Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my dark bedroom  (Read 2448 times)

mprieboy

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
my dark bedroom
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:43:41 PM »

My chin's cage is in my room where there are no windows.  I am frequently gone most of the day and early evening.  My roommates would rather me not leave the lights on while everyone is gone for energy saving and potential fire hazard purposes so he is in a dark room until I get home in the evening.  Even though they are nocturnal and sleep most of the day I wonder if he would prefer not being in the dark for so long.  Since they are nocturnal, though, can they see very well in the dark making them indifferent to having little light?

Nefarous

• Saris
    • View Profile
Re: my dark bedroom
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:12:26 PM »

I would think that no access to natural light is a concern in its self. ::think::

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »

I haven't had my girls very long, but I think they're ok in the dark.  Everything I've read says to make sure there isn't a lot of light in their room during the day, as they don't like it.  Being nocturnal they probably don't need sunlight the way we do, but they may need moonlight, so try to make sure your chin get some of that some how.

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:28:42 AM »

It is good to keep the room Dim during the day because that is when chins sleep, but sunlight is good for them, if you cant move them to a room that has access to sunlight then I would atleast consider getting a night light for the room so that your chin is exposed to light one way or another.  A big reason is that if for some reason you would have to take the chin out of the house to a vet or what not it will be used to light and not a panic attack.  Chins do enjoy the dark but they enjoy some sunlight there are theories that sunlight helps chins medically any animal for that much as well as humans.  I wouldnt leave them in pitch black tho atleast get a nite light for them. ;)

mprieboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:31:35 PM »

There actually are two windows, but they are more like window wells (I live in the lower level of an apt in the city)  He is exposed to moonlight and sunlight, but it definitely is not like getting a normal amount of sunlight from a regular window.  When I get home in the afternoon or evening I have plenty of light on for him and several days a week let him roam the bathroom.  He seems to be a pretty happy chin but I just wanted to dbl check.  Thanks for the feedback!

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:22:06 AM »

He should have no problems then, chins really do like darkness is keeps them relaxed
Pages: [1]   Go Up