Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training to be held by the tail?  (Read 2512 times)

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Training to be held by the tail?
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

Twizzler, my chinchilla, is a baby. Well... over 3 months old. My old chinchilla, that died, he could be held by the tail to be groomed. Twizzler was never trained to do so, and wriggles when I try. Also, I can't get a good hold on him, to sucssesfully look at his teeth, without hurting him. I don't want to lose all of his trust with one dumb move. Any suggestions? How do you train them to do that? Please help!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Training to be held by the tail?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »

::silly::    Take the time to let him trust you before you do allot of examining.  The breeder should have shown you the teeth and other things before you took him home.  If not, let your vet show you the first time.  Once he is use to you and trusts you, time, patients and rewards (a treat) for him, for allowing you to look/attempt to look, without biting you.   :D  When checking his teeth, allow him to stand up on his hind legs, hind feet standing on something solid at all times, with his front paws resting on an object or on you ...  {do NOT try to hold him on his back or tilted backwards ... always keep his head forward of his hind feet} place one hand behind the head and use your thumb and one finger to open the mouth and hold it open just far enough to examine the front teeth and some of the side teeth that are close to the front of his mouth. 
Caution:  Do not hold the mouth to far open ... examination of the side/back teeth should be done by a vet with a light. 
Once you hurt your chin, it will take a l-o-n-g time to gain his confidence again.

Make sure you are holding his tail about 1" from the base ... hold firmly, but gently.  I would start grooming him by holding his tail, but also allow him to keep all four of his feet on a table while grooming part of him ... then ... just lift the hind feet up, leaving the front ones on the table ... once he is comfortable with this ... then try to let him hang while grooming, but occasionally allow his feet to touch the table or your leg, just to reassure him.  He needs to build confidence in you and what you are doing to him.   :)  It may take a while and several attempts over a few weeks for him to get use to this.   Grooming of a kit should begin at 6 weeks ... if not, it just takes time for it to accept something new being done to him and only after he has gained trust in you, in general.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:40:09 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 05:03:10 PM »

Thank you very much. This information was very helpful. I will try this. One more thing. Do any of your chinchillas know their name? Do they come when they're called? I would very much like Twizzler to do this. (Not at all means anytime soon, but in the future) Are chinchillas capable of doing so? I know that they are smart little critters... But I don't want to be too "greedy" with what I want Twiz to do. Thanks a bunch! You are always a big help!

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »

out of 48 chinchillas I onl have 2 or 3 that respond to their name. It is possible but not likely
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »

::silly::  Depends on the chinchilla and how much attention they get from you on a regular/daily basis.   

Chinchillas are very intelligent and when worked with consistently and often (daily).  They can usually learn tricks you teach them, as well as the tricks it teaches itself to get your attention.

One of our members on her allows her chins to have playtime outside their cage for a set amount of time each day ... at the end of that time, they will hear a timer go off and will return to each of their respective cages, knowing there will be a treat waiting there for them. 

On U Tube, there is a chin that will play "Fetch" with a mini flying saucer for his human parent.

I have videos of a couple of my chins doing back flips over their huts, when I ask them to do so and sometimes just to get my attention.

If you call your chin by name each time you enter and leave the room, just to say "Hi" or "Bye" to it and call it by name each time you do something for it or with it, I have found, they usually learn to  respond to the name I have given each of them.  It may take a little while and some patients, but it usually works ... you just have to stick to it.   :D  I have over 100 chinchillas ... many will run to the door of their cage every time they hear my voice or hear me inter the room ... while others, only do so when called by name or when they want my attention or want something from me.

The more time you spend with your little one, the more you will find out they will do for you and/or do just to get your attention. 
Missy will lay on her back on top of her hut and 'play dead' ... if I ignore her, she will hang her head over the side of the cage and squeal. 
Pee-tunia will spray me if my husband gives me a kiss in front of her.  (According to her ... Bill is hers ... not mine.)   :2funny:
Dusty and Chubby do back-flips for me. 
Precious will spray my husband if he does not speak to her every time he walks in the room.
Fuss-budget will demand to be watered and fed first, or he will fuss at me the whole time I am feeding and watering the other chins.
Patients will jump up on the cage door, rattling it as hard as possible to remind me it is past time for play time.
Jo-Jo stands on her hind feet and dances for me. 
It goes on and on ... each doing their own little thing to get attention and/or to please me.

Chinchillas dearly love to be the center of attention  ::silly:: and want to please you. 

They will give back to you, many times over, the pleasure/attention/love you give them.  Just follow one of the golden rules: treat them as you would want to be treated.    :::grins::

::howdythere::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:03:10 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Actually, since I made that post, Twizzler will turn his head towards me, if I all his name. I don't know if he knows his NAME, or just likes my voice. Also, I have a question. I read that you can give chinchillas one little rice crispy. I tried it, an he LOVED it. More than raisins! There is no sugar added, and I wanted to check with someone, before I started to give him those once a day. Are they OK? I don't see anything that could hurt him. But I just wanted to check. Thanks!

twylitestar20002

• Appreciation points: 0
  • My lil man Chico Chalupa!! (almost lol)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »

I do believe chins can and do learn their name. Whether they chose to acknowledge it is a different story. My Chico will take off across the house yet when called will come a  short distance  back if not all the way depending on his mood. and if he isnt sleeping when he is called while in his cage he will come running. But if he is sleepin he may look but not budge just sit there and ignore ya.lol  rofl

He is my lil pain :flames:  ;) lol but ya gotta love 'em.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »

All my chins know their names, and some have even had name changes and learnt them very quickly.
I have between 30&40 here all the time. I name kits and many get changed when they are sold.
Coming with a name call is another story, depends on what I call them for.  ;D
They'll all at least wake, look at me or come to the door when I call them.

For checking teeth in the wilder ones I wrap them in a towel like a baby. Nice and snug with just their heads poking out.
Keeps them feeling safe I find.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up