Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wheel help??  (Read 1949 times)

britny330

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
wheel help??
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:10:06 AM »

I've been searching for a bigger wheel for my chinchilla because i had to get a substitute wheel for his last one that he broke, but this one is too small.  im looking for a 15 inch metal wheel, not a saucer, and all i can find is wheels for like 100$! im not sure what to do, im not rich and cant afford a 100$ wheel.  i was hoping they would be a max of 40 but i guess not.  does any one have any suggestions on some websites of cheap wheels??? ive tried looking every where :[

eddiing

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: wheel help??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »

quality cage company sells high quality wheels (chin spins) 15 inch for $55, its very quite.

i have gotten a cage and wheel from them, very nice customer service.

here is the direct link http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=129_142_143_144

-eddie

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:09:13 AM »

::silly::  You may want to check out EBay ... sometimes they have used animal equipment for sale on there.

We have 6 flying saucers and love them.  Any particular reason you do not want a flying saucer wheel?

Quality Cage's Chin Spins are made of wood ... I like the way they are made, but, I would have to question the type of wood it is made of (to make sure it is a wood that is safe for chinchillas) and also consider the fact that chinchillas love to chew wood.  Depending on the chin, it could be one that would have to be replaced fairly often due to the damage made by the chewing.   You also have to consider that some chins love to set and sleep in/on the exercise wheel ... chins poop, even in their sleep.  They often will urinate any where they might be at the time ... wood is absorbant and hard to clean as apposed to metal.

I've been searching for a bigger wheel for my chinchilla because i had to get a substitute wheel for his last one that he broke, but this one is too small.

::think::  When it comes to chinchilla exercise wheels, it's basically ... you get what you pay for.  Take the cost of the first wheel, the cost of the current 'substitute wheel' (which is, as you said, is "to small" - a wheel that is to small can cause spinal damage) and the new wheel ... are all three going to add up to less than $100?   Often a good investment on the front end is worth it in the long run.   ::)  I'd save up for a good one instead of looking for a cheap one ... just my opinion.   :)

If your chin is allowed out to run and play and has a large cage, a wheel would not be a necessity, but just an option.

::howdythere::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:17:38 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

britny330

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »

It did add up to less than 100$ because the first one came with him.  Today i got my 16" wheel off of ebay for 42$ and he loves it!  He is having a blast with it im super happy.  I want to put a pic of him going crazy on it soon :}

britny330

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »

oh and the reason id idnt want a saucer is because they are always more expencive than the normal wheels.. I plan on getting him a extra large cage soon and possibly after that I will save up for a saucer. thanks for the help though guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up