Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chin Mom  (Read 5165 times)

Illusion

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chin Mom
« on: February 17, 2009, 05:44:28 AM »

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I recently got two Chins. Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and learning as much as I can.

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
Re: New Chin Mom
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »

WELCOME~~ :::grins::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

Illusion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:25:39 AM »

Thank You

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »

Tell us about your chins!  :::grins:: 

What color, male/female, age, names....all the good stuff?   ::nod::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

Illusion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »

Well, they are male and female, Mokie, is the male he's light gray, and Soot is the female, white with light gray marks around her eyes.
We went to the pet store to buy fish for the aquarium, I saw the Chins in a separate room, and fell in love with them. They were in a small cage, nothing in the cage but them. So we debated getting them, not ever having any experience with Chins at all. I had only seen a Chin one other time, and it was years ago. So as an early Valentines present Hubby brought them home. We have 9 Rabbits so we put the Chins in the Rabbit room. Away from the cats and dog. I'm giving them time to get used to the sounds of my voice, and the sounds of the house. Mokie will come up to me, but only on his terms. The Pet store said Soot is pregnant, and I'm not sure how far along she is, but I've been reading everything I can find on breeding, and pregnancy. The pet store said that they will buy the Babies from me, but that's not an option, if she is I'm keeping them. I hate going to pet stores, really. So I'm not going to add to the pet store animals. It's always so sad seeing them in small cages. As for age, I have no idea. I'm hoping that, they aren't brother and sister, and she's old enough, but I don't know for sure. I hope that someone elses mistake, doesn't cost me my heart. I check in on them often, and I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm always here, just in case something happens.

Illusion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:31:31 AM »

They are supposed to be Mosaics.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:49:14 AM »

::bouncyball::
New chins are so exciting, congrats on saving them.
I wouldn't put them together again just in case they are related, but the kits should be fine, and will make great pets.
Keep on eye on mom to see how big she is getting and watch for her to start sleeping on the floor.
When the kits are born you can introduce them to dad and then put male kits with Dad and leave the females with mom at seperation.
They do sound like mosaics, so lets see the little darlings ::gobananago::
we love pics  ::dancingspot::
Debbie.nl.ca

Illusion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »

Mokie, who reminds me of Kung Fu Panda's Master, when he does that.

Soot, My Pretty girl.
 The day we brought them home.

The Chins cage, before modification, Mokie could escape.

Is it ok, to leave them in it until she, has the kits, or should they be separated now?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:03:10 PM by Illusion »

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

Some what OK, I'd take him out as soon as you see signs of her getting close to delivery. She will go into heat as soon as kits are born, so he could impregnate her again.
Over the years you get used to knowing how each female acts when she's ready to pop. With new chins you have to be a little more careful.
She will get very round and a few weeks before you should feel life in the kits if you hold her with one hand under her belly.
She will also start spending more time on the floor of the cage.
They are beauties and white mosaics.
Congrats again, can't wait her hear of the birth.
Debbie.nl.ca

Illusion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 03:26:44 PM »

I will continue to keep a close eye on her. She stays as high up as she can for now, only comes down for her baths and food. I did read that she could get pregnant right after, so I'll avoid that. Thank you, they are so sweet. Do I have to worry about the Lethal factor, in the babies. I was trying to find info for after birth, I think I remember seeing that females can get an infection if given a dust bath, I don't really remember where I read that at. How long do you wait to give one after birth? I just need to make a list of questions when I think of them, it would be easier. Can Chins have toys made with Sisal rope or twine? I make toys for my buns, just wondered if it would be suitable for Chins too. Thanks for all your help.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:06 AM »

::silly::   Hi!  And Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum!   They are beautiful white mosaics!

I would strongly suggest getting a whelping cage a.s.a.p. if she is pregnant.  The cage she is in will allow the new kits to fall/crawl out between the wires.  If the fall to the floor does not kill them, they could get chilled and die, or starve.  These little ones can go much futher, much faster than you can imagine.  They love quiet dark places and may not be found in time to save them.

A whelping cage must have wire 1/2" x 1" or smaller and be no more than 15" high. for the kits to be safe.  When kits are born, they are born with the eyes open and fully furred.  Usually, within an hour, they are playing.  Within 24 to 48 hours, they will climb to the top of the cage.  They can climb up, but not down, soooo ... when they reach the top, they turn loose and fall to the bottom ... the fall can kill ... or hitting anything on the way down can kill them.   Whelping cages also need bedding.  (Pine, Aspen or recycled paper ... no cedar and NO added odor controllers)

The lethal factor, should the male you have now be the sire, is a factor.  BUT ... the lethal factor does not mean dead kits or deformed kits ... it means that 20 to 25% of the eggs will not be fertilized.   Whites are also usually slower to breed ... but there are always exceptions to the rule.

*Do you know how long the two chins were at the pet store together?

The pet store you got the two chins from ... is it a national chain pet store or a 'mom & pop' pet store?   If it is a national chain, as a general rule, the chins would be less likely to be related ... national chain pet stores usually get their chins from a distributor that gets them from several different breeders.  Usually the mom & pop (privately owned) shops will buy from a local breeder, when possible. 

:D  I hope that plastic water bottle has a metal shield in front of it ... chins will often chew a hole in the bottle making quite a puddle on the floor.   :::grins::

If there are little ones on the way ... there's lots to learn ... quickly!

Do you have a way of weighing her by gram weight?  Logging her weight will also help let you know when the time is getting closer for her.

Have you felt any babies moving?   (DO NOT poke, press or palpate to try to find out ... you can endanger/kill the kits.)  You can feel them move by placing her in your lap ... give her a treat that will take some time to eat ... like a dried rose hip or papaya or bite-size mini wheat.  Place one hand, palm up with your fingertips towards her tail ... allow her own body weight to let her tummy rest in your fingers.  The first time you feel a movement (if you check daily) is usually about 2 weeks before the kits are born.   

If she is a first time mom, you will notice the teats become pink and elongated and a little fur surrounding each will fall away.

She will also increase the water intake about 24 to 48 hours before time to deliver.

This a tiny bit of the information you need to learn.

::wave::   Jo Ann

Post questions you might come up with and do a search on pregnancy posts in this forum ... there's lots of good info.
Check out websites of breeders.  If you see conflicting information ... just ask us here ... we all have opinions on most everything.   rofl

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:09:18 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up