Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long together?  (Read 3127 times)

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
How long together?
« on: February 09, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »

How long should a male and females be together before changing partners (if no pregnancy occurs)?

I have a male that has been in a run connecting with two female cages since October 2007.  The females don't seem to be pregnant yet.  The male gets signs of hair rings weekly like he is trying to mate, but unsuccessful.  This will be the first mating for him so he is not proven.  One female is proven and the other female isn't.  I just didn't know if inexperience might come into play?!  Or do you all think he might be sterile?
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: How long together?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »

I know you are much more experienced that I am, but I have read that younger males are generally a little more inexperienced, so that could be a problem. I have one of my younger males that would always try to mate with the females, whether in heat or not. None of the females wanted anything to do with him, I am assuming because of that. I would think that if something like that is going on, the females might just be turned off by him. I would maybe try to put a different male in the run, and just try to pair him with one female that seems to take to his company. Once I put him with a younger female who was just as inexperienced, everything worked out. But you did say one of the females wasn't proven either. I read a few places that if they haven't mated in a year, then switch them, but I think that is a bit extensive because I have yet to see a problem lasting that long. Good luck!!!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
Re: How long together?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:23:49 AM »

I would give him another 3 or 4 months.  It's difficult to determine whether or not chins are pregnant during the first couple of months of pregnancy.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up