Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: second chin stress (for me)  (Read 2871 times)

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
second chin stress (for me)
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »

Hi everyone.  So, I returned little Diego and bought a female kit (tan, 10 wks old) several weeks ago from a reputable breeder.  I kept them apart for two weeks, and bonded with my new Shanti separately.  She was letting me pick her up and even groomed me a little bit.  So I figured it was time to introduce my two girls.  Lulu immediately fell in love with Shanti, grooming her right away, and the two never even barked at each other.  Shanti is more interested in exploring, but loves Lulu too.  They both cuddle and are together all the time.

I miss the attention Lulu used to pay to me, coming up to me and begging for treats.  Now all of her time is spent loving up the baby, and the two of them barely even notice me.  Am I doing something wrong?  What can I do so they both like me again?  Or is this just how it will be from now on?

I let Lulu run around my chin proof room when I'm home, and have a play pen with the baby that I sit in and bond with her for a while, letting her run all over me.  Lulu gets a little jealous, but seems fine overall.  She usually just chills out under the futon when I'm in the pen with Shanti.  When I come out, she just runs over to the play pen to see Shanti and won't come to me when I call her.  I'm so upset!

Please, any suggestions or advice you have would be so appreciated.  I miss my chin's love and it makes me really sad  :'(

thanks

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: second chin stress (for me)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »

Often when two chinchillas bond they will pay a little less attention to you. Why don't you let them play with you together? Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »

thank you starleomach.  I tried letting them both play with me together, but the baby doesn't come when I call her, like Lulu does.   So, she hides under the futon and doesn't come out, and I have to go and get her and chase her around, which terrifies the little thing.  So I figured a play pen was best for her.  I tried Lulu in the play pen, too, and she immediately hopped up on my shoulder and was outta there!  I'm a little bummed and confused about what to do.   :( ::think::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »

Cheech and Chong were exactly the same. ::nod::
This is the way I see it: it is much more natural for a chinchilla to bond with another chinchilla and I am sure that Cheech is now happier with her little family than she ever could be with me and my boyfriend. So although I get less attention I would rather my babies be happy.

However... when I first had Cheech and Chong together they both seemed to ignore me but after a while they came round a little bit. I'm sure if they were still together they would have come round even more. The baby is just an interesting new thing for Lulu to play and bond with, I'm sure, with time that will accept you both. Just be happy she's bonded with your baby so well. :)

I'm lucky because even if Cheech and Chong aren't that fussed with me any more, their babies fight over who gets to chew on my fingers. Now to get them to like being picked up...

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:04:51 PM »

Thank you Jenova, they actually seem a little nicer today!   :::grins::

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:30:30 PM »

Chinchillas take a lot of time to ajust to changes. I'm sure your girls will be fine after a few months. :::grins::

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »

THanks!  They're already being nicer to me, I got rid of the playpen and blocked off crawl spaces in the room so we all play together.  The baby is even coming and sitting on my lap!  It's cute, Lulu is protective of me, wanting all the oats for herself, but the baby doesn't care and keeps coming up to me anyway!

thanks so much for your advice, the support is very much appreciated!

:) :)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »

:::grins:: I am glad things are going better!
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up