Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chin has some health problems :(  (Read 4433 times)

Georgez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My Chin has some health problems :(
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »

Hello all!
I'm George and I'm new in this forum.
I have a female chin about 1 and a hald year ago and I think she has some health problems but here in Greece we don't have vet's especially for chins and I'm really dissapointed  :(
Yesterday I took some photos of my chin to see you and if you can help me will be very greatful and also happy because I love this little exotic baby so much  :)

First of all I believe that she has fungus because she is scratching herself very frequently. The spots are behind her ears and at the middle of her body to both sides.

Second something is going wrong with her legs because is bitting her fur.

Third is loosing fur.

Fourth when I leave her out of the cage to run and play after a while usually when it running she fell down and stay there like she is dead.Maybe because of heat or low vitamins?

Fifth her four is very good from the middle of her body and to the head and bad from the middle to the tail.

I would like to see the pictures and tell me your opinion please.

Thanks for your reading time!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: My Chin has some health problems :(
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »

::silly::  Hi George!  Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!

Keep in mind we are not veterinarians ... just breeders and owners of chinchilla ... many of us with lots of experience.  We can give you our opinion and make suggestions, but you will be the decision maker as what you think will be best for your little one.   :::grins::    Without actually seeing female chin, even with the very good pictures you have posted, it's hard to try to pin it down.

How often does your chin get a dust bath? 

What type of weather do you have there at this time of the year?

Are the floors and balconies in her cage made of wire?  wood?  metal?

What kind of bedding are you using in the cage for her?  wood chips? shredded paper?

Do you have any other pets?

It almost looks like the feet are swollen ... Are they?  Is there any fever in the feet?  Redness?  Does she seem to show pain or pull her paw away if you put a little pressure on it?

Here in the United States, we have a foot powder for humans called Desinex.  It is used to get rid of athlete's foot, (a drying and/or cracking of the skin on the feet due to a fungus), it is used to clear up the fungus and/or irritation on the feet.  We often use it, mixed with the dust bath dust, to help a chin that might have a fungus infection.  Do you have any thing like that in Greece?  If you do, you might want to try that.

Do you have a picture of the cage she is in, that you could post?

How often do you change the bedding in the cage?

How often do you clean and  the cage itself?

Is there a hut/house in the cage?  If so, what is it made of?

On the loosing fur ... big clumps of fur to where you can see her skin, or just some on you everytime you hold her or pick her up?

What is the normal temperature inside the house?  Particularly in the room she has her cage in and in the room where you let her play.

In what room is her cage?  In what room does she play?

What type of heating and air conditioning system do you have in your home?  electric?  gas? oil?

Fur biting can be caused by stress.  Have there been new visitors to your home lately?

Sorry about all the questions ... we just need allot more information.

Is there a veterinarian that treats Guinea pigs, gerbils or hamsters?  If there is, you might be able to get the veterinarian to see your chin for possible fungus and possible bumblefoot.  Those are simple illnesses that can usually be treated in the same way as other small animals.

We will be watching for the answers to these questions, so that we may be able to help you with your little female chinchilla.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Georgez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »

Hi Jo Ann and thank you for your help!

My chin gets a sand bath whenever she wants it because the sand bath is always in the cage.
The weather here is hot actually and at this time we are close to 30 degrees but now I have her inside my room with air con and temperature close to 23 degrees.It's ok?
The cage that I have her inside has 3 floors. The bottom is made of metal and the other 3 floors is wooden with no wire.
I have putted some wooden toys inside her cage and a plastic igloo for bedding that she use it to sleep during the day.
My sister has a rabbit but we are not leave them to play together.
Yes her feet are swollen and a vet told me that she has dermatitis but no redness. Never pressure her feets to see if she pains I try it...
I can buy a foot powder even from USA using ebay thanks :)
I'm cleaning the cage every 3 days and her igloo as well.
She is not loosing so much fur only if I pick her up.
I have tried to found a good vet but no chance.... There are plenty of vet's knows about rabits, dogs, cats but for chins here we have a problem...
For sure Jo Ann help me more than  a vet :))
+1000000 times Thanks u!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »

::silly::  OK, I think I have converted this properly
At this time, where you live it is:
30 degree Celsius = 86 degree Fahrenheit ...... Your Outdoor Temperature
23 degree Celsius = 73.4 degree Fahrenheit.... Your Air-conditioned room

This is what we do here in our home for the chinchillas:
65 degree Fahrenheit = 18.3 degree Celsius ....Minimum
68 degree Fahrenheit = 20 degree Celsius .......Comfort Zone
70 degree Fahrenheit = 21.1 degree Celsius ....Comfort Zone
72 degree Fahrenheit = 22.2 degree Celsius ....Maximum

A formula we use here is: the temperature in Fahrenheit + the humidity must = less than 150 to be safe for a chinchilla ... to keep it from having a heat stroke.

This URL ( http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm ) is to a site that will convert your Celsius to Fahrenheit so that you can use it there, if you would like to do so.   :)

... when I leave her out of the cage to run and play after a while usually when it running she fell down and stay there like she is dead.Maybe because of heat or low vitamins

When you let her out to play, you may want to let her out for a shorter period of time .... Like, if you let her play for 30 minutes in one play time ... Only let her play for 15 minutes, but let her out to play two times instead of just the one time. 
 I would also consider lowering the temperature in the room while she is playing.  She may be over heating.  You can tell if she is getting to hot by feeling of her ears ... they will feel warm, instead of cool like they should.  You can look at her ears and see the veins in her ears much more clearly when she is getting to hot.

The next time you take her to a vet, please ask them to check her for a possible heart murmur.  If she does have a heart murmur, you will have to be very careful with her when she is playing and anywhere you take her.  She will not be able to play as long or as hard and she use to do and she will have to have it cooler.

You can go to a place that sells floor tiles and ask for one that is made of granite ... the thickest one you can find and get two of them.   Keep one in the coolest place in the house and the other out on the floor when she is playing, then move it to the bottom floor of the cage when she ends her playtime.   If you see her go to the tile and set on it after she has been playing, this is your cue to put her up ... she is getting to warm and is getting tired.

In her cage, you could put a jar with cubes of ice in it ... use a metal lid and screw it on tight.  This will help cool the air in her cage and condensation will form on the outside of the jar ... she will lick this nice cold water ... it will help her cool down also.

Sometimes we don't always know what they need or when they need it, but when we automatically have it there for them all the time ... they will use it when they need it.    :::grins::

My chin gets a sand bath whenever she wants it because the sand bath is always in the cage.
Chinchillas need a dust bath dust ... not sand ... the sand is much to harsh on the delicate fur of the chinchilla and will not get it as clean as the dust bath dust.  Dust bath dust is made from volcanic ash.  Also,  if you leave the dust bath in the cage all the time, they will urinate in it.  The urine in the sand will cause bacteria and fungus to build up and can make her sick.  They only need to have the dust bath dust in the cage about 15 minutes each day (in the summer) and 2 or 3 times in the winter.   In the winter the air in your home is dryer because of the heater and to much dust bathing can dry the skin of your little one.

I have putted some wooden toys inside her cage and a plastic igloo for bedding that she use it to sleep during the day.
Plastic is not good for a chinchilla.  Chinchillas will chew on almost anything they can get their little teeth into.  If the plastic igloo shows any signs of being chewed on, please remove it and replace it with a wooden hut or a cardboard box about the same size.  When chinchillas chew on plastic, it comes off in chunks ... they eat the chunks with sharp edges.  Plastic will not dissolve in the digestive system and can cause many little cuts, which can cause your chin to have internal infections and get very sick.

Yes her feet are swollen and a vet told me that she has dermatitis but no redness. Never pressure her feets to see if she pains I try it...
I can buy a foot powder even from USA using ebay thanks  :)
I think getting some dust  bath dust and adding about 1 teaspoon of the Desinex Foot Powder will probably help her.

She is not loosing so much fur only if I pick her up.
OK ... a quick lesson on how to hold a chin.   Always support her hind feet ... if her feet are dangling in mid air ... she thinks she is falling or going to fall, so she is squirming and you are holding her tighter and tighter.  One of the self-defences for a chinchilla in the wild, is to leave a predator with only a mouth full of fur.  (When feeling trapped or in danger a chinchilla will allow it's fur to slip as a means of getting away.) 

::)  Also, the chinchilla usually loves it's human parent and does not want to make them mad by urinating on them, so, if she suddenly starts squirming and trying to get loose ... she may want to get down to 'take care of business' so she won't pee it on you.   ::nod::   

If you must restrain her in a situation where if she gets a way, she could get hurt or injured ... to do this scoop your chin up and allow it's hind legs to rest in your hand ... use your finger that is closest to your thumb and your middle finger to put the chins tail between them ... not right at the base of the tail, only about an inch from the base of the tail ... if you hold it to close to the base, she will allow the fur on her hip to slip ... if you hold it to far out ... you might break the tail ... hold it gently, but firmly about an inch from the base of the tail until you get to an area that it is safe to turn her loose.

Always hold your chin close to you ... not away from your body ... as long as she is close to you, she feels safe.  Sometimes they like to hide their face in the area between the top part of your arm and your side.  When they do this, they feel safe ... they can hear your heart beat and because they can not see what is going on around them, they are like a little child that thinks if they hide their eyes you can't see them because they can not see you.   :D  Let her snuggle there, or against your chest or under your chin/neck area ... these are places they usually feel the safest.

I'm always glad to help any way I can.  This is a pretty good group here ... I think most chinchilla people are some of the nicest people in the world.   ::nod::

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:49:32 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:47:25 AM »

Jo Ann has covered everthing, I just want to keep on eye on this thread.
Always learning. ::nod::

One thing I might add is if you need to look closely at her and keep her feeling safe, sometimes wrapping her like a baby in a towel will help.I find this good for checking teeth, feet and hair rings on male.
Debbie.nl.ca

Georgez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:31:53 AM »

Good Morning to all members and thank you for your best replies relating my problem (actually don't have words to thank you!)

I get some pictures yesterday to show you my chin behaviour...

This is happening even if the temperature of the room is near to 22 degrees...Overheated or ?

Very frequently does this... Is it normal??? She hides herself behind her toys.

Her cage...Maybe these wooden shelves create these things under her foot?

I didn't found any seller with Desinex on ebay... Can I use this? http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=699

She scruthing herself so frequently sometimes :(

Something unrelating... Can I make her a bath? Can I brush her fur? Is it normal to chew the walls???

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:45:53 AM by Georgez »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »

Her positions look normal to me.
Those wood shelves look like press board/plywood or some kind of particle board. They will splinter and the glue is not good for her to chew. I would replace them with pine boards.
Yes you can comb her to shed her of the loose fur. Anything will help a comb, brush or even a rubber cat mitt.
Usually we groom with combs against the fur, but for now I would just stroke her in the direction the fur grows.
If the dust bath was left in the cage she may have peed in it and rolled causing her fur to look bad.
Maybe place a tile in her cage for her to cool herself on.
Keep us posted.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »

::silly::   22 degree Celsius = 71.6 degree Fahrenheit   You are in the safe range.   :::grins::

Very frequently does this... Is it normal??? She hides herself behind her toys.
  This is very normal ... chinchillas prefer and feel safer in an enclosed place ... in the wild, they live between the cracks and crevices of the rocks to protect themselves from prey.

Her cage...Maybe these wooden shelves create these things under her foot?

Wood does not usually cause what appears to be bumble foot.  Bumble foot is an inflammation of the feet and paws ... generally caused from having to stand constantly on wire shelving and wire floors  {usually ones that are not kept clean}   

Also, I agree with Debbie ... if the shelves are plywood or pressed wood, I would replace them with untreated solid pine wood shelves.

What might look like bumblefoot, but is an infection/inflammation can be caused from standing in it's own urine.

didn't found any seller with Desinex on ebay... Can I use this? http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=699
That does not say it is made for chinchillas AND it is a spray (liquid), so it would get your chin wet ... I would not use it.
You might want to check with your local pharmacy and ask if they have any powder that would be used to prevent/treat fungus/athletes feet on human feet.  Make sure it does not have any odor controllers in it and check with your vet to see if he/she thinks it would be safe for a chinchilla.  I'll go down and get one of the containers of Desenex and post a list of it's contents ... that might help your pharmacist find something you can use for your chinchilla.

Something unrelating... Can I make her a bath? Can I brush her fur? Is it normal to chew the walls???

Bath?  Chinchillas can not get wet ... they take a bath in volcanic ash or chinchilla dust bath dust.

Brush her fur?  It's better to comb it with a big tooth cat/dog comb, if you can not find a chinchilla comb.  Some of the cat/dog brushes you find in the pet stores will damage the fur and have sharp ends that can scratch her skin.   Human brushes with rubber tips or one you would use for a small child would probably work.  What ever you use ... do it slowly and carefully ... just a small area at a time.

::think::  Hadn't thought about a rubber cat mitt, but that would probably work great ... the static electricity that would build up would help the dead fur to cling to the mitt.   :::grins::  Great idea, Debbie!

Normal to chew the walls?   It's normal for them to chew anything they can get their little teeth into.   :D   That's why you have to watch them carefully ... some things they might find to chew on or eat, can be deadly for them.  If you live in an older home that might have layers of wallpaper or painted wood work that was painted with paint that contained led, I would greatly discourage her from chewing on them.  The glue used many years ago to put up wallpaper often had arsenic in it.  Much of the paint from many years ago contained led, which can cause death by the means of lead poisoning.

My Little Jamie

Georgez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:35:10 AM »

Hi to all!
Today was a difficult time for my chin because I pick her up and starting to remove the old fur from her body and try to clean up her ears that was full of dead skin!
I couldn't believe it!She was full of old fur from the half of her body and to the tail together with dust inside.
Finally the result was impressive!
Better fur and ears as well!
The vaseline made a great job on her ears helping to clean them!
Tomorrow I will resume my job and I will keep u posted  :::grins::

Georgez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »

After 2 hours of the cleaning her eyes become watery?Maybe some sand in on?This thing is only on the right eye :((( and have it half close some times..

What happened now??? :((

I will definetely get her to the vet.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:38:20 AM »

::silly::  Maybe she got a little piece of fur in her eye when you were cleaning her.  It should clear up as soon as it comes out and she has a little time to let it heal ... if something in the eye is the problem.

A vet check never hurts.   :::grins::

My Little Jamie

Georgez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »

My chin still has only the right eye watery :(
I went her to the vet but he didn't know what was the problem :(
What I have to check?
Maybe a lot of things?
Pages: [1]   Go Up