Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about males and females  (Read 3934 times)

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
question about males and females
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »

So I recently acquired another chin but I worry about the two boys getting along.  I have heard that two boys living together is usually the worst combination, even though there are no guarantees with any combo.  Felix is really new and I haven't grown a bond so strong that I can't bare to return him, though I do feel like he's been through some abuse because of his super shy super cautious demeanor (gus was shy too but he warmed up really quickly).  So what I'm getting to is wanting to get a female for my Gus.  Obviously I need to be prepared for kits before doing so; I have many books to read and research to be done.  My question is: If the male and female get along, is it guaranteed that they will have lots of kits?  I hear about housing a guy with a bunch of girls when you're trying to have babies.

What I'm getting at is that I want my baby boy to be happy.  I want him to have a buddy or two to play with.  I think it would be nice to have a girl.  I don't want to breed chins, but babies would be nice.  I would be fine not having babies too.  I just feel a little confused as of which direction to move in at this point.  Like I said I just want Gus to be happy.  I feel like Felix and Gus just aren't a good mix.  I am still considering keeping Felix but even one on one Felix is weird.  We get along fine and play with eachother, and then next thing you know he is off in the corner just looking at you.  Felix loses hair so easily too.  I never had this problem with Gus.  Thats another reason I feel like maybe felix was abused at the pet store or maybe he has been in another home and been returned already.  If that were the case I would feel too bad returning him, I don't want him to get abandonment issues.  what to do what to do.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: question about males and females
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »

I think you breeding you chinchillas would be a bad idea. A lot of things can go wrong. And if you get a female and put it with the male that is breeding. some chinchillas just aren't meant to be with other chinchillas and some just need a little more time and patience to get together. Babies are a lot of work. Before you get a female you may want to do a lot more research. Bu tyou can put multiple males together I have 5 males in one cage
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:20:08 PM »

I agree.  Males make great cage mates as long as you introduce them slowly.  I find its the girls that can be hard to place together if it isn't done when they are just weaned.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

FUSSoverGUS

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:33:24 PM »

thanks for the replies.

chinclub owner wow :)  i really do feel reassured about keeping felix.  maybe if i give it a second go they will get along. i will be more more patient this time and i think i have a lot more strategies to successfully introducing them.  I'm so glad I was able to find this forum :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »

Just remember to take it slow.  This web page should help:
http://www.huggablepets.com/huggablepets/addingchins.shtml

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »

::silly::  If I were you, I would not plan on breeding any time soon.   It takes allot of knowledge to properly breed chinchillas.   It is a huge responsibility.  It is necessary to know the chinchilla's family history and the family's health history before placing a male and female together. 

Anyone can put two chins of the opposite sex together and be a breeder, but for the sake of the chinchillas, an informed breeder that uses good breeding practices is a must!    ;)

When you place a male and female together, most of the time you get kits, unless one or both are sterile.  One pair may have litter after litter while another pair may have no litters or very few litters.  I have one pair that have produced over 30 kits in the last 10 years, while another pair that has only produced one kit over the same 10-year period.   :)

... I recently acquired another chin but I worry about the two boys getting along
  The article Jamie sent you to is a very good article about introducing chins.  Remember, it takes time, and often several attempts to cage two chins together, in the mean time, they have to be separated if they want to fight.  If either draws blood, separate them and do not put them back together.

I have heard that two boys living together is usually the worst combination, even though there are no guarantees with any combo.
  Only if there are females around.  When a female chin goes into season, many times the males will fight over her, often to the death, even if neither of them can reach her.  Survival of the fittest.  ei: the right to breed.

What I'm getting at is that I want my baby boy to be happy. ... I feel like Felix and Gus just aren't a good mix.  I am still considering keeping Felix but even one on one Felix is weird.  We get along fine and play with eachother, and then next thing you know he is off in the corner just looking at you.  Felix loses hair so easily too.  I never had this problem with Gus.  That's another reason I feel like maybe felix was abused at the pet store or maybe he has been in another home and been returned already.  If that were the case I would feel too bad returning him, I don't want him to get abandonment issues.  what to do what to do.
   Each chinchilla has it's own personality and sometimes personalities will conflict, the same as they will with humans.   Felix might just take more time and understanding before he warms up to you.  Chinchillas do not like change.  If you know for sure he has been with another family and returned, he is in dire need of security, not rejection.

I want him to have a buddy or two to play with.  I think it would be nice to have a girl.  I don't want to breed chins, but babies would be nice.
Babies are very nice, but they have a huge responsibility that goes along with them.  Chinchillas have been known to live 20 + years ... that's a BIG responsibility.

My question is: If the male and female get along, is it guaranteed that they will have lots of kits?
  No, one may be sterile.  And/or they may not be able to get along.

I hear about housing a guy with a bunch of girls when you're trying to have babies.
  There is a way you properly house a male with several females, it's called in a ranch run.  In a ranch run, each female has her own cage and the male can go from one to another one without the females being able to get to each other or to each other's kits.  If you put one male in with several females all in one big cage, the females could kill kits belonging into other females.  They may not get along at all.  Females tend to be very territorial. 

If you have pet store chinchillas, I would not breed them at all ... you have no family history on them and no medical history on them.  Half the time pet store employees can't even tell the males from the females.  It's just another "sale" to them.

::wave::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:24:15 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up