Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 3399 times)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Introductions
« on: March 13, 2009, 03:50:41 AM »

Well we decided since MeeKeeMee is feeling 100 percent better that maybe we could do introductions with him and chuppers now . The bed is neutral ground so Me and the Hubby decided to try it . First went Chuppers because she has been there the longest . After a few minutes MeeKeeMoo was put on the bed . They hopped around and bounced around not really too interested in each other . They would sniff a little and nip at each others noses but not hard not violent then go on passed each other.

It was really a lot of just bouncing around a little barking from both but it never got violent . MeeKeeMoo tried to mount Chuppers she didnt like it and barked at him he backed off . Then she after a while tried to mount him and he sorta took it for a few seconds before bouncing off. they have dust bathed in each others dust and for a first up close meeting I think it went pretty good.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »

::silly::  Sounds like they will probably get alone, but, I would be a little cautious about it for now.  The other post said he still had a little bit of swelling ... that could mean he still has a little infection ... I would not want to take any chances of stressing him until all the swelling is gone and he's had a couple of extra weeks to make sure everything is going perfect.   

Just a word of caution:
Squirt had an infection just below the ear that swelled and he had to have it lanced twice by the vet and go through some antibiotics ... this went on for about six weeks.  He got use to being upstairs and having the extra attention.  He stayed upstairs an additional month after that, then, I took him down stairs because I thought he would like it better to be back with the other chins ... instead, it stressed him and we had to go through the whole thing again.  Always be very careful ... once one has been sick ... it will sometimes make them tend to stress easier than before.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »

He and Chuppers had a scuffle . No blood . Alot of flying fur , barking and raising up and I managed to get it broke up . So for now contact is not gonna happen . I had high hopes that they would get along . I am begining to think Chuppers is just a one of those chins that wants to be alone.

After all we have been through with the neutering It is looking like it was for nothing. If chuppers wont accept meekeemoo then we have tortured him for nothing and its discouraging. Should I even try to have play times now?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »

::silly::  That's something you will have to decide.  Once there is actual fighting, I never put the same two back together. 

Caution:  If you do let them have playtime together ... Under no circumstances do you leave them unsupervised.  Keep a towel, baby blanket or pillowcase handy to throw over them should they start snuffling again.  The sudden "being in the dark and covered" usually startles them a little and gives you just enough time to grab one safely.  Do not use a full size blanket or a large bath towel ... they may weigh to much.  It would be best if there are two people present when/if you let them have playtime together.  Just remember it is playtime and should be enjoyed, not a time to fight and get stressed.   

I would prepare a Mini First Aide Kit for Chinchillas and have it where you know where it is and can get your hands on it quickly, should you need it.

I'm going to start a new thread listing what should be in the kit.  I would love to see what other people might have or would think would be needed in the kit (I'm sure I've forgotten a few things.)

::wave::  Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »

If you try again leave at lease a few days to a week before each encounter so as not to stress them out. There are a lot of different ways to try, I would keep trying unless it's a serious fight with blood. They could be fighting for dominance rather than because of hate, but maybe MeeKeeMee isn't feeling as good as you think and is fighting to be left alone?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »

Over time you really do get to know what a good fight is and what's just a dominance dance.
Go with your gut and how much your nerves can take. ::nod::
I can usually tell now just by holding one to anothers cages, and I don't like to push them.Unless it's a breeding pair that I really really want to breed.
I still find it easier with the opposite sexes than same sex pairings.
Every owner and every chin is different.
Debbie.nl.ca

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »

Thank You everyone . I havent tried it again . I am waiting a while before we try it again . When we do play time my hubby is always there . I am going to wait another week then try again .

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »

ok I have finally rearranged things so that Chuppers and MeeKeeMoos cage are right next to each others ...they behave differently in this senario. They are getting along really well. curious about each other . They were chattering at each other earlier and rubbing noses.

I am going to keep them like this for a week before we do another play session. let them get totally used to each other. I will try and get pics tomorrow.

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »

Nice one! Don't give up yet, you've worked so hard and your little ones will get along eventually. There are so many different ways to try so don't give up until you've tried them all. It took me over three months to get mine together and I'd almost given up all hope. Be patient and I'm sure you'll succeed. :)

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

I have been having a ball watching these two. Before they were in the bedroom and I would only get to watch them this much if I was in there for a while and not asleep lol. But now they are right here across from my desk. I can't help but watch them . Chuppers stares at me . Watching everything I do . MeeKeeMoo does things to get Chupers attention . LIke bouncing vigorously around his cage and bouncing up to the side she is on and bouncing.

They nose at each other and even Chupers is seen looking for Him sometimes. I sure hope this works. I was thinking though. Chupers is the real territorial one. If and when I try and put them together I was thinking I would put her in his cage. If that worked I would leave them in there for several weeks before giving Chupers cage a good cleaning and moving them both in there. Its the better cage for chinchillas in my opinion. Its tall and open with shelves . She can bounce high . You cant really in his cage.

Then I can give MeeKeeMoos cage to the rat boys. Its a great rat cage . Not so good chinchilla cage. My hope is restored.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

::silly::  Males are usually more territorial about their females. 

Females are usually more territorial about their space/home/cage.   

Cleaning the cage is a very good idea before putting them together, but you might want to consider putting her into his cage for the test, not him into her cage.  The male will usually welcome the female into his home before the female will welcome an outsider into her home.

But, as I often say ... no two chinchillas are alike ... you have to decide for yourself ... just have a second person and a light weight blanket handy when trying.   :)

Good luck!  Keep us posted on the progress!

::wave::   Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »

And be prepared to be sprayed with urine....
Mine used to do the 'see who can stand up the highest on two legs and bark at each other' dance. They would back into small places and guard it against the other. There was lots of peeing on each other.
It took forever, but it was worth it. We got two lovely babies who were originally going to be re homed but we fell in love with them and still have them. ::nod::

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »

Ok we have put Chuppers in MeeKeeMoo's cage. Things are going quite different this time around. After some first initial chasing and sqawking from MeeKeeMoo Things have calmed down. Chuppers has not tried to attack him and MeeKeeMoo has been the one going into a defensive posture when she gets near him however she has not tried to attack . She just seems to want to be close to him and he is the one thats unsure.

She seems perfectly comfortable in his cage . Even laying on her side sleeping while He is the one all tensed up and back into a corner defending it. A little fur flying no real fighting though. She seems to be trying to take a submisive role and He just doesnt know what to do . When she gets close to him she doesn't raise up and there has been no spraying . There has been some chasing and bouncing . SO far so good .

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »

Well what a difference a day makes. We ended up taking Chuppers out of Meekeemoos cage last night because he just wouldnt relax . She was not attacking him but he was so paniced when she would come near he would raise up and then freak out.

Tonight is a totally different story. Then again it is amore. Chuppers is in heat and He is in love . There has been quite a bit of mmmmmmm sexy stuff going on but His inexperience is showing and its turning out comical. However they are getting along . All sitting next to each other and grooming each other. I hope it lasts . I hope this helps them accept each other.

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »

Well we are going on 4 days now and they are still in the cage together. I caught them snuggled together earlier asleep hehehehehe. Ocassionally Meekeemoo will annoy the heck out of Chupers and she will give him a CACK but that is about it . They play too. It makes me soooooo happy to see them playing together. They will bounce all around and all over each other the groom each other  ::bouncyball:: . I am so happy . Silly monkeys  :D they are.

Now the next big test will be here in a few weeks when I move them both into Chuppers cage because its the better cage for chins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up