Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!! Brand New to Chinchillias in Louisiana!!  (Read 2113 times)

smokeybandit

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
HELP!! Brand New to Chinchillias in Louisiana!!
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:12:06 PM »

Hello! Hello! I am brand new to the world of Chinchillas. And although it is extremely exciting, it is also extremely scary. Monday, my boyfriend and I bought two male chinchillas at the pet store and brought them home. As instructed, we let them be.

They didn't seem too jumpy in the store, but of course in their new environment they are all over the place. It's been four to five days now and they are still pretty jumpy. Every time I open their cage they both run. They come back out, out of curiousity. When I'm changing water or food Smokey (he's the calm gentle one) will sniff and either crawl on my arm. Bandit (he's real jumpy) will come up to me on the other side of the cage.

What can I do?? HELP! I know at first they need time to adjust, but they're just so jumpy. And I don't want to just leave them alone cause I know they're social animals.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: HELP!! Brand New to Chinchillias in Louisiana!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »

Patience is the key here.  I think someone else put up a similar post recently.  I will tell you what I told them.  Pet store chinchillas typically come from large ranches that raise hundreds of chinchillas at a time.  These animals are not handled frequently, and so are not well-socialized as pets.  Chinchillas are naturally social and curious animals, so your new boys will come around eventually.  Just be patient, quiet and gentle with them.  If you try to force them to interact with you before they are ready it will only make the problem worse.  Sit by the cage and talk to them in a soothing voice, place your hand in the cage and let them sniff it, or crawl on it, you can also offer treats sparingly, no more than one per day.  If one of them bites you do not yell or bat at them, that will only scare them.  Just calmly remove your hand, close the cage and come back to them later.  I would not recommend taking them out of the cage for playtime until they are comfortable with you being near them, touching them, and picking them up. 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »

::silly::  Welcome to the Wonderful World of Chinchillas!  You are in for the most fun ride of your life!
Chinchillas: (1) love to be loved
                (2) love to be the center of attention
                (3) thoroughly enjoy a regular routine
                (4) are very curious and love to explore {chin-proofing is a must!}
                (5) can make you laugh when you don't feel like it
                (6) find a special place in your heart nothing else can fill

Chinchillas also: (1) will chew/eat anything they can get their little teeth into {supervised play time is a must}
                      (2) can hide in the smallest of places
                      (3) can easily die from the heat {60 to 70 is the best temperature for them}
                      (4) can not have it's cage near air vents [hot or cold] or over head fans
                      (5) need fresh water, food and hay daily,  ... without fail
                      (6) can dart out an open door faster than you can blink
                      (7) needs you to learn it's normal habits and be constantly aware of them {a change in habits is often your first sign that something could be wrong with it}

You now hold one of the sweetest creatures on earth ... cherish it.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »

WELCOME!!
 :::grins::

I totally agree with everything Jo Ann and Abby said!!    ::nod::   ENJOY!!   ;)
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »

I agree too. It can take 2-3 weeks for chinchillas to truly adjust to new surroundings. Also Keep in mind chinchillas really aren't cuddley pets they are little furry balls of energy that prefer to be running and jumping.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up