Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin Breeders and Bad Weather  (Read 1253 times)

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Chin Breeders and Bad Weather
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

Hi everyone. I have a question. For those of you that live where possible tornadoes and hurricanes may form and you are a chinchilla breeder, what do you do with your chinchillas when bad weather comes?  ::shrug:: I asked my mother yesterday and she said "I guess they just grab their favorites and run!"  rofl  Is that what some of you do?  ::think::  I want  to start breeding chins in the future but I would like a few more questions answered before I start breeding them. I only have 1, but every thunderstorm that comes, I have my chinchilla downstairs in a small crate! :2funny:

Jessica L.
God Bless Chinchillas!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chin Breeders and Bad Weather
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:10 AM »

We had too many to evacuate (well over 100) but we are close enough inland that we would ride out a hurricane.  We did purchase a generator so that we could cool the chins in a power outage.  I know of a another large breeder that bought an air conditioned closed in trailer and she did have to load all of her ranch run cages into that trailer (one on top of the other) to evacuate for at least one hurricane.

Smaller breeders have an easier time of it.  Just be sure to have enough carriers for each chinchilla so you can move them in a hurry.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chin Breeders and Bad Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »

::silly::  Tornadoes and hurricanes are very rare in the part of Virginia I live in so, I don't worry about them that much.  We are on high ground, so I don't have to worry about floods.  But fire could be another thing.  The area we live in is wooded and there can always be a problem with electrical wiring or lightening or a power outage ... soooo ... 

We have central air, 2 backup window units and 3 freestanding units + a generator.   

Our central air broke down once ... we didn't have any backups then. We went out and purchased a window unit for the chins ... they stayed cool.  Bill and I put up with the heat for 4 days while waiting for a new part to come in. 

If there was a fire, I probably could not put them in carrying cages fast enough (we have 100+), but Bill made stands on rollers for all my cages.  All we would have to do is open the doors (2 - one on the back and one on the side) and roll them outside ... from there we could load them in the van and car.   :::grins::

Always have a plan and backup supplies!  (And an alternate plan so if the first one fails, you can still keep your little ones safe.)   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up