Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Venting.  (Read 2950 times)

sashasmommy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Venting.
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »

Well..I dunno if anyone out here can help me,but I just need to get this off my chest. No one really understands exactly what I went through last week, actually just before I joined here, namely because none of my friends have chins or any animals they are close to. Where do I begin really...its a long story and isn't for the faint of heart really.

I had a Husky. G-Dog. He was about 5 years old...was a good dog. Well..I've had chins for months. (I guess you can see where this is going). He was always so good with them. He never bothered them other than a light lick in passing. What happened last Tuesday was the biggest shock of my life.

I should begin by saying he's been acting a bit weird. Growling a bit. Had snapped at me a few times...I just chaulked it up to him being a bit moody (as he has a bad back and the weather here has been a bit...off lately.) Well...about Sunday he started acting really weird. Pushing my cats around and having no tolerance with my daughter at all. He was very withdrawn. Stayed under the bed unless he had to pee or eat.

Well..I left my house for an hour Tuesday. Wasnt even really gone. I was across the street on my neighbors porch, looking at my house. I guess my first clue should have been that my other dog,Sierra, started pacing and howling. I just figured she being outside had heard me and had woken up from a nap and just wanted to go in,so I told her to hold on.

As I walked in my house it was very unusually quiet...Very disturbing considering there were two dogs inside. G-Dog and Bubbles. Bubbles,when I found her was hiding in the bathroom, shaking like a leaf, scared to death. She's always like that, scared of everything. All I can figure is she almost got in the middle of what had happened, and G-Dog gave her just about a heart attack scaring her off. She's a good dog. A Mommy at heart. Protective of everything little...from the baby to the chins...

I walked in my bedroom to change my daughter, just figuring Bubbles was just being skittish because Sierra was making such a fuss...laid my daughter on the bed...glanced over...and realized G-Dog had broken into one of the cages and literally tore my other female apart..(Her name was Sasha1...my kids are so creative...my stepson couldnt think of two names...so it was Sasha 1 and Sasha 2....or lovingly referred to as Sasha and Dueces (being the chin I still have)) He had the evidence all over him....as did the fact the cage had been pushed out from the wall, the back literally forced in and bent. And as it had appeared she had fought for her life.

It was almost impossible for me to get to G-Dog. Besides me freaking out and him appearing to be ready to attack me as well...needless to say...he went to the SPCA.  I don't know what happened to him after that. I requested he not be put to sleep and be put into a home with no children and no other animals if he would even be fit to be rehomed.

I guess I should say I always had suspected he wasn't full husky either. His previous owner refused to tell me where they got him or if he was bred with anything else.  He actually had appeared to be a hybrid based on his size and appearance. But that couldn't be proven..he could have just been overgrown. And either way Husky's are as close to wolf as you can get without the real thing...

I feel almost a double loss here. Despite what he did...he was my baby. Beautiful and so smart. But I can't help but to hate him for the innocent life he took away. He just sorta...went crazy...and I cant really hate him for that. And my chin..will so dearly forever be missed...a week later..it still hurts so bad. An empty cage and an empty food dish. All because I left the house for an hour and ignored signs something could have been amiss.

I'm sorry...I'm really just putting this all down on paper..well...screen...hoping it helps me a bit to get over this all. I've tried to be a cheery as possible..but this is something I've got to work through I guess.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right category to put this in...I just figured this was the closest I could find. Sorry.
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
Re: Venting.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »

Oh, Jess....How terrible for you!  The emotions are overwhelming!! :'( >:( ::shrug:: Sadness, Anger and Questioning what really happened!  I truly feel for you!   :hugs:
Please know that we are here and will listen any time you want to vent!! 
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

sashasmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »

Thankyou
5 Chinnies- Sasha, Star, Stevie, Stuart, Baby
1 Dog- Sierra
1 Hampster- Lightning
2 Kids- Lauryn, Ashton

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

I am so sorry to hear about all that happened. Feel free to vent all you want.

I work in an animal hospital and we actually had to put a dog to sleep today because he bit his owners kids and had a history of biting. Its very sad... I can imagine.

I know huskys actually have a rep of aggressive behavior. We have to muzzle most of them to work with them.. to protect us.

Sometimes dogs can just turn.. even on their owners. Sorry you had to make a decision like that but if a dog becomes untrustworthy its just to much of a chance.. be it children or your chins or yourself.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You did the right thing and something even worse was prevented from happening.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Jessica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

That's so sad.  I can't imagine how you must be feeling.  I'm so sorry for all you've been through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up