Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme Mystery  (Read 4188 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Extreme Mystery
« on: February 13, 2008, 04:26:41 AM »

Ok here is one situation I have yet to have to deal with until now.  I decided a while ago to retire one of my standard females named Macy because she has been good to me and blessed me with several litters and I wanted her to have a break from breeding, so I put her in a cage with one of my young female beiges named "Peanut Butter" that she had fostered and her and the beige are very happy together.  Well I noticed Macy putting on the pounds and suprisingly enough she got pregnant some how and I felt the babies rolling around in her belly..lol and she still hasn't had her litter so she couldn't have gotten pregnant right before I took her away from her male. I am stumped everyone.  I talked to one of my friends who has been a breeder to many many years and she said that she had this happen before and that somehow one of her males had gotten to one of her females through seperate cages somehow.  So I went into the chin room and thought about who was that close to her and honestly there is no one remotely even close their cage the closest would be about 2 feet away.  So I am extremely confused.  I even double checked to make sure that beige was a female and she deffinitly is.  And whats worse is I have no idea who the father is it could be anyone!  Has anyone ever had this experience before, I have heard of this happening from having cages to close together but their cage is decently far from anyone....I guess we will see who the daddy is when the babies come...lol... ::shrug::

rodafer

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Mystery
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »

WOW! I dont know anything about breeding, so I cant help you. I just wanted to say that is totally crazy and I can't wait to see some of the responses!  rofl

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »

Actually, I currently have the same situation. I thought it was weird and that I must have made a mistake somewhere. My rescue, Addie (who is DEFINITELY not in my breeding program) was caged with another one of my females. They were fine, until about 2 months ago, Addie became aggressive towards the other chins. I didn't know why, I just assumed that maybe she had an argument with her cagemate and was turned off to other chins. I put her in a cage by herself. Then a few weeks ago, I went to get her out of her cage, and she bit me. When I finally picked her up, I noticed how tight her belly was. I am at a loss. I am very careful with my chins. I spend hours every night making sure everyone gets exercise. I have never heard of anything like this before. She hasn't been exposed to any males other than play time, in which the males are in her cage. She can go up to their cages, but there is no way for any of them to mount her. Her cage is set on top of another cage, which does not allow anyone to have access to her. Is there a way for them to mate through cage bars. I was thinking maybe a male got to her, but there is NO WAY for them to get out of their cages. Plus, she doesn't get along with other chins, so I don't see how any of them could have mated with her even if they did have access. From my experience, I know that when they want something, they will find a way to get it, but this just seems physically impossible. Maybe I should change her name to Mary. She is my little virgin who was impregnated by immaculate (sp?) conception.  :doh:
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »

I have witnessed a couple wanting to mate in cages side by side.  I have a standard male and a white mosaic female that love each other.  They have had two litters together.  They are in breed run cages, but now they are separated (giving her a break).  There is a solid wall between the cages.  The other day I heard him doing the little soft noises of mating calls and the swish, swish tail dance in his cage.  He was trying his best to scratch at the door to get out to her.  She was in the next cage right beside the door laying on her side with her butt right up against the wall and door.  I don't know if anything happened, but I know she was wanting it to!   :blush2:  I believe if he tried he would have been successful!   :blush2:  I will have to watch her and see if she starts gaining weight in the months to come. 

Where there is a will, there is a way!   :::grins::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »

I truly was not aware that it could be a possibility. I have never seen any warnings regarding this situation. I feel extremely neglectful. I guess we will find out who the magic man was once the kit(s) is born. She seemed to be gaining weight, but I didn't think anything of it. When I got her, she was underweight, so I was supplementing her diet to try to help her gain some weight. Other than her slight attitude change, I didn't notice anything. I just took the attitude change as, she had been here a while and gotten comfy and territorial. I guess the chin penis is quite long, I just assumed that he had to get a good grip on her (from what I have seen).
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »

There is no reason you should feel bad!  These things happen sometimes.  My first litter was a total accident when
my "male" chinchilla had babies!  The breeder, the vet and everyone else thought it was a male.  So we got a male cagemate.  It was interesting trying to figure out which one of my "boys" was the mommy!  :blush2:

I am sure things will be just fine with your girl.   ::nod::

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

I am just going to have to watch her very carefully. Two of my males are quite large compared to her. She is a bit on the small side. My main concern is the kits being too large for her little body. I am sure everything will be alright. In the past two weeks her weight has skyrocketed. I will just feel so horrible if I rescued her from a bad situation and then got her into another one. One thing I have learned about her is she is a tough cookie. I baby her because she was our first rescue. I am overly protective of her!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »

I have heard of and seen side by side cage mating but my cages are not side by side for this reason, and macy is not on top or under and cages thats what is such a mystery to me, I cant wait to see what male caused this tho so that I know to keep a better eye on him...lol

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »

Well, I know my pink/white male is my little gymnist. He does this weird kind of (I am going to describe this in the best possible way, but it still may not make any sense) hang upside down from his bowl while rolling like a dog but going under the bowl he is hanging from. Kind of a very slow motion back flip. He's the one with the moves, so I am guessing it is him. I am definitely going to rearrange my room, now that I am aware of this. I can put females on top and males on the bottom I guess.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 02:35:25 AM »

lol yea my standards do that bizarre back flip over their food bowls..haha...its always so funny to watch especially when they keep doing it again and again.  My one does it constantly because he knows ill give him a raisin when he does.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »

I had some customers come by yesterday and he was rolling around his cage floor like a dog. I think it is the funniest behavior I have seen.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »

Lol, Cheech rolls around like a dog. I love it!

Anyway that is a weird one. The only thing I can think of is; can chinchillas hold an embryo? Some animals when breeding can do this. When they get pregnant the body holds back a fertilised egg (somewhere, I don't know where). The reason is supposedly as a safeguard in case something happens to the current litter. They they can just get pregnant again. I have no idea if this can happen with chinchillas but it's all I can think of...

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »

I am pretty certain that can't happen with chins.  There is a condition called superfoetation that MAY explain it...
Chinchillas have two uterine horns, which each hold viable eggs.  Sometimes one horn's efggs can become fertilized and begin developing into kits, while the other horn's eggs remain unfertilized.  Then, at a later date, the female can mate again and the other horn's eggs become fertilized as well.  This results in two kits at in the same womb, but at two different stages of development.  My understanding, however, is that when the female delivers the more developed kit, she would also deliver the lesser one, resulting in either drastically different sizes, because one kit is essentially premature, or more likley the lesser developed one is stillborn.  I don't think she can deliver one and retain the other for continued development.

In all likelihood, the tricky girl just managed to seduce one of your males when you had your head turned.  If you have never seen a chin mating, they don't take long at all, a few seconds.  And as someone said in an earlier post, where there's a will, there's a way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up