Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Angry Chinchilla  (Read 3373 times)

peccadillo4

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Angry Chinchilla
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »

I'm not personally a chinchilla owner, but I do take care of a few of them at my job, a zoo internship. Usually they're shy animals that need to be coaxed out, but I'm used to having to deal with that. But we have this new chinchilla I'll call Lola who is - well, I've grumbled about her being pure evil.

But that's not true because Lola was neglected by her previous animal owner. As sad as it is, the owner was a very busy woman who never handled Lola and as a result, Lola has no idea why we keep trying to handle her. She jumps and runs everywhere, has jumped over my shoulder and run around the animal room before I can catch her. And she has peed - from at least a foot away - into someone's mouth - direct hit - TWICE. And she's hit my jaw with her foul urine before. She's a skilled chinchilla warrior. As good as exercise is, this obviously isn't healthy for her to be in constant fear - and it obviously isn't good for us to have urine in our mouth.  ::wacko::  ::puke::

The regular animal keepers - the ones who are paid and went to college - are having trouble with a lot of new animals, and tend to avoid her, so I've sort of made it my goal to try and get her to at least tolerate people by the end of the summer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

:chin: :chin: :chin:

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Angry Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:14:39 AM »

::silly::  She is going to need some major one-on-one time with an individual 24/7 ... the zoo is not the place to get it.  That is the wrong atmosphere for this little one.

Female chinchillas are very accurate up to 7 feet.  I know.   :D

Chinchilla females rarely spray ... that is a self-defense mechanism built into them ... one that is normally used only to defend themselves and their kits.  (OR if they are mad at you).  Chinchillas have a full array of all the emotions humans have and will display each and every one of them.   This little one is scared.   ::scaredspeachless::

...grumbled about her being pure evil. ...

I've never known a chinchilla to be evil ... just scared, frightened and very unsure when it comes to humans.  :-\   If she was "evil" she would be nailing ever person that got close enough to bite.   Because she does not bite, she is trying to let y'all know she is scared.  Of course, if someone doesn't reach her and calm her soon, she might start biting.   ::)  When a chinchilla is scared/frightened/in danger it tries to avoid biting ... that is usually reserved as a last resort.   ::nono::  You are all being warned, by her, in the only way she knows how, to leave her alone ... she is scared, but she really does not want to bite/hurt you.  Keep in mind this is normally a timid little creature who has been misshandled and abused by a human.  If you can possibly imagine being taken away from your family and friends (never to see them again) by a creature as big as a house, that alone is enough to scare the willies out of you.  And, on top of that, instead of being handled and taken care of properly, you were abused by this creature.  (This is the delema this little chin was in and, as far as she knows, is still in right now.) How would you react to other creatures like this one that has been so mean to you?   ???   Please do not think I am being hateful, I'm just trying to explain the chin's point of view.   :)

Here's how it normally goes (in the normal order) when a chinchilla is scared/frightened or hurt:
1)  they try to run away
2)  they stand and fuss at you
3)  if cornered, they try to push your hands away with their paws
4)  at this point the female usually sprays you, trying to warn you of what might be instore if you keep it up  (and yes, they usually aim for the face/mouth/eyes because that is the area on most creatures, that will usually cause the other creature to leave them alone ... it tastes bad and burns the eyes).  Males usually skip this step ... I've never even seen a male spray a person.
5)  they will nip you firmly, as a warning, but not break the skin  (if upset enough, the chin may skip this step)
6)  They clamp down with a good firm, hard bite that often goes to the bone.   If frightened enough, you may think they have lock jaw, but they are just trying to get you to leave the area they call home.

If this does not deter the assailant they repeat steps 4, 5, and 6, in rapid order.

Chinchillas that are treated properly can become one of the sweetest creatures on earth.   ::nod::  They entertain us, get us laughing at the end of a long hard day and are better than any medication a doctor can give you. 

She's a skilled chinchilla warrior.

Only because a human made her that way.  Don't be mad or take it out on her ... her previous owner  ::tickedoff:: deserves that wrath.

As good as exercise is, this obviously isn't healthy for her to be in constant fear - and it obviously isn't good for us to have urine in our mouth.     ::wacko:: ::puke::

She can get exercise playing and running on a wheel in her cage ... the playtime is meant to be, and needs to be, a happy time with interaction with their human caregiver.  That should be what playtime is all about.

Chasing her to try to catch her, just reinforces her fear of humans.  She needs to have time to get use to a person (while she remains in the cage) and see that they want to talk to her, give her attention and love ... not abuse, which is all she knows of humans at this point.  It will take allot of time and patients, but she is not in the atmosphere she needs to be in at the zoo.

She needs an individual person to take her home and treat her like one of the family ... in my opinion ... that's the only way this little one can find a way to be happy and to make others happy.  Chinchillas sense harsh feeling/words and actions and they have a very long memory.

I've have been given a couple like her over the years ... time, patients and love is what it takes.  She needs only one more owner ... the one that can spend the time, has the patients and will be able to teach her all humans are not bad.   As a long time breeder, if a little one comes back to me ... for any reason ... they have a home with me for the rest of their lives.  Chins do not need to be passed to first one human then another ... they need the love and loyalty of one person or one family.

I do not know if this zoo will put this chin in a 'petting' part of the zoo, but I would recommend not doing so ... she's been through enough and the zoo does not need the liability ... just find her a good forever home.  Just my thoughts on the subject.  Where is this zoo located?  If it is close enough and the zoo can not find anyone else to keep her, she will have a home with us.

::wave::  Jo Ann

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:25:25 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

peccadillo4

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »

Thank you! And I'm sorry about some of the sarcasm in my comment, I just get cranky when I have urine all over my shirt. I really don't feel that way towards Lola - my negative feelings are more directed at the situation. 

She's not an animal for petting or display, but rather in a section for animal presentations in education programs - which is totally NOT the place for her. Lola's definitely NOT going to be used for presentations  ::nono:: - we're just taking care of her. And due to bureaucracy issues [  :doh: ] , I'm not sure how the zoo would deal with the idea of someone taking her home.

This chinchilla usually sprays first ask questions later. I'm thinking - because I happen to have met the previous owner a few times in the past and I know she's temperamental - that this is a result of experience; I can see the owner ignoring getting bit or scratched or squeaked at, but totally freaking out at being peed on. The chinchilla probably thinks that urine is the best way to get humans - specifically that owner - away from her.

Today I had to hold her for a bit and she took a while to calm down - but then I began petting her, she relaxed a bit, and then I began scratching behind her ear - and she became putty. Her eyes were closed and she was calm. It totally made my heart melt  ::kiss99::

In the future, I'll stop actually holding her in my hands and more stuff like just sticking my hand in to pet her, giving her some positive attention, a few treats, and then see if she starts to warm up. I'm going to have more time this summer to see her, maybe every early morning since they're sort of nocturnal?

And this really isn't a bad zoo or education department, our plate is full with a lot of unnecessary reorganizing, dealing with a bad person-in-charge, and are changing supervisors, AND receiving a good deal of new animals.  :doh:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:18:04 PM by peccadillo4 »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »

Awww she's lucky to have you in her life right now. ::nod::

The chinchilla probably thinks that urine is the best way to get humans - specifically that owner - away from her.
Smart little cookies they are. ;D
It's a shame you will have to leave her, but I do hope you can get her more people friendly before the summer is over.
It may be her only chance at having a nice life.
Others may take more of a liking to her if she became interested in them.
They can change.
I had 2 that were five years old when I purchased them from a fur breeder that didn't even give them names. With in a few months they were 2 of the sweetest chins I owned.
One just passed at 13, and his female mate I still have.
Never give up.

Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up