Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I felt a gumball size bump on my female Pooka  (Read 7081 times)

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
I felt a gumball size bump on my female Pooka
« on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »

HI All,
Due to my Grandpa dying last week and the viewing and funeral ::cry222::: that followed I haven't been able to check on Pooka. Anyway I finally got to pet her and I had put my finger on her tummy and she was checking my finger out and I felt a gumball sized lump on her. She has little more than a month before she is due. I was wondering if that could be a kit and if so could there be more than one in there? She looks "fluffy" and she's eatting like a horse or in my case an alpaca. I really haven't noticed a increase on her eatting, but she sure does like her bits of apple and her shredded wheat a lot. I tryed to find in topics about baby bumps or baby lumps but I didn't find anything. So any help would be great. I have brought in her old cage it's a single story one and will be getting it ready for her just in case. Thank you for your help, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

trista

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
Re: I felt a gumball size bump on my female Pooka
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:31:16 AM »

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa :::(((

My female just had her kits and I think it was about a month before hand  :-\ - I think?? that I felt what you are feeling. I would let her put her tummy on my hand and I could feel the little "gum balls" - even started to feel them kicking and rolling. What you are feeling is more than likely the kit(s) since you're so close. There could be more than one. I had a pretty good idea that there weren't more than 2 kits in my female. It's all kind of a surprise really! Good luck and let everyone know when they/it are/is born!! ;)
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:59:48 AM »

Hey thanks. With my rabbits we would feel lump and bumps but most of the time it wasn't a baby bump. So I thought I would ask. I got her cage already to put her in it. It will a month to go on the 17th. Again thanks Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

trista

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »

You're welcome! I put my girl in her cage about a week and a half before I thought she was due. She actually had them around 106 days. He due date was yesterday, she had them on the 8th though - hehe.

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »

I'm was planning to put her in the cage 2 weeks before she's due. Poor Peaka isn't going to know what to do when that happens :-\. Pooka probably wont be any better. How soon did you stop your dust bath? The cages are in my room so I will hopefully hear the peeps and squeaks from the kit/kits. My brother and his kids are coming for a few weeks, I hope that she wont get stressed out with them be here. Thank goodness the bedrooms are upstairs and my brother and the kids will be staying in a RV parked outside by our house. Well I will be looking for help and asking for help as the time approaches. It was always cool when my rabbit would have baby's, sweet little ewok faces after 10 days of age, ears going forword when we would first rub noses with them. So I'm looking forword to new sweet little faces and handling the baby chins, Thanks Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »

I got caught out and hadn't moved Cheech and the had her kits on the third floor lol. I moved her straight away. I let her have sand baths up until she gave birth and then stopped them for just under three weeks after.

trista

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »

Well I thought I was giving it like 5 days before she was going to have them, but she ended up having them before that, so she had hers probably 2 days before her kits came. I'm waiting until 10 days to give her a bath now. She's going to be in heaven when that happens. My male, Boo, he cried for her after I separated them. She's on the top floor and he's on the bottom. They can still see and sniff each other. He got over it after about 2 days, but man was he sad. He WWWWUUUUUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVSSS her

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »

Hi, Pooka is due on the 17th and I have been watching her, so far all I see in that she is a little bigger with a slight bulge on her but no movement yet. Is this normal? She was letting me touch her tummy before and now don't even try it :flames:. Also she is more jumpy than normal. She goes nuts when I clean the cage. She hardly uses her wheel and she is eatting like a pig. So I don't know if she is just getting fat or that she is pregnant? I think last night Peaka tried to do a fast one on her and she put him in his place ::tickedoff::. So I'm taking that as a sign that she is pregnant. Well anyway thanks and have a good weekend. Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »

Morning, I don't think Pooka is pregnant anymore. Last night she gave me a very big stretch and there was no lumps, she didn't even look big. So I will keep the cage out and continue to watch her but I don't think I have to worry about it. Bummer. Unless the kit was mashed up against her backbone there was nothing. So I thank everyone for their help and advise, I found very thing that I would need to help Pooka, so all that will be put away until next time. Thank you, Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »

I wouldn't be so sure, the babies are very tiny and she might only have one. Chinnies fur is so thick I'm sure you wouldn't see much in a stretch. Eating loads and not exercising sounds exactly like my Cheech, especially the not touching part. She'll surprise you when you least expect it I'll bet. :)

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »

Do the pregnant chins have mushy poop before they are due? I think Pooka is having the mushy poop. I took out the food dish, and she acted like I was trying to starve her. Poor thing, then I gave in and put a little bit of her food back in with her. I wasn't sure if I should leave her food out if she is pregnant, I did give her and Peaka burnt toast and some tums and made sure that they had lots of hay. And funny enough she wont eat the tums but this time she did. So I'm not sure whats going on. Thanks Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »

Mine actually tend to get a little constipated before delivery.  But I agree that she coudl easily be pregnant and it would be hard for you to tell all the time, especially if it's only one. 

Chinnies!  They just love to surprise us!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 07:52:26 AM »

Yes mine too Abby, I figure it's the pressure of the kits being so low.
I always give a few extra raisins from the time I see small droppings until kits are born.
Not sure if it helps a lot but makes Mom feel better during those last few days. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »

Hey thanks for the info. Right now they both look like they are over the mushy poop. I have Pooka still with Peaka right now, I have been hesitant to separate them. Still no signs of movement or weight gain. She wont let me touch her, she has always been like that. I'm treating her like she is pregnant, and I bought the last few things I need for her today. I have a question how big will the kit or kits be when they are born?  Are they mouse size?The only thing I notice that different right now is she is eatting more than before. So I guess I will wait and see what happens. Thanks Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager
Pages: [1]   Go Up