Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins That Are From pet Stores  (Read 6357 times)

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chins That Are From pet Stores
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:30:46 PM »

My chin, Chico, is a standard grey male. He came from petsmart and has had two homes as mentioned by them. Apparently people claim to be allergic to them and return them. I think its just the responsibility of owning one.

Anyways, the first day he was ....very lethargic. After a while I realized what it was. New environment, AGAIN. More people, again. But now he's pretty playful but he doesn't really like to come to the humans too much. Do you think holding a raisin out for him to get him to come is a good idea? Or should I just get him to let me pet him and then give him a raisin?

Also it never appears as if he sleeps...ever. Can they sleep with their eyes open and why does he prefer the corner without any shade as opposed to his box? He's 6-7 months old.

TNChinChin

• <3 ChinChin <3
    • View Profile
Re: Chins That Are From pet Stores
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:19:36 AM »

Well, my first chin { Merlin } I had recieved from petSmart myself.. I had to return him due to he had a raging case of earmites and mange. I would have treated him myself, but I have a border collie who is extremely supsceptable to Mange due to genetics.  {The vet said it was possible for her to get it if she was near the Chin alot.}

A new environment could stress out a chinny from what I've heard- it's also why most breeders do not like to ship by plane, lots of environment changes and dangers to the chin.

I would suggest first holding a raisin out and make sure he gets it from your hand, the more you do it, the more he'll see you as not a threat, then you can try placing the raisin higher and higher so he gets used to your arm. I know my Chin-Chin  likes using my arm as a perch now lol!

Also, I do believe they -can- sleep with their eyes open like rats. Chin-Chin often sleeps on the highest point of the cage aswell where there is no shade at all.  Mine didn't use his nest either until the second week of having him. Now he uses it all the time, and occasionally still sleeps on his perch.

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »

Kind of scary that he can sleep with his eyes open, if its true. But, I tried giving him a raisin last night considernig he's never tasted one, he won't be tempted at first. So I scratched behind his ears and then gave him the raisin. He's not very skiddish, he just hates to be held or feel like he's about to be picked up. And sometimes oepning the cage scares him cause of the way it pulls on the cage. But I couldn't afford a higher quality at the moment.

tinabeana

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »

My Maggie is from petsmart... I told myself I wasn't getting a pet store chin and then the sales guy put her in my hands. I couldn't say no.

Your chinchilla sounds just like how Maggie was when we brought her home... and still is sometimes. She never seemed to sleep but as she's gotten used to us - she'll just flop on her side and sleep with her little legs sticking out, occasionally with her eyes open.

I wouldn't say she loves to be pet but she doesn't seem to mind it, she'll let us pet her head and stroke her back. She's also gotten to the point where she will jump in our hands. We got into the habit of not letting her jump out of the cage on her own, she has to walk on our hands first and this is the only way she'll let herself be held. Usually with one hand supporting her back legs and one hand in front of her that she can lean on. Anytime you try to grip her or she feels your fingers close around her she will kick. We've also rewarded her with a treat when she gets back into the cage, a rose hip or a small piece of papaya.

I'd say make friends with him like TNChinChin mentioned and get him used to your hands.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »

You never really know what happened to him. I didn't think you could return an animal for allergies... I do know petsmart has a 14 day thing but I thought that was if it was sick or if it died. We got 2 gerbils a few months ago from there and they both were very sick and died.. but it was weeks before that happened.

The poor thing has been through a lot it sounds like. You never know how he was treated.

I would say you can start by offering a treat (only one a day) Once he's used to you being by the cage and giving treats, put your hand very still in the cage and let him do as he pleases. He'll probably smell and nibble. Start to slowly wiggle you fingers and then move onto touching his chest. Rub his chest and collar bone and behind his ears.. then the top of his head. It takes at least a week to 2 weeks to get comfortable. I have one chin that took a while.. he didn't like to be touched but now he begs for rubs.

Some chins may never want to be pet much.. they are all different.

I haven't ever seen a chin sleep with their eyes open.. but 2 of my boys perfer sleeping in the corner by their home, not in it. Not sure why but I wouldn't worry about it
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 05:50:59 PM »

You never really know what happened to him. I didn't think you could return an animal for allergies... I do know petsmart has a 14 day thing but I thought that was if it was sick or if it died. We got 2 gerbils a few months ago from there and they both were very sick and died.. but it was weeks before that happened.

The poor thing has been through a lot it sounds like. You never know how he was treated.

I would say you can start by offering a treat (only one a day) Once he's used to you being by the cage and giving treats, put your hand very still in the cage and let him do as he pleases. He'll probably smell and nibble. Start to slowly wiggle you fingers and then move onto touching his chest. Rub his chest and collar bone and behind his ears.. then the top of his head. It takes at least a week to 2 weeks to get comfortable. I have one chin that took a while.. he didn't like to be touched but now he begs for rubs.

Some chins may never want to be pet much.. they are all different.

I haven't ever seen a chin sleep with their eyes open.. but 2 of my boys perfer sleeping in the corner by their home, not in it. Not sure why but I wouldn't worry about it

Great! Its good to know that chins probably dont like their homes except to hide in. Im assuming its because they like an airy-feel.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 07:26:29 PM »

Great! Its good to know that chins probably dont like their homes except to hide in. Im assuming its because they like an airy-feel.
[/quote]

You're probably right. I do think its cooler outside their homes and it's a lot fresher air. My Isabella and Oswald are in their homes a lot during the day. Izzy seems to get warm and I have a tile in her cage to cool her down. If its in the evening or early morning all I have to do is say hello to my little babies and they all pop out of their houses and come straight to the front of the cages to get rubbed and loved on.  :::grins::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 12:11:38 PM »

You can offer your chin 1/3 teaspoon of OLD FASHIONED oat meal.  It can not be quick cook.

You will have a friend forever if you put the old fashioned oatmeal in your hand for him to eat.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

You can offer your chin 1/3 teaspoon of OLD FASHIONED oat meal.  It can not be quick cook.

You will have a friend forever if you put the old fashioned oatmeal in your hand for him to eat.

I bought him some oraganic hot cereal (rollled oats) with flaxseeds (=

Sillychinchilly

• Owned by Pixel
  • Miss Pixel!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:48:10 PM »

Old fashioned? Is that the Quaker brand that comes in the cylinder shaped box, or are you meaning something else?
~*~ Annie ~*~
        ~*~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 06:45:17 AM »

::silly::  Always keep in mind that each chinchilla has it's own personality, just like humans, but usually better.   ::nod::   
Not all chinchillas will like the same things.  Always give treats as 'treats' ... something special and with moderation!

When you buy a chinchilla from a pet store, you are, most of the time, buying a ranch chinchilla.  Ranch chinchillas that go to pet stores are usually the "left-overs" after the best have been staved for breeding, shows, sales to other breeders and to some individual owners.  You do not know it's family history or it's exact birthdate. 

This can mean trouble from the get go.

Chinchillas that are born in and grow up in a ranch environment are usually held very little ...
1) At birth to determine it's sex ... male or female
2) When it is weaned at 6 weeks and put into a holding cage.
3) When it is placed in a shipping box for a distributor to pick it up.
4) The distributor places it in a holding cage ... usually with other chinchillas the same sex.
5) When it is put back in a shipping box to be taken to a pet store.
These first five meetings between chinchilla and humans are with humans that do know how to handle them.
Now, if you think that was a ruff start:
6) When it arrives at a pet store, it is placed in an enclosure for display to the public. 
.....a) LOCATION: This is usually glass enclosed, without adequate air-flow, often near screeching birds (a natural enemy of chinchillas), or barking dogs. 
.....b) NECESITIES: They are usually given a bowl of water (a 'no-no'),
.....c) IF it is given a dust bath, it is often dust bath sand instead of the dust bath dust it needs and is left in the cage 24/7 (another "no-no"),
.....d) a plastic hut (another "no-no")
.....e) It rarely gets proper food, is given chunks of raw veggies like the Guinea pigs (bad for a chinchilla),
.....f) is handled (or should I say miss-handled) by those who usually do not know how to properly handle  a chinchilla. 
.....g) It gets poked at, not held properly and scared half out of it's wits by customers and employees alike. 
.....h) The temperature is rarely what it needs to be. 
.....i) The location of the cage, if it gets a cage, is either drafty or in direct sunlight.
.....j)  The employees usually know little about chinchillas, there fore they can not properly instruct the one that purchases the chinchilla.
.....k)  The new owners will usually get sold a book for/about chinchillas that is written by someone who does not know what they are talking about.   

This is only an example of the "normal" trials and tribulations of a pet store chin ... there are other things that happen to them due to the lack of training of employees and purchasers of chinchillas.  (Things like chinchillas being raised outside instead of inside like they need to be ...  OR ... allowed to play outside, etc.)

:flames: You got it ... I think chinchillas should NEVER be put in pet stores! 

:::(((  Keep in mind ... should you decide to purchase a pet store chin ... because you want to "rescue" it ... you are only giving the pet store owner a reason ($$$) to bring in more chins to sell and put even more of them through the same thing.

A new environment could stress out a chinny from what I've heard- it's also why most breeders do not like to ship by plane, lots of environment changes and dangers to the chin.

Many times chinchillas that are shipped (as with many other animals) ... they will often get left out on the tarmat ... exposed to the elements (heat, cold, wind & rain) ... they are not suppose to have this happen to them, but sometimes it does.  The shipping of any animal is with strict regulations on the sender ... proper cage, a health check from a vet ... same as with the other animals that fly to their new homes.  Even though all animals have health certificates, this does not stop them from barking, screeching or hissing ... noises that can scare a chinchilla to death.  This is why I do not ship chinchillas.

Apparently people claim to be allergic to them and return them. I think its just the responsibility of owning one.
It is rare that a person is allergic to a chinchilla, even when they are allergic to other furry animals.  Most medically related problems with new owners of chinchillas is the bedding (allergy to pinewood) or the dust bath dust (people haveing COPD - respitory problems).  Both of these problems can be remidied by using bedding made from recycled paper if the owner is alergic to pine ... and/or using the dust bath sand instead of the dust bath dust.  The dust bath sand I do not reccommend as a rule because it is rough on the chinchilla fur and does not clean it as well, but, when someone wants and loves a chin, sometimes the chin can tolerate the dust bath sand to be able to live with someone who has COPD, ashma or bronkitis, but really loves the chin.   ::nod::

Time and patients with a chin are always needed ... more for some than others. 

Raisins are known to be a favorite treet for chinchillas ... but keep in mind ... many may have never had a raisin before .... cut the raisin in half or 1/3s and let the chin taste the soft moist flavor of inside of the raisin. 

Of course there are some chins that do not like raisins, so try cranraisins (dried cranberries), papaya or rolled oats.  These are also good treats for your chin.

Old fashion oats are the kind that take about 20 minutes to cook ... NOT the 5 minute or instant/quick oatmeal.  The old fashon kind is OK for chinchillas as a treat, but the natural rolled or crimped oats are the best.

Rolled or crimped oats may be purchased at most farm stores.  This is the natural oat, as grown on the plant, before processing ... this is the best oats for chinchillas.

Its good to know that chins probably dont like their homes except to hide in. Im assuming its because they like an airy-feel.

Chinchillas like the 'closed-in' feeling of the security of the hut ...
BUT ... there can be a build up of body heat inside the hut that will make them want to find a cooler place. 
ALSO ... if there is a build up of body waste (urine or feces) inside the hut, the fumes are not plesant and can cause illness ... always make sure the hut is clean for your chin ... large openings or entrance/exits are good for their homes when made on the opposite sides to allow a free flow of air for the inside of the hut.  A 1/2 floor with an entrance or exit will also allow for the natural flow of  air for the inside of the hut.

The rocks and small caves of their natural habitat stayed cool, dark and safe for the chinchilla in the wild.

A clean tile inside the hut on a daily basis is good also.   ::nod::  The tile will help to cool the body of the chinchilla and help with the problem of removing waste inside the hut.

::wave::  Jo Ann

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:01:01 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chicosmama

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 12:53:46 PM »

Well, I can't take him back now and suprisingly he is in good health so far (yes I've checked) and when I have some extra money I am gonig to find a vet that deals specificaly with chins to look at him. But, he's not mean, he just doesn't like to be held for long periods of time. I can't help I couldn't find a breeder close enough. =/

Sillychinchilly

• Owned by Pixel
  • Miss Pixel!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »

I was hired on at a pet store some time ago to tend the Chins because I went in and had a fit over the way they were being handled and their food, etc. None of them had ever SEEN a dust bath, much less HAD one. I don't consider myself a chinchilla EXPERT, but I certainly know more about them than those idiots do. Anyway, they hired me on the spot, and they don't sell the chins on the days I don't work.

I think Pixel probably originally came from a pet store, seeing that the people at the humane society thought she was a male, among other things. Thanks Jo Ann, for helping me figure out that she was a girl. She's much happier being Pixel. :)

I hate to think that she may have been treated like that, though. It just tears my heart out, and I know it can't have been any better at the humane society.
I feel the need to go cuddle with her.
~*~ Annie ~*~
        ~*~

tinabeana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »

I told myself I'd never buy any animal from a pet store yet both of my chinchillas are pet store chins. :-(

Maggie we bought because she tugged at my heart strings and I couldn't say no, it's poor excuse but we learned our lesson.

We bought Stoli out of pity. She was at a terrible mom and pop pet store for as long as we'd been going there to visit her, at least 8 months. She was given terrible food and living in poor conditions. I agonized about it for weeks and we bought her only after the store owner made it clear she wouldn't buy more chinchillas and she even gave her to us at a discount.

I think we really lucked out, we ended up with healthy chinchillas even if they are a little bratty and mischievous. I think that's because we spoil them and pine over them.

Anyways that's it for our pet store chins. Well kinda. If we did get more chins we'd probably try to help some rescue chins instead of getting new ones.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »

I went to a store we thought was reptiles and fish only but there were bunnies and one chinchilla. There was no AC in the building and I couldn't tell if the chin was sleeping or not... it was so still and reacted to nothing. To my surprise it was a rusty beige color.. not standard. I felt so bad for it. All I could do was say it wasn't right and time to go.  ::tickedoff::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up