Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving and new puppy....lots of changes.  (Read 5483 times)

rodafer

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Moving and new puppy....lots of changes.
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »

Hi there. We just moved into our new house yesterday. I was really careful about moving Herman, and put her directly into a quiet place and closed the door while we moved. She seems to be okay, a little nervous, but still comes to me and all. My biggest concern is her poop. All of a sudden it is really round, and soft. Her diet has been the same, I was just wondering if a move could have caused this.
Also, we got our new puppy yesterday. I have not indroduced them to each other, but Herman is no dummy, she has to know he his here. I am sure Herman can hear him whimpering. I dont want to stress her out at all, so any suggestions on how and when to introduce them to each other.
Again, her poop has me a little nervous.  :-\

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: Moving and new puppy....lots of changes.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:47:18 AM »

With all of the changes going on around her, just give her a few days to adjust. I wouldn't suggest letting her out of the cage for playtime for a few days. Treat it as you would if you had just brought her home. Give her a few days to adjust to her new surroundings. I wouldn't suggest an introduction to the puppy right now. Make sure you talk to her softly and show her everything is okay. Since the puppy is new too, i would suggest waiting until the puppy has gotten used to you as well. The puppy might be too energetic and loud to be around the chin. Patience is a must with chins. Everything will be fine once things settle down. I am getting a bunny today. I am going to have to get all the chins adjusting to that!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »

I don't know for sure, but the first day I had my girls they had really soft poop.  They even stepped in it and it got everywhere.  After a day it all cleared up.  I figured it was just the stress.  I would give her a couple days to get settled adn keep her in a quiet place.  Don't introduce her to the puppy until you have it under control.  It might follow first instinct to hunt.  Puppies are unprodictable, and until you know it well enough to predict its behaviour, I would wait. 

Once you do introduce them, make sure its when Hermen is in her cage so she's safe.

Good luck!  Moving is hard enough without a puppy and chinchilla to worry about!

rodafer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »

I am still really nervous. It has been about 24 hours with the soft poop. I have noticed it is kind of slimey on the outside???? Weird?
She seems okay and is still active and lets me scratch her and pet her. She runs on her saucer and seems normal? But I am freaking out a little. Any more suggestions?????

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:46:48 PM »

You may want to take her to a vet to be tested for Giardia.  It sounds like she may have a mild case of it.  Giardia is a parasite found in most water supplies.  In most drinking water the parasite exists in levels small enough to make it basically harmless.  However, stress weakens the immune system and can allow the reproduction of giardia organisms to a level where the animal becomes symptomatic.  In a full-blown case of Giardia the animal will have bad diahrrea and often becomes dehydrated very quickly.  But it can present itself in milder ways, leading to softer but not runny stools.  It is easily treatable, but also highly contagious to other animals, through contact with the feces.  So, I would have her tested, and if she has it, treated right away.  You will also want to sterilize everything she has come into contact with to prevent the spread of the parasite to others or back to her.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:30:27 AM »

If she has a mucous coating the poo, I would take her to get checked. If she does have Giardia, you want to have it caught as early as possible. I would isolate her until you get it checked out so no other chin will get sick. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Also, keep plain shredded wheat (I use the miniature ones). The chins love it, and it usually clears the soft poo up. This is not a solution if the chin is sick, though. I would still take her to the vet. But it is a good thing to keep on hand for the occasional soft stool.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

rodafer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »

So should I have my puppy tested too??? He has diarrhea, but I am mot sure if it is is just new puppy food diarrhea or what????

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

I think the puppy should be ok, as long as he has not been eating the chin's feces.  But if his diahrrea continues I would have him checked out as well.

rodafer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »

I am taking her to the vet today. I just dont want to chance anything. Hopefully she will be alright. I am a little freaked out and it is really starting to get to me. She is my FAVORITE!

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

Actually, the dog may have it and gave it to the chin. I was reading about it at the vet, and it is more common in cats and dogs. I would keep the dog away from the chinchilla and have them both checked immediately. That is something that can spread quickly and take both of those precious babies away from you. If you only take the chin, I would keep the chin quarantined from the dog until both of them have been checked.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

rodafer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »

I dropped her off and asked my vet if she wanted my puppy in there too and she said not yet. They are runnig the tests today, and have not called me yet! Dont they know I want aswers now! I called and she is doing fine and is in her own area and has been sleeping, which is really weird cause she will never sleep if stuff is goingon. So at least I know she is comfortable.

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »

Good for you chin parent!  It's best to be on top of everything, just like you are! ::clapp::
God knows, I micro-manage Lulu's life, but it's in her best interest.  Thank God I don't have real children, or they'd be so annoyed!  Lol. rofl

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »

I don't freak out as bad with my kids as I do with my chins. I guess I know I can fix the kids problems, but I never know what is REALLY going on with the chins!  rofl
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

rodafer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »

So, I just picked Herman up and she is 100% okay! Yay! I am so so so happy. They did all the tests for parasites and she is totally healthy! They also thouroughly checked her teeth and all that jazz. I am so relieved you have no idea! They let me go back and get her, and she was just normal and happy as ever to see me jumping back and fourth as always! her poo is still a little soft, but getting better. Thanks for all the responses, it helps so much to be a part of this board!

And chillin, I know what you mean. I hate not knowing what is up with her. I have most of her noises figured out, but at the beginning it was hard and I just wanted to know how she was doing and what she was feeling and if she was happy enough! Jeesh, I am obsessive.  ;D

rodafer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 12:30:50 AM »

So despite the clean bill of health from the vet, Herman's poo is still the same! Any thoughts? Again, she is acting totally normal. I have not let her out as much because I am still letting her get used to everything since its only been a week, but what gives?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up