Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kittens and chins  (Read 5947 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Kittens and chins
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:25:46 PM »

I am thinking about getting a kitty. My friends friend is giving them away. My boyfriend and are arn't sure if we want a cat. I want it more than he does. My main question is how do kittens/cats get along with chins? or would I always have to make sure that cat wasn't around them? I'm going to be moving into a two bedroom apt with him in a few months. The chins are going to have there own room and if we got the cat, i'm not to sure where we would put the little box. But it would prob go in the bathroom.

Also do littler boxes really stick up a house? Hes going to be quiting smoking and he smokes inside right now. But he't not going to be smoking in our place. His point was that he doesn't want to trade the smell of cigs for a litter box smell.

Thanks!

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Kittens and chins
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:55:52 AM »

When we liked up in Alaska we had 8 cats. And the newest one was a kitten. I always watch her around Peaka. But Peaka knew how to take care of himself. When ever any of them put their paws through he would bit them. Oh our cats were de clawed. And later I found that when any of the cats would sit next to his cage and their tails would get into his cage he would come whipping out of his sleeping place and grab the tail and bite :::grins::. So the cats never really bothered the chin. Even the kitten didn't bother him. As for the liter box, it depends on what kind of litter you use. We now have 3 cats, and we have 2 litter boxes. I use tidy cat and that has always worked for us. We have a two story house so one box is down stairs in the bathroom and the other one is in the bathroom up stairs. I change the litter boxes every week. That way it doesn't stink. At wal-mart there is some kind of powder that is all natural and you can sprinkle it over the litter and that is supposed to help but I never tried it. I hope this helps. Good luck
Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:33 AM »

I meant when we lived in Alaska. Stupid fingers hitting the wrong keys :doh:
Quyana Shannon Seager

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »

I don't have cats...but I did care for my neighbor's cats this past fall. And I found the two litter boxes in the mud room made me want to gag...I would spray the air freshner they had there through the kitchen, dinning and living room areas. I went up daily...I gagged to when I cleaned the litter out. For I use a shovel to clean up waist from our dogs mess in the yard. And...my nose isn't accustomed to being that close to the stuff. But as soon as you got near the mud room door...it was definately stronger in odor. Now my SIL keeps her litter box down by the furnace in the furnace room. So you don't smell a think in her home with her two cats...It may have been something to do with the brand of litter...but I was cleaning two litter boxes DAILY and ick...it smelled in my opinion...I guess you get used to the faint odor though...

We had recently gotten a snake...and I would rather thaw a dead mouse any day over cleaning a cat box. But that's just me...

When we liked up in Alaska we had 8 cats. And the newest one was a kitten. I always watch her around Peaka. But Peaka knew how to take care of himself. When ever any of them put their paws through he would bit them. Oh our cats were de clawed. And later I found that when any of the cats would sit next to his cage and their tails would get into his cage he would come whipping out of his sleeping place and grab the tail and bite :::grins::. So the cats never really bothered the chin. Even the kitten didn't bother him. As for the liter box, it depends on what kind of litter you use. We now have 3 cats, and we have 2 litter boxes. I use tidy cat and that has always worked for us. We have a two story house so one box is down stairs in the bathroom and the other one is in the bathroom up stairs. I change the litter boxes every week. That way it doesn't stink. At wal-mart there is some kind of powder that is all natural and you can sprinkle it over the litter and that is supposed to help but I never tried it. I hope this helps. Good luck
Shannon

When you knew the cats were bothering the chin...why didn't you keep the door closed so they couldn't mess with the chin. Even if the chin did bite them...He evidently didn't feel secure if he came out of his sleeping place to bite a cat. I don't feel one should allow a chin to "take care of themselves" when we are their care takers...I don't mean to be harsh...but...I just am boggled at your theory...when you think of how many cats you had verses a chin in a cage...allowed to share the same room.

Rule of thumb in our house...The door to the chins room is kept CLOSED! We have dogs...and even the breeder we got the chins from had a dog. And the dog didn't mess with the chins and was allowed into the room...But why take the risk of putting the chins in a stressful situation. When one can easily close a door to the room they are housed in?

Same with our snake or turtles...When we get the snake out or the turtles...the dogs are then crated. Due to us being in the main area of our home with the reptiles.

~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:36:04 AM »

::silly::  Cats/kittens are beautiful and make great mousers  ::think:: ... chinchillas are in the rodent/mouse family.   :doh:  Cats/kittens love to play with soft furry little toys/creatures that move ... a prick from their claws can kill a chinchilla ... have the cat de-clawed?  What about the damage the teeth can do to a chinchilla?   If the cat does not scare it to death first.  

I had a very calm reserved adult cat (strictly indoors cat) when I got my first two chinchillas ... at that time, I did not know about the dangers of feline distemper and what it could do to a chinchilla ... Snuggs was content with just watching the chins from a distance ... the chinchillas were not ... they like to scare Snuggs to death when they were in their roll-a-bout ball ... the chins would take aim at the poor cat and get it going full speed.  Snuggles, the cat, finally learned all he had to do was to jump straight up into the air and come right back down to avoid the ball.   :D  But Snuggles was a very rare cat, he did not like to play with furry toys and preferred to just set and watch the chins play.  

Kittens are usually more curious than adults and have probably already been taught by their mother to chase and play with things that move and are soft and fluffy. Depends on the cat and on the chins ... I would not chance it again, even though Snuggs never bothered the chinchillas, he could have, very easily.  

What if you get very attached to the chins and to the kitten and then the cat/kitten kills one of the chins ... what would you do?  How would you feel towards the cute little kitten/cat then?    How much guilt would you share if it kills a chin?  

Feline distemper is highly contagious and will kill a chinchilla in less than 24 hours.  It can spread through a herd of hundreds in less than a week.  You will make sure your cat has it's distemper shots?  That would protect the cat, but cats like to run around outside, if they get the chance ... what if it walks over the same area that a cat with feline distemper or a carrier of feline distemper, then brings the virus back into the house on it's fur or paws?  Chins would start dying and you would have no clue as to what caused their deaths.

Why put your little ones in harms way if you do not have to?

Also do littler boxes really stick up a house?

Depends on the quality of the litter, if you clean the litter box daily and change it out weekly.  Most people put the cat litter box in the bathroom ... which normally is also one of the safest rooms to let your chin play in.  Almost all cat litters have odor controllers in them ... a chinchilla can not be around or play in a litter box with odor controllers in it.   Without odor controllers in a cat litter, you will quickly find out they have one of the foulest smelling poops of most domestic animals.

::wave::  Jo Ann

And later I found that when any of the cats would sit next to his cage and their tails would get into his cage he would come whipping out of his sleeping place and grab the tail and bite.
  Yes, the adults can usually take care of themselves and let another creature know they are not comfortable with them around  ... by taking a painful nip/bite or two ... the cats got the worst end of the deal ... but it could have been the other way around.  Some chinchillas are not so brave and are easily stressed.

We each have to take into consideration the chances we are/or are willing to take with the animals we keep and be prepaired to accept the consequences.  We each have to make that decision for ourselves and for our little ones.  Each animal/ each species has their own "as a rule" actions and reactions, and each has the ability to do what we "think" they will not do OR not do what we think they might do.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:48:57 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »

Our cats are all in doors cats and they are all de clawed. Up in Alaska they might have been eaten by the wolfs, foxes, bears, owls, or eagles and anything else. So they stayed in doors.
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »

::silly::  As before ... each cat/kitten/chinchilla is different and must be judged differently by their owners. 

We have two Great Danes ... one, Lady, has full access to the chinchillas and loves to play with them and they with her.  She gets nightly sugars from the chins before she goes to bed each night.

The other Dane, Raven, is not allowed anywhere near the chinchillas ... she views everything as a toy and something to chew on or eat. 

Both Danes were raised by us and in the same home at the same time, but each has a different personality. ... Our chinchillas are safe around one Dane, but not around the other Dane.

Each animal has to be judged by the owner as to what they will or will not allow their little ones do.   

We can not arbitrarily judge animals we do not know.

But Peaka (the chinchilla) knew how to take care of himself. When ever any of them put their paws through he would bit them. Oh our cats were de clawed. And later I found that when any of the cats would sit next to his cage and their tails would get into his cage he would come whipping out of his sleeping place and grab the tail and bite. :::grins::
It has been my experience ... If a chinchilla does not run and hide, but does take measures to try to teach the cats/or other animals/people not to stick their tails/paws/fingers in the cage.  This does not sound like a chinchilla that was afraid, but one that treated the cats as a pest, not a danger.   The cats were apparently very tolerant, or they would have attacked the chinchilla for biting them.   :)

Just my thoughts on the subject.

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:53 AM »

I recon your right Jo Ann...Our collie who is now passed on. Would have loved the chins. We took in a rabbit once until we could get it into a rescue. Our neighbors moved away in the winter and left the rabbit out of the cage instead of taking it with them. What I thought odd. Was the rabbit didn't take off but stayed close to their house... ::think:: Still haven't figured that one out. But we caught it and our collie loved the rabbit. Would lay with it and lick it...

Our Tank...I think "could" make friends with the chins...He's our lovable bulldog who is pretty laid back. Our other bulldog Sarge... ::) No words to describe that one. Other than he's the most vocal bulldog we've ever owned [him being #4] And...he's dog aggressive...we've taken him to classes and he's fine while on lead and won't lunge or bark. But if a dog walks by the yard...He's havin' a cow! Which our instructors stated even a non-dog agressive dog can be territorial. So I would NEVER trust him...EVER!

Tank loves sleeping with both boys through out the night. He'll visit each kid's bed. Since we've gotten the chins...we've not allowed that. And he's woken me up whimpering to sleep with Cole. Who's room the chins share...So maybe we can see how Tank proves himself around the cage with us in the room...and see if we might be able to give him those privileges back...

Ooops...sorry...didn't mean to hijack...back on topic...

Kittens and Chins...My SIL stated it all depends on the brand of kitty litter. As was mentioned earlier...as well as how often you clean it through out the week by scooping. And emptying and add fresh once a week. That's with the odor issue.
~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:36:40 PM »

Thanks for all the advice every one. I'm still not sure about the kitten, but i'm leaning more towards a no than a yes. I don't want to put my chins at risk and they will prob be stressed out when I move on July. I don't want to add to that. Also my boyfriend are I are more dog people than cat people. I know that kitty I so looks so cute thought. I keep meaning to post a picture of the kitten, but I'm not home much.  I know if i decied to get the kitten I won't let it around my chins.  ::silly::

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:42 PM »

I think in the end...you will do the right thing...if you do get the kitten. You'll use precaution and not let it harm your chins...as long as you do that...I think you'll be fine...

As for dogs...I'm a dog person...Here's my shadow he is always next to me no matter where I am in the house... His name is Sarge.

~Darlene

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »

cadillactaste,

Aww, Sarge is cute. I grew up with a golden retriver. He was more my brothers dog than mine though. He was a great dog for my brother and I. He's good around kids.

I know in the end I will do the right thing. I know if I do get the kitten I will keep it away from my chins. Here's a picture of the kitten. When the kittens were born they took them to the vet, but the vet wasn't for sure if this one was a boy or girl yet.

I'm trying to post a picture of the kitten, but its not working.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »

Ok, well it ended up working.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »

::silly::   How cute! 

Dog is God spelled backwards ... that's why dog is man's best friend.

Smitten is a slang for falling in love at first sight ... that's why it's called a kitten. 

::)  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:21:07 AM »

Thanks, I know!

Aww, I knew that dog was god spelled backwords, but I didn't know that want about the kitten. Thats cute!

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »

::silly::   How cute! 

Dog is God spelled backwards ... that's why dog is man's best friend.

Smitten is a slang for falling in love at first sight ... that's why it's called a kitten. 

::)  Jo Ann

What a cute saying...I had heard the saying about the dog...but the kitten is new to me...Put a smile on my face...

And...Hoppinchins that kitten is just to stinkin' cute! As for Sarge...we nicknamed him "FATHEAD"... ::) But he sends sloppy wet kisses straight from the water dish...
~Darlene
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up