Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weighing a pregnant chin.  (Read 5591 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Weighing a pregnant chin.
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »

As I believe Cheech may be pregnant, I've started weighing her. I've used the sand bath on the scales trick so it's not too accurate as I only get a couple of seconds to check her weight before she starts rolling in the sand again. Her first weigh in was 700g, what sort of increase would I be looking for after a week? She should be due around the 16th of July and I believe she's been pregnant for around 3 months now.

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Re: Weighing a pregnant chin.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »

You think she's been pregnant for 3 months?? I am confused you have a july due date? Anyways- unless you KNOW they mated you won't know how far along she is. All chins are different.. some gain A LOT and some gain a little. Weigh her less often.. every 3 or 4 weeks or so.. if you really want to keep up with it. A pregnant chin will gain weight more rapid in her last month. By then you could gently hold your hand under her belly and feel for movement. (some say once you feel movement it could be a few weeks) A few of my chins were 'due' April 9th and April 22 and STILL no babies. I now feel movement (have for almost 3 weeks) and can see movement.. but I quit weighing them because 1- they got more irritable and 2-they don't need the added stress. I now know they are coming soon.. I quit trying to put a due date on them. I just keep up w/when the hole is opened and they had access to the male.. and know when to start to expect them.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »

I know when they mated because it was the day they finally decided to like each other. :::grins::
Thanks for the advice. Also She's stopped letting me touch her tummy, so I'm taking thatas a sign along with the others. :)

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »

I have one of my pregnant girls who loves me to feel her belly.. and one who bites me every time I try to. I just leave that one alone :)
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

chinchilla.nikki

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla  Estates
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »

::gossip:: Hi--I know this is another late reply, but I just have to respond anyways........I have always heard that when a chin is trying to bite or is wiggling too much, etc. that you should blow in their face.  They soon learn that unwanted actions are going to get them something they don't like, which is blowing in their face.  I have tried it with the wiggling & it worked for me.  I have never had one try or suceed in biting me.   My day may come  probably, but I hope not.
Does anyone else think this works?       JANE
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:15:02 PM by chinchilla.nikki »
Chinchilla Estates******Jane, Ricke & Petra
   Caring family of chinchillas

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:51:14 AM »

Some chins just have attitudes. If you want to blow in their face you can, and it may work. The girl I have who does bite (not hard at all.. just is quick to nip and then sniffs me after) blowing doesn't make a bit of difference. She only is like this when shes pregnant.. so I just simply say "Ouch, Sugar, biting is bad." or something, and dependng on her mood I either scratch her or leave her be. Now with wiggling blowing may work.. but all animals are different, once again. All my animals are very well tempered.. only one likes to act kind of bad- and shes pregnant (so she has the right to  :::grins:: ) and if someone does not want to be held I don't force them to be. Wiggling while grooming can be fixed in other ways. (setting them on your lap or having someone hold their ear, ect.)
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »

My males tell me when the female are close to giving birth.
Even the males that have never had a female will get all excited. Some dribble, some clean themselves, some just go stark raven mad. :D
Debbie.nl.ca

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

My males tell me when the female are close to giving birth.
Even the males that have never had a female will get all excited. Some dribble, some clean themselves, some just go stark raven mad. :D

I hear that!! All so some girls drink more water. I have a few that move all their bedding to front of the cage.  ::nod::

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:40:54 AM »

As far as the biting goes, both of mine will never hurt me, they just put their teeth around my finger as a warning, and it's enough to know I'm doing something they don't like. Chong, even after a year still does not like me touching me and will 'bite' me every time I try to tickle him. Cheech loves all attention so I know something is different if I can't tickle her tummy. :)

Blowing has no affect at all, in fact, because they don't like it they just bite me again to tell me how much they didn't like me blowing. I just used the tactic of yelping as if I was in pain when they bit too hard and they learned very quickly. I don't mind then doing if it doesn't hurt because as they can't speak I just think of it as a way they communicate with me.

Cheech has one BIG attitude. I can't wait to find out what their baby(ies) is like. :)

I just let them out and managed to get a video of Chong climbing up behind the cage and kissing Cheech through the bars so I'll post that up when I get time. I can't believe how loving they are when they used to hate each other. They even take treats out of each other's mouths! I couldn't wrestle a treat of either one of them and I'm about fourty times their size. :::grins::

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »

As far as the biting goes, both of mine will never hurt me, they just put their teeth around my finger as a warning, and it's enough to know I'm doing something they don't like. Chong, even after a year still does not like me touching me and will 'bite' me every time I try to tickle him. Cheech loves all attention so I know something is different if I can't tickle her tummy. :)

Blowing has no affect at all,

I agree with Jenova about "listening" to whether your chin wants you to do something or not.  Personally I rarely weigh pregnant girls.  If a pregnant female indicates to me she doesn't like something then I don't do it unless it is needed for her health.  I find that this type of communication results in moms allowing me to help them if it is needed and that they willingly allow me access to their kits.   
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »

I managed to weigh her again, sand bath on the scales and letting her hop in on her own. And she's put on 60g. That's in 17 days. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up