Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chin not wanting to leave her cage...?  (Read 1745 times)

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chin not wanting to leave her cage...?
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »

Just recently i got maisy a chinchilla mansion, and a flying saucer. before she was so eager to come out of her cage and play but now she doesnt seem like she wants to. does anybody else have this problem w/ their chins. its almost like she's so comfortable w/ her cage when she is out she runs right back to it. any suggestions?

Morgan

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: chin not wanting to leave her cage...?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »

I have several that would just as soon stay in their cage, some will take a quick run around and go back and some hate to go back.
All are different.
If it's a change in her behaviour than it could be cause for worry unless she does indeed like her new toys so much she doesn't want to leave.

I would try putting her dust bath on the floor and get her used to it being there.
Let her get in it and then put it on the floor to get her started.
If shes like her dust bath she may come out for it.
If there is something wrong she may not bother.
Or you could take the wheel out and attach it out side to see what she does.

You know her best, does she do everything else she used to do? Is she using the wheel still? Is she eating the same & how are her droppings?
If nothing else has changed try not to worry, if she seems just way more laid back it could be signs of a problem.
Check her teeth, put her up to your ear and listen for breathing problems, take a good look at her droppings for changes,make sure she is peeing OK, & take note she is behaving normally.
She could be just a spoiled little chinny ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

mbaker1238

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »

thanks for the reply. she loves her dust bath and always come out for that, but then just runs back in her cage. what if i shut the door to her cage so that she has to run. will she see that as threatening or should i just leave the door open and let her come out on her own? her droppings look normal and she is definately using her litter pan so she is peeing. she's eating and drinking, so i dont know whats going on w/ her. it was as soon as i put the wheel in that she started doing this. maybe she is just spoiled.

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:48:06 AM »

I would leave the door to her cage open.   Let her run in and out on her own.  Her cage is her "safe" place and if you close the door it might scare her...making her think she can't ever get back into her cage.
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch
Pages: [1]   Go Up