Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new treats  (Read 2561 times)

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
new treats
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »

With all this talk of what they can't have, I just decided to have a look at the new box of treats I got the girls.  The ingredients are:  Rose hips, carob, potatoes, corn meal, and mountain ash berries.  They are all dried up. 

Is this ok for them?  I give them one raisin when they go back in their cage, but I like to give them treats as we hang out together.

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
Re: new treats
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 03:08:29 PM »

I haven't personally heard of that kind of mix. I give mine the occasional rose hip. I want to say I read somewhere that corn was not good for them, but I don't know about corn meal. As long as the mix is safe, I don't see a problem as long as too many treats are not given. Where did you get the treat mix? If it was just from the pet store, I would still be careful. I know of several products sold at pet stores that are extremely unhealthy. I am sure others might know more about this particular mix.
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:58 PM »

It's called Vitakraft Chinchilla Cocktail.  I don't think I"ll get it again.  They're not too crazy about it.  There's dried green chunks which I guess are the veggies, adn I'm guessing the corn meal is binding it together.  I"m guessing they didn't dehydrate veggies, but instread mashed them all up.  It kinda grosses me out... I'll give them the rosehips, they don't really liek the mountain ash berries. 

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:22:24 PM »

That doesn't sound very tasty!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »

i don't think it is.   M'noke has started dropping the treats now instead of eating them, so we'll just stick to raisins!

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »

I always suggest staying along the lines of dried fruits that never had a pit.  Rosehips are ok for chins, corn is a no no tho it can cause a fungus in chinchillas.  Stay with the raisins and dried fruits they are good for the chins and seem to be more gentle on their digestive systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up