Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets Talk about cages!!  (Read 4049 times)

Nefarous

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Saris
    • View Profile
Lets Talk about cages!!
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:34:53 PM »

Hi There Everyone!! I hope you are all well!! :::grins::

I have some questions regarding cages. What is a good cage size for 1 and also for 2 chins?

I have a 24" x 14" x 36" cage. 2 ramps, 1 balcony and 1 full middle floor! I have 1 chinny.
I need to cover my middle floor with something, preferable not wood as its not really cleanable. Any suggestions?

Do you guys have any advice on what makes a great cage?

Any pictures?

Thanks!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Lets Talk about cages!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:37:59 PM »

I usually suggest 2 ft square as a general idea of a 2 chinchilla cage, but I think yours is close enough.  Why do you need to cover the middle shelf?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Nefarous

• Saris
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

I am not 100% sure if Chins get this...but rats and rabbits for example can develop bumblefoot because of walking on wires. Of course its easier for them to develop this when they live in damp conditions, which won't be happening with my chinny. Also, for comfort reasons, personally I do not want my chin to walk on wire all day.  There is also the risk of catching their feet in the wire and breaking a leg. My cage spaces are not large, I could have hammies in my cage and they wouldn't get out... but there is still a chance of catching in the wire spaces.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »

As long as the cage wire is 1/2" X 1" you shouldn't have any problems with injuries.  Chinchillas can develop bumblefoot if they are on wire constantly, but it sounds as if your chinnie would have a place to go to rest his feet and not be on wire all the time.  So, it isn't neceesary to cover the floor.  But it wouldn't hurt him either.  It just comes down to personal preference I guess.  I have heard of people using cardboard because it is easily attainable and disposable, and wood of course, but as you mentioned that has to be replaced periodically. 

ebengston

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Have You Hugged Your Critters Today?
    • View Profile
    • Seeds of Hope Pet Rescue
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:53:28 PM »

I had a cage that had a second story and I just put several tiles over the wire. This way they were not always on wire, and the tiles also gave them a cool resting area!
Elizabeth & My Critters

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:03:38 PM »

My only concern would be if one pushed the tile off the wire onto another accidentally.  Did you have the tiles fastened in place?

ebengston

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Have You Hugged Your Critters Today?
    • View Profile
    • Seeds of Hope Pet Rescue
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:48:25 PM »

The second story of my cage was solid-except for a 12 inch by 12 inch(approx) opening. I had the tiles against the 3 solid sides. The tiles were too large to fit through the opening and also, the tiles were at least 2 inches thick. My rex rabbit who has the tiles in her cage now, cannot even move them. This was my personal experience, and because the cage was difficult to thoroughly clean, I dismantled it and no longer use it.
Elizabeth & My Critters

Nefarous

• Saris
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 08:59:24 AM »

My cage spaces are .5"x1". But I still feel there is a risk for injury, personally. I have no doubt that many people have never experience an injury as long as they have had CHins. But I guess it is personal perfences as you suggest. Also, when I get a second chin, I don't want one chin to pee on lvl 2 which falls through the wires on the chin below! lol

My chinny has the floor bottom which is solid and cardboard for now as rest areas.

Tiles are a great suggestion. I will consider this, thanks Ebengston!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »

::silly::  Tiles are good on the bottom floor ... for a second floor, I would want to ancor them in some way ... if they can't go through the opening, they could still go part of the way down with the sharp corner aimed downward. 

Also, as far as urine ... it could puddle on the tile, then roll down on another chin.  You might consider a baking pan with 4 sides with the tile inside of the pan to control location and urine.   :)  If the pan has a hole in the handles, it could easily be ancored to the second floor of the cage.

Ramps are where most chins get hurt ... a solid ramp is best ... if you use a ramp at all ... chinchillas usually jump from level to level with ease when there are no ramps.   They are also good climbers on the walls of the cage.

Wood is good, but needs to be kept cleaned and replaced anytime there is a serious illness.

Cardboard is handy, cheap and disposable, but very messy when chewed in pieces and thrown from one end of the cage to the other.  But, if you don't mind that ... Kleenex boxes (remove plastic first) make great hide-a-ways and chew toys.  ;)

NO regular PLASTICS, PLEASE!!!

4" or 5" PVC pipe is great for chins to play on, play in, hide in, sleep in, and are 100% safe and washable!  You can buy the pipe and have it cut in 6 to 10" pieces or use the various "T", "Y" and other shapes that can be purchased.  This is the only plastic that I know of that is safe for chinchillas.   :::grins::  (Take your check book ... the good stuff is not cheap.)

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »

Cheech's favourite toy is a box and especially the ones you get the ten packs of coke a cola cans in. They say 'easlily fits in the fridge' on the side and I have an amazing picture of her with just her head poking out and that written on the side. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up