Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic?  (Read 1897 times)

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Plastic?
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »

Hi! When we got the cage for our new chinchilla, we bought a guinea pig cage. It is made of plastic, but only the bottom part. I check it every two days to make sure that there are no bite marks. He doesn't chew on it, only maybe one or two... but no more. Is this sae? I didn't no about not wanting plastic around them until just a little bit ago. Is it okay? Thanks a bunch!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:56:39 PM »

::silly::   Any bite marks on the plastic is, most likely, a warning that he intends to continue chewing the plastic.   The one thing you have to realize is ... plastic can and will be bitten off in chunks by a chinchilla ... and ... they will, in most cases, eat/consume them.  The hard sharp edges can cause a blockage and/or cuts on his digestive system inside him ... plastic will not digest or melt ... this is not good.  Laserations will leave a chinchilla open to infection and to bleeding ... this is never good. 

You have to do for your chin what you think is OK/acceptable for it, and be prepaired to accept the results and responsibility for what happens.   
For your chin's safety, you might want to seriously consider a cage {a.s.a.p.} that has no plastic in it.

This danger, would not be acceptable to me for one of my chins.   :::(((

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:58:32 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »

Okay. Instead of buying a whole new cage, could I maybe remove the ledge, and get another ledge? (Leapn' Ledge) [sp?] Or a store brand? The only other plastic part in the cage in the main base, (which is well over his head) and he has never chewed it. Is this okay? I don't want anything to happen to Twiz!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »

::silly::  If you replace the shelves with wood (untreated pine only) or wire (1/4" x 1/4" mesh wire), that would be much more acceptable than the plastic shelves. 

To replace the plastic shelves with wood ... go to your local lumber yard or hardware store and have them cut you pieces to fit where the shelves will sit.  You can take the measurements yourself or, even better, take the plastic shelves out and take them to the store with you to assure you are getting the correct size.  Most places will cut the shelves to size for you (for a minimal charge per cut). 

To attach the shelves to the cage, you will need wood screws and fender washers.  (Enough screws for at least 2 screws at both ends of the shelf/shelves and 2 to 4 screws along the side of the shelf that touches the wire on the side of the cage.)   

You will need a drill bit (to pre-drill holes) smaller than the screw and a screw driver to put the screws into the wood.

The fender washers have to be big enough to cover at least 2 or 3 wires on the side of the cage, with the centers of the fender washers smaller than the head of the wood screws you will be using.

It is best to pre-drill small holes into the sides of the wood to keep it from splitting when putting in the screws. 

When ready to attach your new shelves, place the new wood shelf inside the cage where it will be set, then, place a fender washer over the pre-drilled hole on the wood inside the cage, then place a second fender washer on the outside of the cage, line them up and screw in the screw.  (easier done with 2 people)  This should hold the shelf in place.  Each shelf will need at least two screws for each end and depending on the size and 2 to 4 screws for the long side of the shelf in the cage. 

***Remember, you need 2 finder washers for each screw you use to put up each shelf and/or leaping ledge ... make sure you use fender washers that have a center hole smaller than the head of the wood screws or they will be of no use.

Leaping ledges are expensive when bought as a 'leaping ledge', it is much more economical to make your own by using cuts of wood and attach them the same way as the shelves above. 

Corner leaping ledges can be made by cutting a square piece of wood diagonally making two triangle shapes out of it.  These can be placed in the inside corners of the cage ... use 4 screws per corner ledge (two screws for each side of the ledge touching the cage wire).

While you are at the store ... pick up some sand paper to help keep the wood shelves clean and smooth.  The chins will 'decorate' the shelves by gnawing away at them.   ;D

Hope this helps!

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:42:43 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up