Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe a mommy - need some newbie advice  (Read 2073 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Maybe a mommy - need some newbie advice
« on: April 20, 2008, 06:34:11 PM »

Well, I'm still not sure if Cheech is pregnant, she should be one and a half months if she is but she's not showing any of the signs. But there is a male and a female in the cage, so I assume I'll get kits at some point. ::)

I have my breeder on hand who said she would be more than happy to help me with the birth (whenever it may be) and any problems I may have but I had a few questions as well.

Should I leave Chong, the daddy, in the cage for the birth? What do you generally do? Obviously he will be coming out afterwards, but for the actual birth its self would he be able to help her.
I will be either covering the wire floor of the cage or removing it to stop baby feets getting stuck, but should I remove the tubes as well?
Any my last question for now: I will want to be off work for the birth its self to make sure my baby and her babies are all well. Is there any way to tell when she is really, really close? I would hate anything to happen while we are both at work.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
Re: Maybe a mommy - need some newbie advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »

The males don't help during the delivery, the stay on a shelf and wait for an opportunity to mate with her again once she has delivered. they may snuggle with the kits a few hours later but mostly they just sit and watch. the other female may be more helpful, they will often keep the kits she delivered warm while she delivers the next but this is not always the case. sometimes they just sit and watch too. Be careful new moms can be very territorial with their new kits and sometimes will attack another chinchilla. watch closley.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe a mommy - need some newbie advice
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »

Cheers for the advice. I'll probably be getting a birthing cage anyway. Just want to make sure she actually is pregnant first. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up