News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pooka  (Read 4184 times)

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
pooka
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:17:24 AM »

Hi, I put Pooka in the birthing cage last night. She looked bigger, so you all were right. I put the cranberry juice on her cage and plain water along with her food and hay. So I have a question 2 really. Question1, I have a bale of alfalfa for my rabbits,  can I feed Pooka the loose stuff from the bale?  Peaka loves the cranberry juice, I put the bottle on the cage while I was getting Pooka in the cage and I saw Peaka go over to the bottle and just start drinking. He really seemed to like it.  So question 2 is, can Peaka have this to drink sometimes? So I will let you all know when the kit or kits are born.
 Thanks Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: pooka
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »

Yes.
I give my females extra alfalfa when in breeding, not only is it good for them, but I fine it helps keep their droppings from getting to small & hard.Mind you I only get the cubes here.
I am unsure about leaving the cranberry juice for him, it may cut down on his water intake. I'm sure others would know more.
If he likes it that much give him a treat of it in an eye dropper, and watch him beg. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »

Hi, I was able to really hold Pooka last night. She had no baby bump :(. She just sat on my lap and I had my had under her and there was nothing. So I put her back in with Peaka. Happy reunion rofl. I will put the cage away and save the rest for when it does happen. So I thank everyone for their help and advise :). Hopefully Peaka will now have normal poop. It has been kinda squishy. Toast and hay for him ;). Thanks again Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »

Becareful. sometimes if there is only 1 kit or the kits have moved to the birth canal you will not feel them. I keep all my females that have been with males in a baby safe cage if there is even a chance they may be pregnant
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:47:52 AM »

It been 3 days since her due date and no kit. Plus she was not liking the cage she was in :o. She just sat there. She now is acting like her normal self. I'm keeping a close watch on her. It was so cute though when Pooka found Peaka in their hut, they were peeping softly to each other and grooming under each others neck. It was so cute. Have a great weekend, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »

I would still even 10 day later keep an eye on her 111-120 days is average but not exact, and that is only useful if you are sure they had a sucessful mating. Not all matings will produce kits.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »

Hi, I have been keeping an eye on her. It has been almost 2 weeks, and no kits. Peaka is old and he didn't look like he knew what he was doing ???. So I figure he will get it right one of these days :blush2:, and then I will just divide the big cage or get a different birthing cage. Putting Pooka in the small cage nearly drove her mad. She is now acting like her old self. I haven't seen any signs that she was pregnant. So I guess that is a good thing, this gives me time to get a better birthing cage. Thank you, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager
Pages: [1]   Go Up