Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bogart & Cagney  (Read 1710 times)

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
Bogart & Cagney
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »

Well, Bogart loves his new male buddy "Cagney". Cleaned down the whole cage last night, fresh hay, and "their give some goodies out of our box mommie", added a second water bottle, seems to be using it alot.
  I noticed on Cagney that his nose seems to be a little bit longer than Bogarts, almost like a rat nose. Now, I doubt a rat and a chin mated!! Is this  genetic?? I don't plan on breeding them, he is a Violet. He has gotten really tame like Bogart so I am happy with my 2 boys.

Laurie
Black Viper's 500 LMTD

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Bogart & Cagney
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:47:51 AM »

... I noticed on Cagney that his nose seems to be a little bit longer than Bogarts, almost like a rat nose. Now, I doubt a rat and a chin mated!! Is this  genetic?? I don't plan on breeding them, he is a Violet. ... Laurie
The nose thing is something that you will see when a breeder or breeders on back up the line, have gone to many generations without reintroducing a good blocky pure standard gray back into the line. 
Personally ... I like to breed in a good pure standard gray back into the lines ever other or every 2 generations. 
This nose trait is not unusual with violets and sapphires ... they are the "newest" colors that have been added to the short list of chinchilla colors.  When building a genetic line of a particular color, in the beginning there is allot of cross breeding of the same color back to itself ... once the color is established ... then, the standard grays are brought back into the line to strengthen the line.  It takes a few generations of good/proper breeding to eliminate or soften the sharpness of the nose. 
I have seen many violets in the last few years with good blocky noses that have been properly mated. 
Many times you will see a pure violet with both parents that are pure violets ... often, this is s "shortcut" ... a bad one ... that some breeders will take because they want to breed all pure violets because they can sell them at a higher price. 
A pure violet should be put into breeding with a pure standard gray or a standard gray/violet carrier ... in my personal opinion.  You may get a mix of standard gray violet carriers and pure violets, but, usually, they are of a higher quality.

Regardless of the pointed or rounded nose, or of the standard gray/violet carrier or pure violet, or of any color, male or female ... they are all very lovable and can make wonderful pets.

BUT the proper breeding is what will assure the future of all chinchillas.

::wave::   Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Bogart

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Bogart & Cagney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »

Hi JoAnn:
Thanks for the info on Cagney, I have never seen a "long nose" chin. They call him a Rare Violet, has the white stomach and all. Has put on some real good weight, that, he didnt have when I got him. They have turned in to 2 great buddies for one another,

Oh, thye like the ferret T-Pee, has 4 zippered sides and they both sleep together, also went to Lowe's, and bought my own 2 granite blocks to keep them cool. They really like them alot, LOLO.

Cagney has been coming around since I put them in the same cage after 2 weeks, Bogart gets pissy cause I am holding Cagney, when I hold Bogart...Cagney could care less:):):)

Bogart is the Standard Gray and Cagney is the Rare Violet
Black Viper's 500 LMTD

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »

They are some sweet. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up