Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying Saucer + Tail Dance?  (Read 2781 times)

haseoandalkaid

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Flying Saucer + Tail Dance?
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:46:30 AM »

Well I have both a chin wheel and the flying saucer (I always feel like I just don't buy enough toys for them).  The first day Haseo poked at the saucer and then freaked out on me (he runs around the cage, barking?).  He does that with anything I put in the cage.  I used to worry about it, now I just figure it's his way of saying "HEY HEY SHE'S CHANGING MY HOME!"... Day two I come home from work, and he's WORKING that saucer.  He's been on it for three hours now and I don't know if he leaves it or not.  :) Haseo is such a quick learner.

While he was doing the flying saucer... his little tail bounces... the female, Alkaid, came to visit... and she must be horribly CONFUSED, cause she started her tail dance.  He chased her for a second to their "bed"... THEN RAN BACK TO THE SAUCER!  (he likes the saucer more?)  I am sitting here laughing to myself.  The female keeps looking to see if he's coming...  I wonder if I misinterpreted this :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Flying Saucer + Tail Dance?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »

(I always feel like I just don't buy enough toys for them) 
::silly::  Toys are good for your chin, but keep in mind they do take up space in his home.  You probably have a huge cage for him, so this may not apply to you, but for those of you who do not have huge cages, remember:  each chinchilla needs a minimum of 2 square feet ( open area, not taken up by anything else) for an adequate living space.

The first day Haseo poked at the saucer and then freaked out on me (he runs around the cage, barking?).  He does that with anything I put in the cage.
Chinchillas prefer consistency, they do tend to "freak-out" at new things, until they get use to them.

He's been on it for three hours now and I don't know if he leaves it or not.

Sounds like he is having fun.  Often I find my chins even sleeping on their flying saucer wheel.

she started her tail dance.
Hummmmm ... I've never see a female to the "Swish, Swish Tail" dance, only the males.

He chased her for a second to their "bed"... THEN RAN BACK TO THE SAUCER!  (he likes the saucer more?)
Doubtful, the wheel is his "new toy" and more than likely his mate is not in season.  If she were in season, it would be the wheel he would ignore.   ::)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

haseoandalkaid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »

I first bought a real simple cage and added shelves to it, but yes I bought a significantly larger cage to please Haseo.  When my dad first came to see the cage, he shook his head and asked me how much I spent.   :::grins:: He's not a chinchilla fan.  It's four stories and I leave the bottom half of the cage (two floors) pretty empty except for the food and the flying saucer.

I tried to organize the place, but unless I screwed everything to the floor--everything is a mess.  They have this bad habit of "flipping" objects over in their home.  Their igloo, their heavy wooden stand... I just gave up on making it look neat and just settle to cleaning around them.  They also love tearing everything apart that I set in there.  I added a hammock just the other day and Haseo swung on it and chewed on it until two straps snapped and then showed me the results of his hours of work.  He was proud of himself, I'm sure... I complimented his destructive skills and broke out the needle and thread.  At least now I have a good idea what kids will be like.   ::)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:24:59 AM »

::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: When answering many of the questions or referring to statements made, I will often speak in general terms ... what may not be true directly to any one person MAY pertain to someone else that just reads the thread, so please do not take anything I say personally.   ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::

It's four stories and I leave the bottom half of the cage (two floors) pretty empty except for the food and the flying saucer.

Any exercise wheel will cause some vibrations of the cage when the wheel is in use ... keeping their food on the bottom floor is an excellent idea!   ::nod::  Anything not on the bottom floor needs to be anchored in place when there is an exercise wheel in the cage.

They have this bad habit of "flipping" objects over in their home.  Their igloo, their heavy wooden stand... I just gave up on making it look neat and just settle to cleaning around them. 

:oops:   Please tell me you do NOT have one of those plastic "igloos" as a home or a hide-a-way for your chins.   
Anything plastic (except PVC pipe) for a chinchilla is a big   ::nono::
Plastic is hard, it breaks off in pieces, they eat it, it does not dissolve in the digestive tract and can cut his/her little insides up.

:oops: 
their heavy wooden stand

For the safety of your little one, please, anchor anything that is heavy or has sharp edges with bolts and screws or screws and washers.  I  get e-mails every day from people that have problems/accidents/sick chinchillas ... I have heard to many times about chins being injured/cut/broken bones or even killed by having a heavy object or a sharp object fall over on them, or fall from one ledge/floor to another one below. 

Anything that weighs 1/2 the weight or more of your chinchilla OR has any sharp edges is a hazard to your little ones.

IF you are a breeder or your chin is pregnant, please keep in mind heavy bowls (even the ceramic bowls with straight sides, that are normally safe for your chin) can be a danger to a new kit ... I found a two-day-old kit under a ceramic dish that had been flipped over on him by accident ... luckily it had just happened, he was not injured and was found in plenty of time before he could suffocate.

Chinchillas will chew almost anything ... even soft metals, such as aluminum, which is often used in or on small animal toys or as a holder for cuttlebones.  I have one chin, Cotton, that chewed all the way through a 1/4" aluminum rod and almost half way through it in a second session that same night.  Metals are not good for a chins tummy either.   ::puke::   I also had to replace all the aluminum trays I had special made for them (because aluminum does not rust) ... the top edges of the trays started looking like a knife with a serrated cutting edge.  Money wasted? No, just important and expensive lesson learned.

:)  Mistakes are part of being human ...
          Shareing our mistakes may save another chin's life.   ::nod::

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:39:16 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »

I added a hammock just the other day and Haseo swung on it and chewed on it until two straps snapped and then showed me the results of his hours of work.

I never even considered one of those hammocks b/c I pictured that.  :)

:oops:   Please tell me you do NOT have one of those plastic "igloos" as a home or a hide-a-way for your chins.   
Anything plastic (except PVC pipe) for a chinchilla is a big   ::nono::
Plastic is hard, it breaks off in pieces, they eat it, it does not dissolve in the digestive tract and can cut his/her little insides up.

:oops:

Yes- I made the mistake of the little plastic 'igloo' hide-a-ways as a temperary hide until we could finish our custom pine boxes and nesting boxes. They did not chew them at first but then I spotted a few teeth marks and I didn't like that at all. They like the wooden boxes better anyways.

Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

haseoandalkaid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »

Wow, I never even considered a wooden box, but now it makes more sense now that I think about it... you're right, they haven't tried chewing on the plastic igloo... YET... they've chewed that wooden stand all to pieces though...

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:03:54 PM »

I've seen females flirt with males by swishing their tails.  It's kind of neat to see both chins swish at each other.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »

I have seen chins that never bother with plastics while other just can't get enough.
I hate that so many of the cages sold in pet shops have plastic shelves. Some even have shelves with entry holes, those get chewed first. :::(((
A cardboard box would be better than plastic.Wood huts/boxes are the best.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up