Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't have a Chinchilla but want one  (Read 4413 times)

Blazer

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Don't have a Chinchilla but want one
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:42:21 PM »

I have been wanting another animal and have desided on a Chinchilla and if you've read my profile you will Know i am an animal lover. Before i get a Chinchilla i want to know as much about them as i can.

Here are a few questions i have:

I have a couple lizards and a snake in the same room i plan on putting my chinchillas, would this stress out the chin. or would it get used to my three reptiles? My snake is small and dosen't come out alot it's only 2' long but it wil only get 4'-5' long. My lizards are also small they only get 20'' long.  If not i'll put it in another room.

What type of foods do you reccomend?

Do they need regular baths and dust baths or just dust baths?

I plan on getting a huge cage that is about 4'-5' tall how wide and how long should the cage be?

What cage accesseries do you reccomend?

About how much are Mosaic Chin.?

I know i am missing alot of questions so if you can answer as much of these questions as possible and tell me other things i need to know.

Thank you and i appreciate all that you can tell me!!!

Billydkd

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Don't have a Chinchilla but want one
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:05:07 PM »

Do not put your chin in the same room as the snake or lizzards,  As for food depends on what the chin is on now. Chins do not take water baths as this will cause fungus.  Dust only. Cage I would go a Chinchilla Mansion from http://www.qualitycage.com/chinchilla.html , also on the bottom of the page you will see a wheel that is safe for chins.
Billy

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Don't have a Chinchilla but want one
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:46:17 PM »

I have a couple lizards and a snake in the same room i plan on putting my chinchillas, would this stress out the chin. or would it get used to my three reptiles?
This really wouldn't be fair to the chinchillas or the reptiles, especially if the reptiles eat rodents.  Reptiles are cold blooded and need warm temperatures.  Chinchillas, on the other hand, need temperatures below 75 degrees and low humidity.

What type of foods do you reccomend?
It's best to see what the breeder is using and consider using the same type.

Do they need regular baths and dust baths or just dust baths?
Just dust baths unless it's absolutely necessary to give a water bath, which it generally is not.  If a water bath is given, the chinchilla will have to be blown dry on a cool setting until COMPLETELY dry to avoid fungus.

I plan on getting a huge cage that is about 4'-5' tall how wide and how long should the cage be?
Long and wide enough to make sure that it is sturdy and won't topple over.  :)  I agree that Quality Cage is a good manufacturer and their cages are well constructed.

What cage accesseries do you reccomend?
You'll want at least one hiding house (usually pine) and many, many chew toys.  You'll need a food dish and a water bottle.  A chinchilla-safe wheel is a great addition as are chinchilla-safe hammocks.

About how much are Mosaic Chin.?
Depends. I would say you can expect to pay between $100 and $200.  Price is determined based on many factors including gender, pedigree, age, fur quality, whether they've won any ribbons, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up