Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chin died unexpectedly...  (Read 31392 times)

Brucey1234

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
My chin died unexpectedly...
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »

Ever since my chinchilla died, I have been trying to figure out why. We only had him for a week. The breeder said it may be because we had a different water bottle, than he's used to. He didn't drink that much, but he still did drink. He was only 4, so he didn't die of old age. He was fine the day before that, but when I woke up one morning, he was laying in a slump. He squeaked when you picked him up, but he didn't sound in pain. When we (my family and I) got home, he was dead. I just want to know, so that I don't do the same thing wrong, with the new chinchilla I'm getting. If you have any questions, or guesses, please post here! Your help will be wonderful!

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: My chin died unexpectedly...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:10:23 PM »

Was he still pooping normally?  The poops should be oval shaped and firm, but not hard, brown in color. 
How was he eating?  Did he have anything plastic in his cage?  What kind of bedding were you using?  Did he have any toys in his cage?  If so, what were they made of?

Sorry to ask so many questions.  A sudden death like that could be a number of things.  Just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »

I did check all of those things. His poos were fine. We bought the bedding from the breeder that owned him. I was watching how much he ate (being a paranoid first-time owner) He didn't eat much from the start. I emailed the breeder, and she said that he was never a big pellet eater. There was plastic in his cage. It was a little ledge, but, I checked it daily, because I was willing to take it out, if he started chewing it. He didn't. As for the toys, there were a few different things. The breeder gave me a wood block (that he had already chewed on) then, I bought a few things at the pet store. (they were all made for chinchillas) There was a pack, that came with 8 cherry tree branches, (about 4 inches long), and 8 puzzle piece things. They weren't made of wood. He chewed them a lot. Then, there was a pack of little wood blocks, that tasted like carrots. (I only gave one of each) Another thing that I thought about was my cat.
The first night we brought Bruce home, he squeaked all night. We didn't know why, until we realized that the cat made him nervous. From then on, we would put him in the closet at night. One night, the cat somehow got in, and she got bit. I don't know if she could have possibly hurt him or not. What do you think?

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
    • View Profile
    • Tennessee Chinchilla Rescue
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »

Cherry wood is toxic to chins.

The cat could have also played a factor in is death  :::(((

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »

Yes, the cat could have played a role.  If the cat was bitten, it's possible she scratched, hissed at, or bit the chinchilla.  Cat claws and saliva are breeding grounds for bacteria, some of which can be deadly to a chinchilla.

In the future I would recommend either keeping the chinchilla in a room where the cat can't get to it, or training the cat to leave the chinchilla alone.  I have three cats and we have trained them not to bother the chinchillas.  My cats know if they mess with the chins they get in trouble, to the point where, on rare occasion, a chinchilla will get loose in the house.  The cats don't do anything but watch the chinchilla run around.  They know chinchillas are not playthings or snack food.

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »

My bad- the sticks are apple.  :blush2: Maybe the cat did play a role, but he showed no signs of pain at all. Any other ideas?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »

::silly::  Chinchillas in the wild had to hide any injury or illness or they would become quick prey for the predators.  Unfortunately, even today, they still carry this trait.  They can hide an illness or injury up to the point they are almost dead by the time you realize there is any thing wrong.  This is why it is very important to make sure you learn what is normal and what is not normal for each chin. {Some chins like to set quietly, while others like to play all the time ... each chinchilla is different, no two are exactly alike.}  A chinchilla that sets quietly under the water bottle or at the cage door or over in one corner, when he normally does not, is often a sign that they are trying to get your attention to let you know something is wrong and that they need help.

What is the normal temperature in the room where the chinchilla lived?

Was the chin's cage near a heat duct?

Did anyone grab, catch or pickup your chin by puttin their hand around the upper half of the chin's body, just under the arms?  Someone mishandling the chin could cause it's death.  Chinchillas have floating ribs (front half of the main body just under the arms) that are smaller than toothpicks.  They can easily be broken and puncture a rib, usually resulting in death within 24 to 48 hours.  An autopsy would be necessary to find out this for sure.

Chinchillas, like rabbits, can be scared to death, especially if it had a bad heart.  To find out this, there would have to have been an examination by a vet or an autopsy after death. 

I don't see how a different water bottle would make the difference.

Anything that is listed as "made for chinchillas" may not always be safe for chinchillas.  Chinchillas are listed in the rodent family, soooo most manufactures automatically assume they can have the same things mice and rats can have ... which is very wrong.   For instance there is a company that puts out a "starter kit" for chinchillas ... a cage that has wires that are to far apart, a plastic base and a clear plastic bubble on the top level of the plastic shelf that the chin can get to from a plastic ramp.  The cage is also held together with plastic clamps.  Chinchillas are not suppose to have access to plastic ...  ::think::  ... so much for the "made for chinchillas" cage. 

A "chinchilla dust bath house" contains a sample of dust bath sand as a freebee ... dust bath sand will cause damage to a chinchilla's fur ... dust bath dust should be used with chinchillas.

Never give a chinchilla a toy that has aluminum in or on it ... aluminum is a soft metal that chinchillas will chew and eat ... aluminum is not easy on the insides of a chinchilla.  One of the most popular things a chin can be given that has just that, is a cuttlebone used for birds.  The Aluminum on it comes in the form of the holder that is used to fasten it to the side of the cage.  If you give your chin a cuttlebone for added calcium, please remove the holder and only give your chin small pieces of it at a time.  If you put a whole cuttlebone in the cage, it will probably be urinated on before it is used up.  Urine causes bacteria growth.  Anything stained with urine should be removed from the cage and discarded or sterilized.

A cat can break the skin of a chinchilla with it's teeth or with a claw and set up an infection/blood poisoning that is next to impossible to cure in time.  Their fur is so thick that you may not notice the injury at first.  A cat is usually a natural predator to a chin ... most cats will consider a chinchilla a gourmet meal ... once it gets past all the fur.   ::scaredspeachless::  While other cats would not intentionally harm the chinchilla.  It all depends on the chin and the cat as to how it works out.

If your cat is an outside/inside cat, dog or any other animal, then it could easily walk over an area that a cat with feline distemper (cat pneumonia) has been on, feline distemper is highly contagious and will usually kill a chinchilla within 24 to 36 hours.  A cat can be a 'carrier' of feline distemper and not even show a sign of illness it at all.

The "squeak" you heard was probably from pain ... chinchillas rarely complain.  If a chin is not alert and playing when you know he is awake, something is very wrong, as a rule, and he needs to see a vet right then ... not tomorrow or later ... now.   More than likely, he was very close to death at the time you found him.  Chinchillas no not normally 'slump'.

What were the puzzle piece things made of?

A chinchilla can also be allergic to something and die of antifalitic shock/severe allergic reaction that will cause swelling in the wind pipe or lungs or will cause a heart attack, resulting in death.  Do you use any perfume or cologne?  Do you use any deodorizer sprays?  Has your carpet been cleaned lately?  Any of these things could be a factor.  [One lady called me in a panic one day.  We quickly figured it out ... her son had cleaned her carpet and there was still a wet spot on it when the chin was let down to play ... it absorbed the poisions in the cleaner through the bottoms of his feet.]

Cherry, mahogany and other hard woods are usually poisonous to a chinchilla.  Stick with seasoned pine that has NOT been chemically treated ... you know it is almost always safe for a chinchilla.

Should you decide to get another chinchilla, I would make sure the cat was not allowed in the same room as the chin or not get another chin until the cat is no longer there.   Apparently the chin was afraid of the cat and very possibly with good reason.  Moving the chin to the closet is not a very good idea, in my opinion ... how would you like to be stuck in a closet all night?  I'm not trying to be hateful, just wanting you to consider treating your pets as you would like to be treated.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Brucey1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »

Wow. Okay, first, I want to say thanks for putting so much effort into writing this big, long post. I will do my best to answer all of your questions. I fully agree with the cat theory, but there are a few twists. First, I heard the cat yell in the middle of the night. I ran into the room to see what the matter was. The cat had run downstairs. (The next day I checked her paw, and it had a little dry blood on it.) I found Bruce looking normal, and checked him thoroughly. I moved his fur to check for cuts, and there were none. I honestly don't think that are cat was trying to hurt him, just see what he was.

The temperature was 70 degrees F.

No, I made sure that he was nowhere near the heating duct.

About the picking up. I read that it is best to slide your hand gently underneath their body, then slowly lift them out. I was the only one allowed to get him out, so nobody did.

He did have a bad heart... or so we think. We never had him examined by a vet, we just buried him. After I thought about it, that is what I thought happened. We might have played with him a little too much. (His personality was laid back anyway.)

I did actually buy that in the pet store, but we showed it to the lady we bought it from, and she said that it was no good, so we took it back. Also, another thing that makes me mad are those stupid plastic balls. They say, "Chinchilla safe!" but they're as about far away from safe as you can get!

I did get dust for Bruce. I read that was not good either.

We didn't have any aluminum.

On the box, it says that the puzzle piece things are made of Loofah.

I do use perfume, but I'm always careful to change my clothes (or take a shower) before holding him. We only use air freshener in the bathroom, which is quite a ways away from where he was.

We did get another chinchilla, and the cat has never bothered it. We do keep the door shut when we're not here. And the shutting in the closet, I was really tired and not thinking straight. It is a big, walk in closet, but I still understand what you're saying. Thanks! ;)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »

::silly::  70 degrees F is good ... try not to let it get 75 or above, you are often in the heat stroke range at 75+ for a chinchilla, especially when they are playing.  It's doesn't take long at all.  A chin left in a car (even in the winter in the daytime) can easily become quickly overheated by the sun's rays being magnified by the glass of a window in a home or car, or inside of an aquarium being used as a cage, or closed transport box.  {I know you did not say that was the case, but I always tend to add a little extra in hopes that someone that might need that information could be 'just reading' the post. }

Yes, that is the proper way to pickup a chin. 
To add a little more 'safety' to that, also hold the chin gently, but firmly, by the tail about one inch from the base of the tail while holding it underneath or keeping it in place on a table or desk.  This will prevent him/her from unexpectedly jumping from your hands.   
Always support the chin's hind feet at all times, otherwise, it will think it is falling or going to fall.
Never hold a chin at arm's length, this does not help them feel safe, it frightens him/her.   Hold it close to you at all times.  (While grooming is an exception to this.)

Should you be holding it properly (supporting the feet) and close to you and it becomes wiggly, wanting to get down, remember:  A chinchilla likes to please.  Most chins know that you do not want them to urinate on you, so, if they "have to go" ... they will often attempt to get down so they will not pee on you.   :D  So put him/her back in their cage and give a quick "thank-you" kiss for not tinkling on you.   :D

Holding a chin to long, allowing it to play to long, especially in a warm room, can often overheat the chin, causing it to have a heat stroke.  Always watch the ears for the appearance of the veins ... when you see the veins showing in the ears, or the ears become pinker, this is the first sign of overheating.  Next comes lack of activity, heavy breathing, shallow breathing, sometimes a seizure or even death ... unless you can get him cooled down fast enough.  A 'chin-chiller stone' is a good thing to have and keep on hand.  You can buy an expensive one in a pet store (it can be made of marble, granite or clay) or buy one from a store that sells tile.  The thicker the better.  These can be kept in a cool dry place in the house or in the refrigerator. 
Clay pots or chim-a-neys in the cage made of clay are also good for a chin.  They protect them from the draft, makes them feel snugly safe and  helps cool the body when needed.

The Jumbo plastic ball can be safe ... IF ... you use them only for 5 to 15 minutes ... clean them thoroughly, before and after each use ... never use it outside, or around steps, or in a room that has floor vents, or have furnature you can roll it under and/or get it stuck in one place ... and ONLY under close constant supervision.  Personally, I prefer not to use them at all.  I had one, many years ago, one of my chins loved it, but when I saw he learned how to 'pop it open' by getting it going fast and then banging it against the furnature to escape, the ball went 'bye-bye'.

I have never given my chin loofah, but do know other owners that have.  As far as I know loofah would be like the willow balls ... safe, unless they are sented or have color added to them.

... the shutting in the closet, I was really tired and not thinking straight. It is a big, walk in closet, but I still understand what you're saying.
I, as most people do, thought of a closet as being small, which would be worse ... a big walk-in closet is not nearly as bad ... but, the air in a small room without vents going or windows and with the door closed has stagnant air, sometimes moth balls tucked away in storage boxes, or cedar hangers or shavings ... and/or maybe some smelly shoes or a dirty clothes hamper.  Any or all of these things could make it unpleasant, and some even dangerous, for a chin with a sensitive nose and tiny lungs.   ::nod::  Not that any of this is in your closet, but, they are things often found in a closet.   :blush2:

Sorry about the 'long post', but I am known for them, and tend to find it best to cover all the basis, if possible.   
I guess I get that from one girl emailing me with a question as to what might be wrong with her chinchilla. 
After many questions ... I found out she had given her chin a rawhide bone made for dogs. 
When I ask her why she gave it to her chinchilla, she told me,  "No one told me I could not give my chin a chew bone made for a dog ... dogs like to chew on them and they are hard, so I gave it to my chinchilla to chew on."  Needless to say ... the chin died.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.     ;)

::wave::  Jo Ann 
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up