Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone else have this problem?  (Read 1635 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Does anyone else have this problem?
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:02:32 PM »

Im a little frustrated and I am wondering if anyone else has this problem with their chins.  My chins love having wheels in their cages and over the past few months I have been buying more and more wheels so that I dont have to keep rotating, but here is the problem, My chins run so fast on their wheels it seems to violently shake their cages and then their water bottles start leaking because of all the motion.  I fill their water bottles in the evening and after a crazy night of wheel running a lot of the water has soaked the bedding then I have to take out the wet bedding and replace it, therefore I am going through bedding like crazy lately.  I want my chins to have fun on their wheels but the water bottle issue is driving me nuts.  When I take the water bottles off for a little running time then they get mad because they want a drink in between runs.  Any suggestions or am I stuck with this issue? :-[

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

My water bottle leaks sometimes.  I don't think it's because of the wheels, but I have a solution to the problem.  I work part-time at an Optometric clinic, and they have trays there that we store clients glasses in.  The trays are sturdy, and I put them under to waterbottle to catch water if it spills out.  I don't worry about them eating the plastic, as they took two bites the first night and haven't eaten it since.  I bet if you asked at a place like that they would give or sell you a tray, or you could find something somewhere.

I don't have a flying saucer wheel yet, but I think they might be sturdier than just the wheels.  I don't like how they shake the cage either, and I don't think the chins do either.

Good luck.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Does anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:34:01 PM »

Is your cage wire?  If so, I can help.  My husband and I had the same problem.  So we bought a steel bar the same length as the floor where the wheel was, and attached it to the wire mesh floor.  Then we anchored the bottom support bar from the wheel onto the steel bar.  It worked like a charm.  The wheel was MUCH quieter because it didn't bounce around nearly so much.  I married a genius   ::Lovehearts::
Pages: [1]   Go Up