key to success.

Jesse

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:27:18 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!   

I see you are referring to both of them as "she", so I am assuming both are females.   :)

Mystery could be seeing Cherry as a threat due to the size difference, but she may catch up to her in size eventually, but it's doubtful.  Ebonies are usually smaller than standards (but not always).  In the long run, the size will not matter, unless both are naturally dominant, then there could be a problem.  Mystery, the ebony, would be at a disadvantage ... eventhough I have seen some little ones be the real scrapper. 

Usually, when there is just two chins, they learn to get along, but, until you know they can be left together and will snuggle instead of fight, I would not leave them alone together.  Chinchillas will even act differently when their human parent is around, as apposed to when it's just the chins alone.  I often set just outside the room, within hearing distance, when I let two chins be alone together for the first few times.  Very smart little creatures.  They like to please so that they can be the center of attention, so their actions will show this when you are in the room.    :D   They sometimes change when you are not in the room.

Where did you get your chins?  Breeder?  Pet Store?  Friend?

Yes, patience is a must and it is well worth it when you finally see them snuggle, share food and groom each other.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cpdragster420

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »

Yes they are 2 females, i got them both, from different breeders. 

I do have a room available to sit outside and watch, I haven't tried that yet, but do feel comfortable trying that. 

The 1 other thing I wanted to mention is that during playtime Cherry is often quite Chatty with the soft happy Chirps, where Mystery is very quiet.  Usually Mystery wont make any noise until they get nose-to Nose and they scrap a little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up