Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody nose after play time.  (Read 4236 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Bloody nose after play time.
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »

I let all the chinchillas out to play and as I was putting them back in their cage about half an hour later I suddenly noticed Big Boss acting a little strange. Just sitting there wiping her nose and sort of sneezing every now and then. I tried to pick her up but she ran off and continued to sneeze and wipe her nose. I had to chase her a little into the corner where I picked her up and checked her to find a tiny bit of blood on her nose. Really a minute amount in one nostril and a bit on the front. I checked her over, her teeth, her legs everything and couldn't really see anything wrong apart from that. I put her in her cage with her mum and sister. She is a little bit quiet but is still playing with her toys and climbing around, just stopping every now and then to sneeze or wipe her nose. Now I know chinchillas are good at hiding illness so I'm still worried. I've left them alone, just to give a little normality, I don't want to stress her out. And I will check on her throughout the night. I can only think she must have run into something while she was playing but I can't imaging what. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I'll keep you posted.

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Bloody nose after play time.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »

It sounds like maybe she and the others might have gotten into a small scuffle and she got nipped.  Bites on the ears and nose are pretty common when two chins get into a tiff.  As long as she seems normal otherwise (eating, drinking, and pooping like normal) then I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You might want to watch during the next playtime and make sure no one is fighting or being overly aggressive.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »

I can't think of much that would lead to a bloody nose during playtime. I think if she had been nipped it would show on the outside. Watch her really closely. could she have fallen? Or maybe it is possible like people for chinchillas to get a bloody nose from dry air and irritation. You could get a salin mist and mist her a little to be sure her nose is clear.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »

I kept a close eye on her at now she's absolutely fine. I'll have to watch more carefully next time they're out. Possibly she got a nip off dad... the only thing was the blood was inside the nose. I'm stumped, I'm just gad it doesn't seem to be serious and has cleared up.

Thanks for the help guys. :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up