Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't find where chinchilla is peeing  (Read 4281 times)

whiskers387

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Can't find where chinchilla is peeing
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »

If i can't find where she is peeing how am i supposed to clean it up?

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find where chinchilla is peeing
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

Our chinchilla prefers backing up to a corner and peein'...Once it drys it's sort of hard to locate. Do you have any hammocks or anything like that in your cage? I know I've heard that they'll sometimes pee on them. Then you wouldn't notice a spot on the bedding I would gather if they are choosing that spot verses. What's your cage like...could she be peeing someplace other than her bedding is what I'm wondering...if it's on something you'll notice the dried area of urine. I noticed our chin was peein' in his empty dust bath house. So out it came...since I don't wish him to think that's his bathroom area...and I'm trying the litter training technique found on the magazine area of the site. So far...knock on wood...he's been using his litter box...he's young so that is also in my favor.
~Darlene

whiskers387

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

Our chinchilla prefers backing up to a corner and peein'...Once it drys it's sort of hard to locate. Do you have any hammocks or anything like that in your cage? I know I've heard that they'll sometimes pee on them. Then you wouldn't notice a spot on the bedding I would gather if they are choosing that spot verses. What's your cage like...could she be peeing someplace other than her bedding is what I'm wondering...if it's on something you'll notice the dried area of urine. I noticed our chin was peein' in his empty dust bath house. So out it came...since I don't wish him to think that's his bathroom area...and I'm trying the litter training technique found on the magazine area of the site. So far...knock on wood...he's been using his litter box...he's young so that is also in my favor.
He has a hammock and 4 ledges not counting the ground, and the bedding im using is supposed to swell up when it gets wet, how often does your chin pee? and could you maybe share with me that potty training trick if it works

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »

He has a hammock and 4 ledges not counting the ground, and the bedding im using is supposed to swell up when it gets wet, how often does your chin pee? and could you maybe share with me that potty training trick if it works

I am not sure of the rules...I know you need a membership for that area of the forum...Not sure if I'm allowed to post the information I gained there or not...Something I would have to ask a moderator. Though it's only $10 a year...and the info I've gotten so far was a great read. And like I said...I see our chinchilla using the litter box. He's 8 weeks old. The younger the easier it is it stated to train. But as soon as I offered it to him...after preping the area...Wa~La...he's used it ever since. No pee areas elsewhere.

Hm-mm not sure he could be peein' in his hammock. You would see it on the ledges...
~Darlene

whiskers387

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »

I am not sure of the rules...I know you need a membership for that area of the forum...Not sure if I'm allowed to post the information I gained there or not...Something I would have to ask a moderator. Though it's only $10 a year...and the info I've gotten so far was a great read. And like I said...I see our chinchilla using the litter box. He's 8 weeks old. The younger the easier it is it stated to train. But as soon as I offered it to him...after preping the area...Wa~La...he's used it ever since. No pee areas elsewhere.

Hm-mm not sure he could be peein' in his hammock. You would see it on the ledges...
Is 4 months young enough to train?

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:51:05 AM »

I'm not sure...I would think that 4 months is still considered young. And it says it's best taught to young chinchillas...Still waiting on an answer though about if I'm allowed sharing tidbits gathered from the magazine part. ;)
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »

::silly::  I'll bump that up to Jamie ... she's the owner.   :::grins::

What is the URL to that part of the magazine you are talking about?

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »

I'm allowed to post the link!?!

I did post the question and was answered back  from Jamie as long as I "didn't" copy the link...I could tell how it's done in my own words. The article was written by Katrina E. Housel. Her website link doesn't open that is attached to the article.

Basically you take the soiled bedding scoop it up and add it to a pan with clean bedding that you plan on making your litter box. Place the litter box near the wet area. And continue to scoop and place wet soiled bedding into the pan. Next time you clean the cage...leave the tray bare of bedding. And save a scoop of soiled bedding and add fresh bedding to the litter pan and add the scoop saved to it. And place back into the cage.

I found that our chin...without bedding on the tray...is going to the litter pan with no trouble at all with urinating...now the poo...isn't to be expected to be collected in the litter pan. Just the urine... ;)
~Darlene

squeakie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »

my chin just knocked it over and started trying to chew the pan. What type of littler pan do you use?

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »

my chin just knocked it over and started trying to chew the pan. What type of littler pan do you use?

Currently...a glass loaf pan. But I'm having a stoneware ceramic litter pan custom made... ::silly::
~Darlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up