Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some advice please  (Read 1562 times)

gaffnep

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Need some advice please
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »

Hello all

I am a relatively new chinchilla owner. I purchased my first chinchilla about three months ago. Her name is Peggy and she is female. We now have her so tame its absolutely incredible. She is an absolute pleasure to spend time with. We recently purchased another female who is now seven weeks old and she too is a very tame and friendly little thing.
They are both getting on very well together and have done since we introduced them three weeks ago. I bought them both from the same pet shop at different times, but I know taht they came from the same breeder.
I have two questions. The second chinchilla (wendy) has some fur missing from her nose and her leg. The skin is a little dry but she does not seem to be in any discomfort. I started treating her for a fungal infection with atheletes foot powder in her bath. Is tis o.k or should I take her to a vet.
Peggy is showing no signs of loosing any fur. I have only just started this treatment so I have not seen an improvement yet. Should I continue with this powder treatment. Would it be ok to rub fungal cream directly onto her nose?

My second question is on ocassions Peggy will try "mount" wendy and mock mate for a few seconds. I have seen this behaviour in female rabbits in the past and was wondering if this is normal; behaviour in Chinchillas or was in fact sold a male rather than a female in teh first instance.

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
Re: Need some advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »

Hi...

I would continue the dust baths with the fungal powder.  I, personally, wouldn't rub any cream on her face.  She could possibly ingest it by licking her nose.  It could be most likely poisonous to eat.

The mounting just shows who is dominant, but to be on the safe side you need to check their little bottom ends.  If one is a male there will be a space between the rectum and penis (space of smooth skin).  If the "parts"  :blush2: are basically all together then you have a female.

Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch
Pages: [1]   Go Up