Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: poop question  (Read 2749 times)

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
poop question
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

I just got home and noticed that maisys poop is light brown and kind of mushy....what does this usually mean? should i take her to the vet? she's still eating drinking and playing normal.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: poop question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:20:58 AM »

The colour can be anything from browns to tawny greenish topy....... depending on the feed.
If it's changed and gotten soft it usually means to much of something. Stop all treats for a day or two and see if it goes back to normal. Then gradually add back one at a time to see if it gets mushy again.
You can replace the treats with burnt toast so she doesn't feel cheated.
Stress can do it as well. Maybe a strange noise a slight change in routine, or even scents can effect their droppings.
Is there any change in her behavior?
Is she eating normally?
If it continues to get softer a visit to the vet wouldn't hurt, though I would try the above first and keep a close eye.
Sounds like a minor problem at this point.
Debbie.nl.ca

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »

i did just start her on a new supplement (total enhancer), but when i noticed her poop was changing, i took that out and now she is getting straight mazuri and timothy. nothing else. if it doesnt improve within 24 hours i am going to take her to the vet.

~Morgan

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:55:30 AM »

::silly::  Where did you get the "total enhancer"?  Do you have the URL?  I'd like to check out the ingredients.

Any time you start a little one on something new, diarrhea is always a possibility ...

The burnt toast Debbie is referring to is really burnt ... as in blackened when the smoke starts coming up from the toaster ... it is the charcoal that helps stop the diarrhea.

Since it is a bit mushey, try this test ...

Place her on a hard, nonporous surface.  Get a magnifying glass and have it handy.

When she drops a poop ... do not pick it up ...

Look at it ... if there is a clear mucous that looks like egg white covering or partially covering it, take her to the vet.

Please read this article:  "Giardia"  at:   http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/

If it is just soft/mushy, without the covering, it's probably just diarrhea and the burnt toast should work.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »

I got the total enhancer from chinworld.com. Today i've noticed that she isnt really pooping. what could this mean? she's been eating alot of hay and she didnt really want to eat any pellets last night. she wouldnt eat the burnt toast. she's still acting normal, not lethargic or anything and she is drinking. this is my first chin so i get paranoid w/ every little change.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:34:47 AM »

::silly::  Chin World usually has some good stuff.   :) 

Anytime a chinchilla has diarrhea, then goes to not pooping at all, or much dryer and less in number than normal, and quits or cuts way back on it's food and/or water intake, it is a sign your little one needs to see the vet. a.s.a.p.

It is good that your little one is still eating hay and drinking ... should that change, there is trouble on the horizon. 
Watch for dehydration, should the water intake become less than normal.

Did you read the article?   Please take note of how the test for giardia has to be done (time-wise & method).  I do not know what is wrong, only a vet can do that, after running a test or two, but it seems to be following the early symptoms for giardia as stated in my article. 

Of course, these same symptoms could also be for other things.  I don't like to sound like an alarmest, but, when it comes to the possibility of giardia, I almost panic because giardia kills.

Keep us posted!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

mbaker1238

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 04:13:58 PM »

i did read the article and i am watching her very closely, she is still very active, drinking and eating, but if anything should change the vet is on speed dial. thanks for the advice.
Morgan
Pages: [1]   Go Up