Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to introduce a new chin  (Read 3082 times)

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
how to introduce a new chin
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »

ok, so felix is long gone now and the new chinchilla is named Neo.  I don't know how I should introduce the two(Neo and Gus)?!  I have them in the same room now (i waited a while this time, Neo and I seem to get along pretty well).  The first meeting was extremely controlled (my sisters fiance held neo while i held gus and they were allowed to sniff at each other.  when they were roaming around all was find until they both got under the dresser then there was a little tussle, nothing serious).  so i bought a little containment play area thing and got into with the two boys today and they were not having it.  Gus was very aggressive jumping at Neo and it looked like someone (dunno who) lost a little tuff of fur.  Obviously I did not let this go on for long at all. I used the play area to separate the room and had them play seperately.  After play time Gus was pouty again.  he was making whiney noises and laid on his ramp with his face to the wall like he was a sad little boy.  should i be concerned about this?  also if there isnt any blood or biting do i let them get rowdy with eachother and just wait it out?  is there a better way to introduce them?  are they not supposed to tussle around at all?  i have no idea if im going about this all wrong.  what is appropriate? what isnt? can anyone help? 
I have also prepared myself with the notion that they may never get along.  thats ok but i feel like i want to give a good solid effort for them to be pals. 

mylittlechinchilla

• Robbie
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Tennessee Chinchilla Rescue
Re: how to introduce a new chin
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »

True, they may never get along.

Starting with playtime is a good start.  If they get aggressive, I would STOP them from playing, period.

Are there cages side/side?  So they can get to know one another?

It just takes time and patience, most people just don't have either when it comes to adding a second chin.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »

Yes, you need to put their cages side by side so they can get used to being close to each other.  I would also recommend each day switching their cages, so Gus is in Neo's cage and Neo's in Gus' cage.  This will get them used ot having the other one's scent in their living environment.  Then start sharing their bath dust.   Let one bathe, then remove them, and put the other one in the same dust.  This way they will start to smell the same.  After you have done all of that for a week or two, then I would try playtime together.  A little bit of aggression is normal.  They operate in a dominance heirarchy, so they have to figure out who is in charge.  They will probably chase each other, bark at each other and mount one another.  Fur will probably fly as well.  I would only cut things off if you see any kind of blood shed, or if one or the other stands up on their hind legs facing the other one and/or chatters their teeth at the other.  Those are signs of angry agression and not just dominance play, and could lead to a serious fight.

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:27:34 PM »

thanks for all the advice guys.

yeah there is never any serious fighting going on.  i have them in the same room.  I tried doing separate playtimes but they seem to get jealous (Gus in particular) when I let one play while the other has to stay caged up.  I have been using the same dust bath for a while.  I think I will start switching out cages.  I dont mind that its a bit aggressive but i must admit that when i see a tuff of hair on the ground it freaks me out.  I just wasnt sure if that was natural.  i will be patient, for them i will be.  i guess separate playtimes for a week or so and ill be sure to try and alternate cages.

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »

ok, so the boys live in the same room in cages about 5 inches apart.  I tried to let them play together again and gus immediately jumped at neo and they kind of rolled around violently.  neo lost some fur patches.  i broke it up immediately because it looked kind of serious.  i watched to see if they got on their hind legs and chattered their teeth but they didnt have any time to do so. they just kind of rumbled and i broke it up.  im scared to have them play again.  should i let them smell eachother by holding them close to each other individually?  am i separating them too quickly?  my friend said i should let them tussle because it should subside quickly but i just dont want either to inflict harm on the other.  does this mean that they will never get along or should i try again in a week or few weeks.  im going to start switching them into eachother's cages, im hoping that will help but i just dont know how to approach the re-introduction process.  should i separate them out of each others rooms? 

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »

You need to give them a break from each other for a week or so.  They need time to forget that they fought before.  Then you can try the re-introduction.  In my experience, when they immediately engage in a tumbling fight it will usually escalate into something more serious.  You made the right move by separating them.  Usually when introducing new chins they will chase each other, jumping and running after one another, not immediately fight and tumble.  This doesn't mean that they will never get along necessarily.  Sometimes it just takes time.  I have had chins that loved each other immediately, and I have had pairs that took as long as 6-8 months to introduce them safely.  It just depends on the individual animals.  Have patience and just keep doing what you're doing, it will work out eventually.

FUSSoverGUS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »

thank you so much abby. 

So i guess I'll put gus back into my room for a week or so, then maybe ill try switching them into eachothers cages and let them get used to eachothers smells and eventually try to let them play together.

Do you think it is best to just let them play with eachother because at first i would have someone hold one and i would hold the other and bring them close together so they could smell eachother.

thanks again for all the advice

Classic Chinchillas

• View Profile
    • Classic Chinchillas - Orlando, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »

I guess I have a totally different opinion.  For me what works is new (or cleaned) cage plus hay plus new dust plus chins.  I do not and will not do long drawn out intros; if they don't get along from the start, I think it will just cause problems later on.  Now I've had some that I broke up within 10 minutes and then intro'd fine a different day but I've always been able to tell within 10-15 minutes, I've never had a fight from ones that were ok from the start.  Slipping fur is expected as is spraying if female, it's only serious if there is biting and standing up trying to be taller, then you have to be careful otherwise I'd wait it out a bit.  Sometimes they need to work out who's in charge and how they go about it and how long it takes varies depending on the chins.  Good luck!

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »

I wouldn't hold them up to each other.  As a rule, chinchillas don't like to be restrained.  So, that might add some tension to the intro.  I would also make sure when you try playtime together do not put a dust bath in the playpen.  Sometimes they will get territorial over the dust bath and hidey houses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up