Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla at the pet store  (Read 10715 times)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla at the pet store
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »

I found the fliers on the chinchilla club website. Here is the link in case anyone else is looking for it.

19. Pet Store Handout
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/petstore.html
Relevance: 27%

If the link does not work, on the home page, on the right had side is a place you can type in a search. I put in 'fliers for pet stores'. and its number 19.

I'm soo happy I found it. I'm a little nerves going to pet stores though and giving them the hand out. I don't think they mean, but what if they are? I'm guessing I should ask to speak to the manager? I really help they listen to me.

Should I tell them that its not good to keep chinchillas in a bird cage and that they need a wheel? The handout didn't say anything about a wheel.

The hand out also said that you can give your chin 2 to 3 raisins a day. Which I know many people on here don't agree with. Should I say something about that?

Should I print out that other link also that posted the link to last week? or is this hand out enough information to give them?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »

::silly::  Thanks for the URL and for finding it!    The link you posted works great.   :::grins::

I would ask to speak to the manager and/or the owner.  It has an introduction there that is good.  I would also let the owner/manager know on the front end, that the Chinchilla Club is an international club for chinchilla owners and breeders that has been around for over a decade.

A wheel is not necessary, but is appreciated by the chinchilla.  Hopefully the chinchilla will not have to be in the store long enough to really need the exercise wheel.  The only exercise wheels they have in most pet stores are more dangerous to the chinchilla, than they would be a help to it.

An adult chinchilla can have 2 or 3 raisins a day, just not constantly.  Not everyone will agree on everything and what will work for one breeder does not always work for another breeder.   I know a long time rancher (with over 1,000+ chinchillas) that will tell you 'to help your new chin, 2 or 3 raisins the first few days can help it not stress out so much.'   :)

BUT I would not disagree with anything in the hand out information you are giving him/her ... this would be, in essence, saying you do not believe what it is saying and at the same time wanting him/her to believe "this is what is best for your chinchillas" while they are here in the store waiting for a new home.   ::think::  It could be quite confusing and contradictory causing the owner/manager to smile politely, then throw away the flier as soon as you walk away.  Wasting your visit and not helping the chins.

The information on the flier also says ferret cages are perfect for chinchillas ... for a full grown one that is not going to be in breeding, this would be true ... for a young one or a momma with kits, the wires are to big/far apart.

The information in the flyer is basic information for an adult chinchilla ... you gotta start somewhere.   :D

The information on the flyer invites them to visit the Chinchilla Club website, I would let them do a little research on it for themselves.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

Ok, Thanks Jo Ann!  ::silly::

We have a snow storm right now in ohio. When the weather clears up i plan on going to some pet stores.

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »

Hey. Sorry to squeeze in- I hope you don't mind, but I am FERIOUS!  :flames:   :flames:   :flames: RAWR! How could a pet store do something like that? I do honestly think that they aren't TRYING to hurt the guy. After all, if he dies, its THEIR money that they're losing. I have not seen chinchillas in any pet stores, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. I really don't want him to die. I kind of have a little idea... You know how there is a program for shelters learn more about chinchillas from this website? Why can't we make one for pet stores? It would be the same thing... just giving it to pet stores. I'll look into that, even though I don't see how it can help much. But I was always taught that one (or three) person/people can make a difference. Please be honest about what you think. Thanks!

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

Sorry! I just looked, and saw that there was a pet store program. Maybe you could tell them about that... Just thinking up some ideas...

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »

UGH! I'm sorry, AGAIN. I didn't read through the whole thread. I just wanted to let you guys know, that even though this has absolutely nothing to do with me, I really wanted to thank you for standing up for what's right. You could save a life of not just one chinchilla, but more than that. Since they can't say thanks, I'll speak for them. Thank you very much. What might not seem like a big difference, really is. You could have saved more than one life. A LIFE. One that God created. Oops. Sorry, if you're not a christian. I feel like I just gave a lecture. Anyway, thanks.  ;)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »

Your fine, and thanks for saying thanks for teh chins.

I finnaly made it to a few pet stores a week or 2 ago. I'v been really busy latley so I haven't had time to get on here. I took one to petsmart and I talekd to the manager or owner I forget but he took one and he was nice about it. I also took one to jacks aquarium. I talked to the manager there and she wouldn't even look at it. She said i had to mail it to corprate and they would decide. I still have to do that, but she did give me the adress. I don't understand why petsmart took it without a problem, but jacks won't. There the ones that aren't taking care of the chins right. One good thing is that when I went back in there they had the chins out of the bird cage and in a much better cage for them. But they had the same chewed up house in there.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:22 AM »

I've seen this going on at the pet shops here as well, and also the reason I started breeding.
Most of the shops here have different people looking after different animals, so I look for the folks looking after the chins and speak to them.I find these people more willing to listen than a manager.
Managers here seem to just look after the money end and basic look of the shop.
I print out handouts and bring to them but I include a list of good links like the California chins site.
If I go back a few weeks later and nothing has changed than I know none of them give a hoot and they are just working there.Some will run and hide when they see me coming back while others will come right up to me and tell me how helpful I've been.
I do play nice for the first visit,my goal is to help these chins live better but if things haven't changed I do indeed grumble out loud.
 ::tickedoff::
 ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »

Thats a really good idea Debbie. Thanks!  :). I will try that. I was thinking of reporting them to the ASPCA or some place like that. But I wanted to try this first to see if they listen. Thats funny that some of them run and hide.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up