Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stressing about due date  (Read 4635 times)

GeorgeAndGracie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Stressing about due date
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »

Gracie's last set of triplets was born 6/6/08.  She is now very pregnant,in fact, we've been able to feel movement for about four weeks (belly resting in palm).  I'm not used to movement for so long before birth, though I realize this is possible with multiples.  I do not know the date of conception.

Can you tell me what I should watch for to know if things are going wrong?  I just feel like she's getting too big - poor girl looks like a chinchilla head on a balloon body.

Thanks!
Veronica
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:30:03 AM by GeorgeAndGracie »

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Stressing about due date
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

They can get pretty big. I have felt kicking that long before and had triplets. I would guess at most another week but now any day. All the signs that delivery is impending require picking her up. At this point I would just let her be. if you feel kicks you know the babies are ok. Watch to be sure she is eating and pooping and wait. I know waiting is very hard but that is the best thing to do withou stressing her out. Maybe you will wake up to babies in the morning
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

GeorgeAndGracie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

No babies yet, so I'm still stressin'.   She sure looks miserable.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »

::silly::  Hi!  I'm posting now, as I said I would, some of what we e-mailed to each other yesterday.  This way all can share.   :::grins::   Your answers are in blue quote boxes.

( 1)  How old is she? 
GRACIE IS 2 YEARS OLD AND SHE IS AN EBONY
  I normally give my ebonies until they are 18 months old before I put them into breeding the first time.

( 2)  What did/does she weigh? (Before she got pregnant and now.) 
BEFORE PREGNANCY APPROX 642 - CURRENT WEIGHT IS 852
That's a pretty good pre-pregnancy weight.

( 3)  Is this her first litter? 
NO - LAST LITTER TRIPLETS BORN 6/6/08, FIRST LITTER SINGLE BORN 8/16/07
  This concerns me.  She had her first litter before she was even a year old.   She had triplets only days over 5 months ago.  Normal pregnancy time is 111 days + 42 days (6 weeks) nursing triplets= 5.1 months.  More than likely she got pregnant with this litter while or immediately after nursing triplets.  That was a big strain on her system.  Now she is developing a new litter.  Please make sure she gets some good supplements a.s.a.p. and during the whole time she is nursing this litter.   Watch for signs of hypoglycemia (not enough calcium).  Seizures are one of the most common symptoms.

( 4)  Have you done the "thumb test" to find out if the birth canal is large enough? 
NO - NOT SURE HOW?  PLEASE EXPLAIN 
The thumb test should be used to see if the female's birth canale is large enough to deliver kits ... this should be done before they are put into breeding.  It's to late now, but that does not need to be done now, she has already delivered at least one litter.   :)

( 5)  Do you have a formula and nursing kit? 
If not, I will give you a list of things you may need. - PLEASE PROVIDE LIST

a. at least 2 glass eye droppers (easier to sterilize)  The ones with the bent end usually works best.   :)  These can usually be obtained from your pharmacy.
b. canned goat milk gives the little ones the next best thing to mom's milk.  Once the can is open, store it in a covered container in the refrigerator or freezer. 
....Small amounts can be heated as needed. 
....Heat to room temperature or slightly above room temperature.  Do NOT use a microwave to heat the milk!  Microwaves kill the nutrients.
c.  2 Coffee cups or mugs.  One filled with hot water, the other one filled with warm water.
d.  Small glass container that will fit inside the coffee cup/mug with the hot water.
....Heat milk by putting a small amount in a small glass container that will fit into a coffee mug filled with hot water.
e.  clean white wash cloths for each kit
f.   a roll of paper towels
g.  Q-Tips
h.  an extra water bottle to add to the cage that will hold at least 2 ounces of goat's milk during the time you are not feeding them.

( 6)  What does the daddy weigh? 
APPROX 762
  Usually the female is the larger of the two.  Placing a smaller female with a larger male can sometime produce kits to large for the female to easily deliver.

( 7)  Do you have an idea of the actual due date for her? 
NO IDEA
  How long was the father with the momma when the second litter was delivered?  Did you remove him at all, or if you did, when did you put him back in with the momma?
( 8)  Is she in a whelping cage?  If not, what is the size of the cage she in in at this time?
NO - SHE IS IN HER USUAL CAGE WHICH IS ABOUT 4 FT HIGH, 3 FEET DEEP AND 3 FEET WIDE - 3 SHELVES - BUT SHE'S LIVED IN THIS CAGE FOR MANY MONTHS AND CARED FOR HER TRIPLETS SUCCESSFULLY IN IT
  You were lucky and apparently she is a very good mom.  Most kits will climb to the top of the cage within the first 48 hours after birth ... they know how to climb up, but not down, so when they reach the top, they just turn loose and fall to the bottom.  If they fall to far OR hit an object on the way down, it can injure or even kill the kit.

( 9)  What (distance vertically and horizontally) is the size of the wire on her cage? 
1/2 INCH HARDWARE MESH
  Very good!

(10)  How many litters have you experienced with your chinchillas? 
7 LITTERS AMONGST 4 MOMS
  Very good ... you are experienced and not a first-time chin mom.

(11)  How many chinchillas do you have? 

(12)  If need be, can you stay with the kits 24/7 for the first 2 or 3 weeks? 
NO, BUT I DO COME HOME FROM WORK AT LUNCH EACH DAY, SO THE LONGEST THEY MAY BE UNATTENDED IS 4 HOURS
  That's the next best thing.   :::grins::

(13)  If need be, do you have a second nursing momma chin? 
POSSIBLY If so, how old are her kits?  ONE KIT BORN TO PEG LEG MOM TODAY (SHE WAS PREGNANT WHEN SHE CAME TO US) - I DON'T KNOW HER NURSING CAPACITY
  Very Good!  IF she will help nurse the new litter, if need be.  Some chin moms make good foster moms, but not all.  There is a special way to try to get this to go smoothly also.

(14)  Have you ever done supplement feeding for chin kits before? 
NO
  Check out : First Signs of Trouble at:  http://www.luvnchins.com/ChinsIISignsTrouble.html    on my second website.  There are videos and instructions there. 

(15)  Have her teats become pink and elongated yet?  This is less obvious on a chin mom that has had previous litters.

(16)  Has the fur just around the teats fallen away yet?  This is less obvious on a chin mom that has had previous litters.

(17)  Have you seen any signs of labor?  -
WE THOUGHT PERHAPS A FEW SECONDS OF CONTRACTIONS LAST NIGHT (EARS DOWN, BACK KIND OF ARCHED), BUT THEN SHE RESUMED NORMAL ACTIVITY AND NOTHING FURTHER
     Watch her carefully, if it starts again, try to stick around ... some chins prefer you be there when they deliver, especially if they trust you and they "feel" there might be a problem.  God gave them the special instinct about these things. That could have been a well placed hard kick by one of the kits rather than labor contractions.

Flattening out in the bottom of the cage? 

Rapid breathing/panting? 

What appears to be stretching exercises? 

Contractions?  Muscles contractions are usually obvious.

Any discharge?  (Particularly red or brownish)

Blood on the bedding?

If you have seen two or more of #17 and then it stopped, get her to a vet now, she may be in trouble.  IF you see blood and no kits within the next 30 minutes ... get her to a vet a.s.a.p.!

Watch for an increase in her intake of water ... that usually means the kits will be born within the next 24 to 48 hours.  Often, but not always, you may see an increase in food intake also.

Sorry about this being so long-winded ... but that's me.   :2funny:

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:28:39 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

GeorgeAndGracie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »

Good news!  Gracie delivered 2 girls & a boy today!  They're each 50 & 51 grams.   :::grins::

We got to see one of the deliveries.  So awesome. . .

THANKS so much to starleomach and Jo Ann (especially for the detailed email - very helpful) for responses. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:00:19 PM by GeorgeAndGracie »

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »

::silly::   Way to go Gracie!

::clapp:: Congratulations!!!  ::clapp::
 ::think:: You have removed dad and put him in another cage, haven't you?   :)  Remember she can go right back into season now that the kits are born. 

After 2 litters of triplets, she needs a good long break to recoop.   ::)

Give them all kisses from us!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up