Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post partum bleeding  (Read 4101 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Post partum bleeding
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »

::wave::  Hi everyone!!!  Gosh it has been such a long time since I've been on, hoping some of your remember me. 

Have a question I know some of you will be able to answer.  One of our pregnant rescue mommas we took in last month gave birth to 2 beautiful little girls during the night last night in the wee morning hours while we were asleep!  One was tan 50g & the other std.59g.  Everyone is doing well.  Momma seems fine, she is eating & drinking, moving about etc...just tired. (who would'nt be)
Momma is still having some nice red, bloody, mucousy vaginal discharge.  That area is pretty swollen as well. 
We never saw any placentas so I am assuming she ate them, hopefully they were both expelled and she has no retained products!
Now I myself have given birth twice, so I do know some bloody discharge post partum is very normal, so is swelling!
But in the 2 past chinchilla births we have had here I cannot remember any bloody discharge coming from either momma for this long post birth.   ::shrug::   Is this normal for bleeding to last this long?  Should I take her to the vet or am I rushing things? 

:) Hi Jamie & Jo Ann, Charlie is doing great Jamie, everyone loves him!  All the other chins are doing well also!  I did alot better with this birth than with Mias Jo Ann!!!  Mia & her sons are doing well.  The boys are already 2 1/2 yrs old now!  Hope you all are doing well.  j
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
Re: Post partum bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:59:05 AM »

HI JOYCE!!!!  It is GREAT to see you one here!   :::grins::

I don't know about the bleeding, but I would definitely keep a watch.  Have you felt her tummy to make sure there isn't anything/anyone still in there?  Hopefully, she is just having a normal discharge and hasn't cleaned herself.
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »

I would just keep an eye on it for now unless it is bright red. AS gently as you can palpate her belly to make sure there aren't any lumps. I have had a few females drain a brownish red discharge, I think all do but some keep themselves cleaner that othres. Bright blood is a sign of fresh injury if you see bright blood there is tearing somewhere. If the blood is not bright just keep an eye. As for the draining I, If It happens in people it can happen in animals as well
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

;)  Hi there Janice, hope you are doing well, good to hear from you!  Thank you both for your replies to my post.  Really appreciate it.
Momma chin is doing better today.  The bleeding has completely stopped, yay!  Little swollen but nice & pink, normal.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:50:15 AM »

::silly::  Hi Joyce!!! 

Good to see you on line! 

Some bleeding is normal, but depends on how much.

How old is the female?   What is her weight?

If she is young or a little on the small side, it could have been a little tear delivering them.  They are a good size.

I'm glad all the bleeding has stopped ... hopefully all is OK now. 

I believe I would still let the vet check her out ... Just to be on the safe side.   :)

You know me, always a worrier.  But I like safe better than sorry.   :::grins::

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:52:56 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up