Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly Pregnant  (Read 3185 times)

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Possibly Pregnant
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:47:46 PM »

Heyy All,

I was looking for a female chin not long ago and I found one. I told the breeder that I wanted her, this female is a proven female who is a couple years old. She was in the cage with a male who wasn't proven. They were put in the cage together on July 1st. *which was before I decided to get her* Anyways, the breeder that I'm getting her from says that she might be pregnant. But I'm isn't 100% sure. I've already paid the deposit and done a lot of research in the last month or so.

Could she be pregnant?
If so, when should she be due?

How could I tell for sure if she's pregnant?

Thanks in advance  :) ;)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly Pregnant
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

It is very likely that she's pregnant. You have to go into adopting her believing that she is.

Chinchillas gestate for around 111 days.

The best way to tell if she is pregnant is to weigh her every couple of weeks to see if her weight is increasing. She probably won't just let you pop her on some scales so I put a dust bath on my scales, set then to zero and then let Cheech hop in to have a bath. I quickly read the weight when she stopped rolling for a second. :)

Later in the pregnancy she will probably lie on her side a lot to get comfy. And right towards the end she will drink a lot of water to help with her milk.

I couldn't tell at all with Cheech because she lies down a lot anyway and as she was sharing a cage with her mate I couldn't tell how much she was drinking. Two babies just appeared a month before I thought they were due. Hehe, it was a nice surprise.

If you're not too sure what you're getting yourself into, I wouldn't. However if you can get advice from the breeder on what to expect, or like mine said she would come down and help with the birth if needed. Luckily mine went smoothly with no problems [in fact I was asleep when it happened and didn't even know] and I have two happy, healthy babies, but that's not always the case.

You can expect usually one or two babies but they can have more and if they do sometimes the mum can't look after them all and then you have to think about thinks like hand rearing and what milk to feed them.

Do a lot of research first. And babies are so cute but I think Cheech's are driving her mad, they keep running full pelt right into her and jumping on her while she's asleep. ::silly::

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:05:11 PM »

Just remember take this time and do as much research as possible, Baby safe cages and such. Prepare to hand feed just in case keep stuff on hand. chocolatechinchillas.com sells a baby saving formula as well as lifeline. Both are great to have on hand. and if she is pregnant the day she delivers she may have slightly soft poop as long as it clears up after a few hours it isn't something to worry about
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »

Thanks for replying.

I've been doing a lot of reading ever seen I was told she might be pregnant but she didn't think she was.

I just want to be prepared.

Better safe than sorry...you know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up