News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ouch!  (Read 1552 times)

olivia41

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
ouch!
« on: May 28, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »

i have a question about my chinchilla olivia...normally she is very happy-go-lucky and she is friendly, always jumping on everyone and saying hi. She is still doing all that but lately shes been chomping down on whoever's hands/legs/arms shes sitting on. She does normally nibble at us but never like this. it actually hurts! I don't know if she's mad about something or her teeth hurt or what..any ideas?

Pikachu

• SolsticeSun
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ouch!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »

I'm not entirely sure if this is correct or not, but I got a book from the library about Chinchillas ( it's a little kids' book) but it says that anxious or playful chinchillas will bite, and if they do you should gently blow on their face. I have NO idea if this works or not, but if she keeps biting where it hurts, I suppose you could try it. It won't hurt her or frighten her I think. Anyway, that's all I can think of.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:17:17 AM »

::silly::  Young chinchillas usually do not understand they are hurting you ... you have to let them know that this action is not acceptable.  A loud/sharp "Ouch" from who ever is being nipped and an immediate return to the cage will let her know this.  Chinchillas love their free play time outside of the cage ... by loosing this each time, they learn not to nip.  Usually.  Chins are very smart and learn to associate things quickly.

But, at the same time, there may be something you are doing that it does not like, and that is it's way of asking you to quit.  A hard nip is usually a warning that they will bite and bring blood if you do not stop what ever it is that is making her mad.

Chinchillas do not like wind/breath in their face ... also, you could pass on germs to a chin by blowing in it's face.  With some chins, this may not make them stop, only more upset with you.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »

I like to time out them as well, but yes a loud ouch each time should do the trick.
Mom's let them know when they are bitting to hard by a loud ouch as well, and I have seen a moms pick them up and put them out side the birthing box when they don't listen. It's so funny to watch.The kit will run right back to Mom and if it bites again out side it goes until it stops.  ;D
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up